• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Would you ever get tired of...

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
As I was taking a shhit; I get bored during that, so interrogate myself with random questions; I suddenly thought of a surrealistic scenario where my team would constantly win a ***le. Like, an enormous streak from now on til, like, when I even possibly stop caring about Rugby, in about another 40 years.

So, my question: would you ever get bored of seeing your team win the ***le every single year (let's say 6N, or 4N) ? It's really a deeper question than it looks, but without getting cheaply philosophical: the obvious answer would be 'no'. And then again, a cliché answer would be 'yes'. But would we really ever get tired of it ? The only real-life example I can think of that could come in handy here is Clermont former invincibility at home. I'm sure the fans never got tired of winning during that 76-game win streak...

But in a context like the Six Nations, it's different. The stakes, the psychology of it, the effect on the fans. As surreal a vision as it is, I think it's interesting to ask the question: would it ever get boring ? Would you stop caring after 10 years ? 20 years ?

What would it say about us if we didn't get bored of it ? Would that make us petty and vain; tiny little creatures that cheer with the same intensity for something that's been repeating for far too long ? Or is it a very exaggerated paradigm of how the "small things" in life never get old, and human beings as a species are so easy to please (that even in perpetual re-occurrence, they maintain the excitement) ?
It would also mean we're all, at least as a vast majority, amazingly selfish and so self-centered (which we are, anyways) that we would settle for winning all the time and not caring about others at all. Like everything we "belong to" is all that matters, and all the rest, all of the "otherness" means exactly nothing.
We are a tiny little thing, aren't we...and pandas aren't bears.

I think even if your team keeps winning there is still the manner of how you win. Say for example, the ABs - their supporters expect not only a win but to win well, and I don't just mean the margin on the score board, I mean the ability they show on the field, style etc etc. So yeah I don't think supporters can really ever get tired of their team winning cos there will always be something else to focus on. Personally, watching Leinster has been frustrating. We manage to get the win and are now in the Rabo finals but I don't even feel excited. Even if we win I'll just be like blegh whatever. We've been winning playing **** rugby; however, if we were playing impressive rugby then I wouldn't get bored of winning cos there's a spectacle to look forward to and not a frustrating, error riddled, bore fest to tune into. I suppose that makes us humans very hard to please cos isn't the aim of the game simply to win? Unfortunately we aren't simple creatures so it'll take a lot to please us and it will always take more than just winning.

I think it would get boring. Believe it or not, I think there were quite a few kiwis who were relatively happy England won in 2012, because games were becoming pretty predictable. For me there is never really a game I want the All Blacks to lose, but I don't think never losing a game would be enjoyable at all. I think that's why New Zealander's love RWCs, because there is always that jeopardy of even if you're the best team in the world for four years, one bad game and you're out. If we won every RWC from 1987 to now, I'd imagine rugby would really struggle in terms of popularity both world wide and at home. I guess it's the reason why Australia Rugby League fans are much more excited by a SoO than an international..

BE Clermont's undefeated run is 77 games not 76!!!!!!!!! sorry, before someone critises for some reason or other.

Yes, because it would become boring and predictable. It would also hurt the game too much, morale would hit rock bottom as teams constantly on the losing end lose fans and financial support. The thrill of the game - of any sport, actually - is the spirit of competition, and if the battle is always one-sided the thrill just goes out of the game. How thrilled do we get when we see the underdog take down the top dog? Even when the top dog is my team, I still love a good underdog win. And I do prefer a balanced competition, one in which both teams on the pitch have a chance of coming out on top. It just makes the game all the more entertaining, and certainly more interesting.

Except when NZ plays France...then I ALWAYS want the kiwis to win, just to see the French pout. ;)

das

mmm yes das, but you wouldn't actually know you'd win every single year, I'm talking about a realistic situation where every year there's a chance the record might end. You don't actually know your team will win, every respective year. And French people pout for a living all year long, nothing special to look at...

Nah, it'd still be boring. In fact, it's getting kinda boring seeing NZ on top all the time. I'd love to see a more competitive fight for top spot in rugby union. I think that's one thing I've been enjoying most about Super Rugby this year - it's far more balanced this year than last.

That doesn't mean I'd like to see my favorite teams lose all the time, but I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more variety in the top 15-20 teams internationally, and let's say the top 5-10 teams in any given domestic or club competition.

das

Uhhhh....you being the only person here who ever replies to my comments?

das

fk that's so depressing...I can't even imagine being on a forum and having me as the only person replying to my posts...aw God....my stoma..........
das you poor thing, I....I had no idea...
So you're saying you WOULD get tired of seeing NZ win ? YOU IMPOSTER !! I hope you bite your tongue tonight while having dinner...slightly, like, no blood but just, the annoyance of it....THERE !

