• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WRU Should Financially Back Region A Teams & Not Principality Premiership

The Scottish union has just announced tenders for a semi pro level below Pro14, they are calling it 'Super Six' as a working ***le. The teams can be current BT Premiership teams or amalgamations. Salaries will be £12000 per player.

They have also announced that below this, the game will be strictly amateur, to stop clubs over stretching themselves in trying to reach the top.

The WRU should do the same, base it around 6-8 teams and allocate the U23 academy players from regions to each team.

Below this level teams fully amateur.

That sounds like a great idea.

I'd maybe increase it to 10-12 in Wales' case, but I certainly agree with allocating U23 academy players.

It would help sides like Pontypool out, and if they can produce a potential Wales player of the future with the help provided then fantastic.

How about
RGC1808, Llanelli, Swansea, West Glamorgan, Cardiff, Valleys, Newport, East Wales.

Scotland could be,
Edinburgh City, (Currie, Heriots and Watsonians), Glasgow Hawks, Ayr, Stirling, Borders, Caledonia

You'd need the stadia as well, in order for it to work.

I would say

Tier 1 Llanelli, Swansea, RGC 1404, Bridgend, Cardiff, Pontypridd, Merthyr, Newport (Super 8, U23s)

Tier 2 Ebbw Vale, Aberavon, Carmarthen Quins, Neath, Bargoed, Caerphilly, Cross Keys, Bedwas (emphasis on developing U18s)

For Scotland:

Glasgow & Edinburgh plus

Borders (revive old team)

Ayrshire (could ground-share at Kilmarnock FC)

Central Belt Team (could ground-share at St. Johnstone FC)

Highlands (could ground-share at Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC or Ross County FC). The former would be my choice as they will need extra funding if they do not return to the SPL in the next few years. A ground-share could save them and help the development of rugby north of Inverness as well.

Latest posts