• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Would you pick BOD in your squad to face South Africa

I'd definitely pick him to start the tests. We're not exactly blessed with quality centres at the moment and BOD is by far the best we have.
Not convinced he's the best choice for captain though but then again I prefer forwards to be captains so that may be colouring my view somewhat.

I dont think there is much debate required regarding the captaincy. He hasnt done a bad job for us really, but I'd prefer to see another do it, and let him just get on with playing the game.

Making BOD captain might put more pressure on him to preform. The captain of the Lions should be a forward, not a playmaker in the backline. This might make BOD preform better without the thought of captaining his team, and getting them through the match.

the captaincy will come down to who has a good 6N its probably gonna be a backrower or lock so i dont see any of the english lads making it just due to a lack of inexperiance. if ireland perform POC may get it but the same will be said for ryan jones and wales aswell as jason white and scotland. whoever it may be will have to look at nailing a first team spot for all 3 tests and theres alot of contenders in the backrow so i might just lean toward POc at the mo

If POC continues his form he's shown in the HEC then he'll probably captain the Lions, I know there's a lot of talk about Ryan Jones but there's a lot more competition for places in the back row than the second row and O'Connell does look to be a banker for a test start if the status quo remains as is. If O'Driscoll has an injury free season, big if I know, then he'll start the tests, he still has too much class to be left out ahead of the other options but not as captain even if my personal reservations over O'Connell's decision making remain.

I just hope to god Tindall or Noon aren't anywhere near the squad. [/b]
Have no fear, McGeechan isn't a chuffing idiot who selects numpties for the sake of media peer-pressure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jun 30 2008, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Would you pick BOD in your squad to face South Africa[/b]

No. Not right now, not with the form he's in.
He needs to put his hand up for a selection in the touring squad, let alone the starting squad.

As many others have stated, I think I'd select him, but not have him captaining the side. He needs to just worry about his playing for now, and I suspect the new Ireland coach whose name escapes me might be primed to select either O'Gara or O'Connell to captain the Irish through the AI's to let O'Driscoll have some time back just as a player and not have to worry about captaining the squad.

I still think he is the most all around talented 13 available in GB&Ireland at the moment. I don't think Tait is a better option, as I don't think his distribution is up to it, and I have never really rated Shanklin that highly. I do agree that Henson brings out the best in him, but even on his best day, I think O'Driscoll offers more.

he was very impressive on the weekend so perhaps hes back to sparkling form ill wait till the wasps game however that was a very porous edinburgh defence after all

To be honest he played very well against Wasps this weekend as well.
He's starting to climb back up as far as i'm concerned.

yeah I just don't know if he's at Lions standard.. and he isn't really pacey enough to be 13 anymore anyway.. it's likely for ireland he'll drop into 12 and Fitzgerald will play 13

a friend of the brother is physio with the leinster setup and apparently brian has only been running at about 75% for the last year or so but just wont take the time off he needs to recover properly. oh and apparently contepomi is really really bad at football lol

he still got pwnt toast. :)

the only good player in lions set up remotley would be lee byrne who stands out.

I would pick BOD for sure, he and Henson could be a formidable center combination for the Lions I think...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 5 2009, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Dec 30 2008, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And that would mean lots of intercept tries for JDV.....AWESOME :D[/b]

I think that's a possibility regardless of who the Lions pick
[/b][/quote]

Right you are An Tarbh :D , though I still feel that probably the best "experienced" center combination the Lions can pick.

Which other centers from England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland are Lions material...?ones I can think of are:

Matthew Tait (England)
Jamie Noon (England)
Dan Hipkiss (England)
Gordon D'Arcy (Ireland)
Luke Fitzgerald (Ireland)
Jamie Robinson (Wales)
Tom Shanklin (Wales)
Sonny Parker (Wales)
Nick de Luca (Scotland)
Andrew Henderson (Scotland)
Matt Evans (Scotland)

any others?