• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World's Best Winger? Discuss.

Big fan of Jane. Relatively fast, relatively strong. Technical skills are excellent and he's got a fantastic rugby brain.

A bit like Smith now i think of it.

Cory Jane has my pick, too. When he reaches top gear, there is no stopping him. Great vision.

Cory Jane is great, but he is really a better fullback than a winger. Hosea Gear is my favourite pure winger, as he has the physical attributes I most value in a winger. Cory Jane isn't all that quick for a winger, he's just got a very good rugby brain and amazing technical skills. That being said, I wish he'd be in a better team than the Hurricanes.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the NZ options.

Cory Jane had a pretty special 2009, IMO that year he was the biggest attacking influence in the NZ side. Still good in 2010 but not quite to the same level. Even though he's had a quiet start to this season with the canes I have a feeling he could end up having a very good international season and I dont think his form so far for the canes truely reflects his form and ability right now. Not long ago he said in an interview that he was in the best shape physically that he's ever been for the time of year and if he can hold & build on that going into the business end of the season for the AB's I believe this could be another big year for him. My only doubt about his is his defence against bigger opositon backs, his small size leaves him at a bit of a disadvantage in those situations and is a concern going into critical games like world cup where having a flawless defence rules.

Sivivatu was prob the best winger in the world for quite a few periods of time over his carrier and as recently as 2008 - 2009. Last year was a write off with injury. He's made an interesting start to the chiefs season where he's been a bit error prone, making a number of knock on's and missed a few tackles. But he's also leading the competition in many attacking stats like line breaks and busted tackles which can only suggest that he could very well end up a big force later this season if he gets his mind & body right.

Hosea Gear. The way he finished last season you would have to say he ended up being the form internationl winger in rugby and if it wasn't for an injury that kept him out of much of the super14 and hindered his chances for all black selection in June he would have made a huge impact for the AB's. His form for the Maori was sensational. If he stays injury free he will be first in line at 11 this season.

Toeava. Doesn't get much gametime at wing in super rugby because can can pretty much play any position 10-15 when required and ends up being the fill in guy for the blues. But for test rugby he has been at his best on the wing. His form on the EoY tour saw him hold the 14 jersey even though Jane had recovered from a minor injury.

Lelia Masanga. Ok so he only has one test, but IMO pound for pound he very well may be the best winger in the world, maybe lacks ~5cm in height and a few kg in weight needed to be a regular selection for the AB's even though IMO his determination and commitment seem to more than make up for any shortfall in size. Made huge improvements on his ability on defence and under the hugh ball in the last couple of years and still has that raw speed & power he uses to "lomu bowl" over oposition defenders. One of those rare players that will beat the first defender almost every time and if you get him the ball with a bit of space he will almost always make something happen.

For the NZ options.

Cory Jane had a pretty special 2009, IMO that year he was the biggest attacking influence in the NZ side. Still good in 2010 but not quite to the same level. Even though he's had a quiet start to this season with the canes I have a feeling he could end up having a very good international season and I dont think his form so far for the canes truely reflects his form and ability right now. Not long ago he said in an interview that he was in the best shape physically that he's ever been for the time of year and if he can hold & build on that going into the business end of the season for the AB's I believe this could be another big year for him. My only doubt about his is his defence against bigger opositon backs, his small size leaves him at a bit of a disadvantage in those situations and is a concern going into critical games like world cup where having a flawless defence rules.

Sivivatu was prob the best winger in the world for quite a few periods of time over his carrier and as recently as 2008 - 2009. Last year was a write off with injury. He's made an interesting start to the chiefs season where he's been a bit error prone, making a number of knock on's and missed a few tackles. But he's also leading the competition in many attacking stats like line breaks and busted tackles which can only suggest that he could very well end up a big force later this season if he gets his mind & body right.

