• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Xbox 360 or ps3

J

Jesse

I am going to make the change and get a next gen console so what one should i do. I am

getting it soley for the reason of madden 08 on next gen. i know that madden 08 is better

now on the xbox 360 but what will be better in the future. I am a little unsure with the roster

updates aswell, can you download them on both platforms if so how?

If you can help with this it will be much appreciated.

I would recommend the 360. The main factor is the price difference & the impressive games catalogue. The PS3 maybe the more powerful, but the majority of games have stuttering issues & graphics on some games are worse than on the 360. The PS3 is alot newer, so the PS3 capabilities haven't been shown yet.

Alot of PS3 owners I have spoken to haven't been that impressed with the PS3 & they say that the six axis on the controller is just a marketing gimmick that doesn't work that well with all games.

Whichever console you choose, you will enjoy HD definition gaming (providing your TV is HD compatible).

For christmas in Australia (in NZ as well...I think), the XBOX 360 is being sold in an original XBOX casing with a reduced hard-drive capacity in order to be able to sell it at a much cheaper price.

This may give X360 the edge over PS3 this festive season (down here anyway).

I would reccomend the 360, much larger variety of games, some exclusive games, much cheaper, nice looks, affordable, as good, and some times better than ps3 graphics, and of course there's xbox live. I don't think you'll be dissapointed which ever console you chose.

I would recommend the 360. The main factor is the price difference & the impressive games catalogue. The PS3 maybe the more powerful, but the majority of games have stuttering issues & graphics on some games are worse than on the 360. The PS3 is alot newer, so the PS3 capabilities haven't been shown yet.

Alot of PS3 owners I have spoken to haven't been that impressed with the PS3 & they say that the six axis on the controller is just a marketing gimmick that doesn't work that well with all games.

Whichever console you choose, you will enjoy HD definition gaming (providing your TV is HD compatible. [/b]

I would recommend the Xbox 360 if you are doing it 'solely for Madden '08' as you say, as at the moment the Xbox 360 has the version with the best framerate this year. Although next years versions should be the same.

I own a PS3, and it appears many posts like Master Pain's are misleading and somewhat offensive and generalising against PS3. My console is fantastic and I've had no problems.

I own games such as Motorstorm, Resistance: Fall Of Man, Fifa '08, Tiger Woods '08 and others. I strongly object to the crap above that the MAJORITYof games have stuttering and graphics issues. I have found nothing of the sort on the games I've played. I am a member of PS3 Forums also (hundreds of thousands of members), and can say that 99% (if not all) the PS3 owners there would say the same.

To also say in the same breath that the majority of games are worse than on the Xbox 360 is also rubbish.

"Alot of PS3 owners I have spoken to haven't been that impressed with the PS3 & they say that the six axis on the controller is just a marketing gimmick that doesn't work that well with all games."

To this I say that you obviously got hugely lucky on that survey. The sixaxis function has been gradually evolving as a new technology and has not been received to well as yet. It is improving and is optional in all bar one game. Some games work exceptionally well with it though. Rachet & Clank has small cut-scenes involving it for example. Works brilliant.

As for the price, well now you can get a 40gb model at a much better price, which doesn't have PS2 backwards compatibility. That is a major disappointment to some, but as many also say, if you still own a PS2 then there's no problem. Also, think about how many people actually play their PS1 games now, the same will happen to PS2 over the next 2-3 years. So, the 40gb model is a great value, considering it has built in Wi-Fi and Blu Ray Player.

If I were to try and point out flaws in the PS3 I would stick to the facts, for example it doesn't have custom soundtracks available in it's games, or the ability to answer messages from online buddies in-game, YET. These features are being worked on by Sony for a future firmware upgrade and may be out soon.

I am very happy with my PS3 and it so impressed my PC only mate who boards with us that he bought the 40gb model and we both game online quite a bit now.

Oh, by the way, online gaming is free of charge on PS3, and you'll be paying regularly for that on Xbox 360.

If you buy a Xbox 360, buy a new one, there are plenty of second hand ones out there they may be susceptible to a major hardware flaw called the Red Ring Of Death which was destroying 360 consoles all over the place. Do a wikipedia search on that for more info. It doesn't appear to be a problem now with the latest models.

It's not clear-cut choice. Have a think and make up your mind. As I said at the start maybe Xbox 360 is for you, there is a large catalogue of great games. Although don't write the PS3 off.