I've always thought it's a very British thing, to root for the underdog. I find it mindnumbingly boring if one team wins something every time (even if i support the aforesaid team).
I may be wrong (and I'm sure any USA members will inform me ;)) but I really can't understand the 'yay! We steamrollered them again!' attitude that I tend to find from the NFL/MLB/NHL fans that I am in fantasy leagues with (I left out NBA as I find it the most boring sport in the world :p)

PS. I reply to your comments Das! (although it's usually via a reputation note, or pm, as I'd hate to think people knew I was talking to you)
PPS. Same goes for you Ewis! ;)

fk that's so depressing...I can't even imagine being on a forum and having me as the only person replying to my posts...aw God....my stoma..........
das you poor thing, I....I had no idea...

I am a glutton for punishment! :D

So you're saying you WOULD get tired of seeing NZ win ? YOU IMPOSTER !! I hope you bite your tongue tonight while having dinner...slightly, like, no blood but just, the annoyance of it....THERE !

Yes...I would get tired of seeing NZ win ALL the time. It's just like the Sharks/Crusaders match - even though I'm a Saders fan, I was thrilled to see the Sharks win with a 14-man side against a team that's been on a winning streak. It just made everything all the more exciting.

I've always thought it's a very British thing, to root for the underdog. I find it mindnumbingly boring if one team wins something every time (even if i support the aforesaid team).
I may be wrong (and I'm sure any USA members will inform me ;)) but I really can't understand the 'yay! We steamrollered them again!' attitude that I tend to find from the NFL/MLB/NHL fans that I am in fantasy leagues with (I left out NBA as I find it the most boring sport in the world :p)

Yeah, I don't get it either. Americans do NOT like to lose.

PS. I reply to your comments Das! (although it's usually via a reputation note, or pm, as I'd hate to think people knew I was talking to you)

And I always appreciate your replies! I was being a bit facetious about Big E being the only one replying to me. I'm usually either too late to the party, or just too generic in my comments to stir up the conversation. That, and I think no one wants to pick a fight with a dame. :)

das

The Atlanta Braves in MLB had a very long run of finishing first in their division(14 consecutive seasons), and indeed their fans got bored of it. They started getting poor crowds for playoff games let alone regular season games.

I always thought it was the total opposite LOL, I can't beleive British fans trot out and see the same teams win in their soccer leagues year in year out. In North America part of the reason salary caps exist is to create parity(and of course finacial stability) so your team actually has a hope in hell of winning at the start of a given season.

Last edited:
Whenever I come home, me and my brother will play the career mode on Rugby Challenge 2. We're now onto our fourth thirteen-season career (First as the Ospreys, second as Scarlets, third as Wasps and now we're half-way through Clermont), and have won the league ***le on all but one occasion, and the European Cup on the vast majority, too. Bloody hell, it gets dull after a few seasons.

Although this is far from the point I was making in the OP, I would like to talk about that competitive spirit a bit more. Winning is the goal of any competition, sports or other. No issue there, everybody gets that. But as RichTaff and das elude to it, the American way of thinking (as a good example) has taken that competitive mindset and made it into such an exaggeration it turns on the ridiculous. It gets silly, is what I'm saying.
You see it in the NBA: players constantly, constantly, cons-tan-tly repeat how much they hate to lose, how competitive they are. Michael Jordan during the 92 Olympics in Spain kept playing a teammate at ping-pong who was really good at it, so does the anecdote go, and kept losing and asking to play again. He said he couldn't accept losing at anything. During MJ's HOFame speech, he must have pronounced the word "competitive", or the phrase "because I was so competitive" at least 30 times in 20minutes of self-centered blabber.
There's a point where it just gets SILLY, downright stupid - is what I'm saying here. Like, do everything you can to be the best you can be and sacrifice for the team, that's all good, but then there's nothing more to it. It gets just childish and utterly silly when you put your head down and become desperate for success, and can't see anything else around.
This will sound cheesy but it's nonetheless true, if you let competition become your life, you've already lost.