Hosea Gear. The way he finished last season you would have to say he ended up being the form internationl winger in rugby and if it wasn't for an injury that kept him out of much of the super14 and hindered his chances for all black selection in June he would have made a huge impact for the AB's. His form for the Maori was sensational. If he stays injury free he will be first in line at 11 this season.

Toeava. Doesn't get much gametime at wing in super rugby because can can pretty much play any position 10-15 when required and ends up being the fill in guy for the blues. But for test rugby he has been at his best on the wing. His form on the EoY tour saw him hold the 14 jersey even though Jane had recovered from a minor injury.

Lelia Masanga. Ok so he only has one test, but IMO pound for pound he very well may be the best winger in the world, maybe lacks ~5cm in height and a few kg in weight needed to be a regular selection for the AB's even though IMO his determination and commitment seem to more than make up for any shortfall in size. Made huge improvements on his ability on defence and under the hugh ball in the last couple of years and still has that raw speed & power he uses to "lomu bowl" over oposition defenders. One of those rare players that will beat the first defender almost every time and if you get him the ball with a bit of space he will almost always make something happen.

As usual a good analysis. However, I'm still nowhere near convinced about Masaga's defense - while I agree it has improved, he still can be a liability at time on defense. For example Andre Taylor made him look pretty silly on several occasions against the Canes - on one occasion he beat Masaga without him even laying a hand on him! Masaga's main problem on defense is that he seems to get caught 'flat-footed' - luckily this is something that can be corrected. If he can sort out his defense he could really push for an AB's spot, as he can be almost unstoppable on attack at times.

I've always liked Masaga, and he should have got more than one test match. I was appalled when people wanted to swap Nanai-Williams for Masaga, just because of Masaga's talent. I don't think size is every really a big issue in defence, as some of the best defenders are small guys, however Masaga's defense does need to improve a bit before he starts in the AB's. I can't see him making the RWC squad unfortunitly.

I think Clerc should get a mention, at least. Not the flashest of players especially since he's never fully recovered from that injury, but makes very few mistakes, is always at the right place at the right time, and is a monster in defense.
Max Medard is pretty good too...

Heymans was world class 2 till 2 years ago. That try he scored against the AB's is something special...

Last edited:
I think Clerc should get a mention, at least. Not the flashest of players especially since he's never fully recovered from that injury, but makes very few mistakes, is always at the right place at the right time, and is a monster in defense.
Max Medard is pretty good too...

Heymans was world class 2 till 2 years ago. That try he scored against the AB's is something special...

I've never really rated Clerc, always seemed like a guy who is made good by playing for good teams. Heymans on the other hand, huge fan. Just pulls out some magic.

i agree on teh masanga comments... but in an all black team with smith in it.. surely his defence could be covered.. a little to take the pressure of that side of his game...?

Anyone see Gear's two finishes against the Cheetahs?
Anyone like to jump on the bandwagon now? :D

Hosea Gear is good but he has some serious limitations to his game which is why he wasn't a regular All Black until recently.

Tommy Bowe is a brilliant all round winger. No real weakness to his game. I'd put Cory Jane in a similar bracket.

James o Connor is class and so is corey Jane but Greatest has to be the mighty oak, Keith mannion got a few caps for brive, and is playing for Bayonne this season blistering pace and dancing feet no one can catch him and he always beats his man good hands and a cool calm head . Scored 6 tries in his first 3 cAps and has continued to be as prolific a try scorer also setting up a fair few. Go on the goose!!!!!

Shane Williams. End of.

article-1373206-0070BC4900000258-997_468x400.jpg

That ought to ruffle plenty of feathers.

How many times do we have to go through this exact same thread....Ryan Giggs is the best winger ever!

Tommy Bowe. Anyone who argues will be killed by a blind scottish midget. Only drew mitchell comes close. Chris Ashton isn't and anyone who says he is will be raped then tortured then killed by a gaggle of blind scottish midgets.

I still maintain that Shane is :p if you disagree you may send all the blind scottish midgets at me you can lay your hands on :L