Thats already the biggest hobby of many of the 360 users here at The Rugby Forum.

The solution to the Red Ring of Death is to not play the console for huge hours on end. I have only one friend who has got it, the console was an old console which it got the RROD after he did a solid 8 hour game session, as long as you play the console reasonably (have a 15 minute break every few hours if need be) then it won't be a problem...if anything the RROD is good as it will get the gamers to live life and not spend half the day playing games :D

I disagree

Sure it states in the manual don’t play hours on end, but thats for health implications not reliability

FFS it has a screen saver option on the dashboard, for when u fall asleep in front of the machine or downloading content that takes hours on end, so you don’t burn your colours on the LCD.

Its an overheating issue which is linked to long play

Fix overheating, which they have done with new models, thus admitting a flaw in original design.

Heck if PC’s can stay on for hours n hours, and same with my TV, VCR, DVD, PS2, Samsung MP3 until battery conks â€" than so should my $750.00 item!!!

Anything over $500.00 electrical applicance should be TESTED thru stringent LONG HOURS

All the recalls of power chords and things and batteries from laptops etc, are all about NOT going thru sufficient TESTING before being sold in retail.

I would go with whichever one has the games you like on it and the one most of your friends play on.

I agree with esoj. I'm in love with my Xbox 360... And the games. A lot of my games are multi-platform though..

Anyway, the Xbox 360 controller is fantastic. The best controller ever made imo. The PS3 one just feels too light and cheap for my liking. Probably due to no rumble. Although it's there now isn't it?

The 360 is class. I was determined I was going to get a PS3 but I then played on a 360 and realised that it was time to get one. At the moment there's no reason to buy a PS3 as it currently does nothing the 360 can't. However, as time goes by and developers get to grips with the (allegedly) tough to handle technology, the PS3 is sure to come good.

The PS3 looks great it has to be said, as does the 360. At the moment the 360 is totally dominant (imo) and there's more big stuff on the horizon for it as well. Long term I'm not ruling the PS3 out but it's 18 months behind the 360 and you can tell.

bump

have heard in nz that the warehouse are selling xbo360 arcade bundle for $400! . seems like a bit of a bargin to me. package contains the console (of course :D ) wireless controller, 5 arcade games 256mb memory card.

could be a good way to get into the next-gen console gaming for some people. I am pretty sure you can add a hard drive later which you can pick up for $100 or less from what I have heard.

Get the 360 mate, better games library, better online capability, better graphics though not by much, better control, cheaper etc.

However, as time goes by and developers get to grips with the (allegedly) tough to handle technology, the PS3 is sure to come good.
[/b]
By the time they sort that out the next generation of XBOX will be out methinks, with greater power then PS3...

I doubt we'll see anothewr Xbox for at least 3-4 years.

Aside from a few AAA ***les developed in house by Sony, I doubt we'll see many more games which improve on the current visual standard - Every game these days has to be multi format to sell enough copies, therefore must work on the slowest current-gen platform - That currently being 360 (well, technically it's the Wii, but that thing is only a f***ing gimmick that'll be dead on its arse within a couple of years).

As was shown during the Snes v Mega Drive, Saturn v PS1, Dreamcast v PS1, Xbox v PS2 and now PS3 v 360, the faster of the machines will never live up to its full potential as developers will tone the games down allowing the slower machines to cope. That's why the Dreamcast, Saturn and Snes all fell on their arse, as they cost more then the competition yet didn't deliver any more (despite being fully capable of).

That's proberbly also why the PS3 will fall on it's arse in the long run, word has it Sony are already losing silly amounts of money with every machine they sell and not backing it up with revinue from the sale of games.

thats a very good analysis TEH MITE.

i completely agree.....its always the inhouse developed games that shine.

Gran Turismo on PS3 looks a billion times better than anything else i have seen, yet the multiplat games are below GT par.

now that these things cost over AUD$500.........i cant justify getting both unless i have a good exclusive selection on both....and GT is not enough

Rugby next gen however....is all i want

But now that these machines a all about media capabilities.........perhaps its these capability differences that will get the sales - ie Blu ray v HDDVD, just 1 example ,but there is more to come on both fronts of the multimeda world

I'm gonna go ahead and try to hijack this thread:

I'm thinking of buying an Xbox360 and I'm wondering if I just want to play and save games (I have no real interest in storing music or that kind of stuff off Live) do I really need a 20GB hard drive or would I get away with having the arcade version?

Latest posts