Although this is far from the point I was making in the OP, I would like to talk about that competitive spirit a bit more. Winning is the goal of any competition, sports or other. No issue there, everybody gets that. But as RichTaff and das elude to it, the American way of thinking (as a good example) has taken that competitive mindset and made it into such an exaggeration it turns on the ridiculous. It gets silly, is what I'm saying.
You see it in the NBA: players constantly, constantly, cons-tan-tly repeat how much they hate to lose, how competitive they are. Michael Jordan during the 92 Olympics in Spain kept playing a teammate at ping-pong who was really good at it, so does the anecdote go, and kept losing and asking to play again. He said he couldn't accept losing at anything. During MJ's HOFame speech, he must have pronounced the word "competitive", or the phrase "because I was so competitive" at least 30 times in 20minutes of self-centered blabber.
There's a point where it just gets SILLY, downright stupid - is what I'm saying here. Like, do everything you can to be the best you can be and sacrifice for the team, that's all good, but then there's nothing more to it. It gets just childish and utterly silly when you put your head down and become desperate for success, and can't see anything else around.
This will sound cheesy but it's nonetheless true, if you let competition become your life, you've already lost.

Simply put, in America the importance of the athlete surpasses the importance of the team. Each athlete, be it in football, baseball, basketball, hockey - even golf - is looking for those endorsements. They want the big contracts with the sneaker company, or the cereal company, or the car company, and these companies won't endorse losers. So those superstars aren't necessarily playing for the love of the game as much as they're playing for the love of the money and lifestyle that comes with being at the top. To start losing means to lose out on a lot more than a trophy.

Of course, the team as a whole also wants to win because winning means $$$. But American fans do tend to be loyal to their teams, even if they lose all the time (well...except in Philly - we boo our teams when they lose :D ). But fans will not be loyal to a player who loses all the time, but I think that's pretty universal and not just an American thing.

AND it's after 11 am, I haven't had a bite to eat or a sip to drink, and I'm hungry and starting to ramble. I'll see what you make of what I just said, and decide later if I have anything more to add.

das

Simply put, in America the importance of the athlete surpasses the importance of the team. Each athlete, be it in football, baseball, basketball, hockey - even golf - is looking for those endorsements. They want the big contracts with the sneaker company, or the cereal company, or the car company, and these companies won't endorse losers. So those superstars aren't necessarily playing for the love of the game as much as they're playing for the love of the money and lifestyle that comes with being at the top. To start losing means to lose out on a lot more than a trophy.

Of course, the team as a whole also wants to win because winning means $$$. But American fans do tend to be loyal to their teams, even if they lose all the time (well...except in Philly - we boo our teams when they lose :D ). But fans will not be loyal to a player who loses all the time, but I think that's pretty universal and not just an American thing.

AND it's after 11 am, I haven't had a bite to eat or a sip to drink, and I'm hungry and starting to ramble. I'll see what you make of what I just said, and decide later if I have anything more to add.

das

is that a tease ?! Are you being all confident you won't bite your tongue, like you're that cool ?!!

But yes you're right about all that. The U.S. do definitely have this "winner's" mentality, where if you're not a winner, you're automatically a loser, and second best is as good as nothing at all and all that...strive for excellence, yadi yada....very American. Gotta be the cool jock in high school, get all the pretty perfect blonde cheerleaders, graduate, get a prestigious job and a bimbo wife and lots of money with the big car, big house, happy neighborhood, all that stuff...the "American dream", it's all the same as what we're discussing here.
Being fairly conscious/knowledgeable of sports in America, and a long time NBA-fan, I do see there's this mentality over there where ppl judge players faster than anywhere else in the world. If a good team is assembled, they basically HAVE to win the ***le, there's no way making the finals even is remotely enough, and they're losers all the same no matter how far they'll make it, if it's not a ***le it's nothing at all. If a guy's a winner, all good. If he's anything else, boooooooo.

It's the side I have an issue with in the U.S. overall, not just in sports. Over-glorifying the heroes, and despising everybody else. The over-simplification and exaggeration of everything.

Finally, a quick digression:
in the NBA for example, players are judged on how many rings (***les) they've earned. So if a guy is an absolute genius, a prodigious virtuoso of hoops but never had the right team around him and coach, and may never win a ***le, people will always accuse him and blame him severely for it. The fact that a player has a ring or more is the strongest possible argument, stats, other accolades, enormous performances are only secondary, or less. Only the inevitable cases are recognized, and still not as much as they should: John Stockton, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Reggie Miller...never won ***les but people know who they are, although they WILL be missing in all-time great conversations just because they happened to have never been on a team that won a ***le.

Latest posts