• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

XBOX 360 vs PS3

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Dec 15 2008, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think i'm the only guy on this forum who bypasses consoles altogether. PC Gaming FTW! B)

Oh, but if i had to choose, i reckon i would get a PS3. I think it's more "future-proof" than Xbox. Let the flaming begin![/b]

you aren't the only one. I have a pc for gaming and the wii is my only console which hasn't been getting much use lately since nintendo hasn't offered anything I want or anyone that is sane and above the age of 12. with the recent 360 price cuts in my part of the world I would find it hard paying the extra 250-300 for the ps3. also in my circle of friends there is a lot more with the 360 than ps3 which would be another factor for me since I like to play online a lot. however if the ps3 got a bit of a price cut it would be all on again and I would maybe even lean to the ps3 then with blu-ray, free online gaming and region free gaming too.

While the Xbox is about, the PS3 will never get 3rd party games that can push the machine to its full potential. It's the same downfall that besit the Saturn and the Dreamcast - The PS1 was such an underpowered heap of *expletivedeleated* that games had to be very basic for it to handle them. This in turn meant the same game on it's more powerful counterpart were never up to the standard that the machine set and everything was heald back by the weakest machine, not driven forwards by the strongest.

agreed as this gen so far the 3rd party developers are not going to spend awhole lot of extra money and time to make the PS3 look better. Basically PS3 did develope the more powerful console but forgot about the game DEVs in programing for it.

In another 2-3 years time all developers will be trying to out do eack other and pushing the levels up and that is when Xbox might struggle as they will require more discs and storage space.

Yeah that's me. I've banned myself from Live until then - I will accept your invite and we can play a few games.

I'm warning you now. I'm hopeless. I only got the game on Tuesday, and suffered a few 5-0 defeats early on. Recent games have only been 2-0. woooo!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 15 2008, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
While the Xbox is about, the PS3 will never get 3rd party games that can push the machine to its full potential. It's the same downfall that besit the Saturn and the Dreamcast - The PS1 was such an underpowered heap of *expletivedeleated* that games had to be very basic for it to handle them. This in turn meant the same game on it's more powerful counterpart were never up to the standard that the machine set and everything was heald back by the weakest machine, not driven forwards by the strongest.[/b]

But in this case, it works both ways. As a PC gamer, there are a lot of aspects to deal with when relating to games. The entire globe thinks that PC gaming is dying, whilst developers are being nailed by piracy. Then, we usually get promise of a great game, only to discover that it was a horrific port, or a game "ahead of it's time" that works on 2% of PC's - ala GTA IV.

Then there are millions of other things to worry about, such as will it run, drivers, errors, Windows live, Securom/

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 15 2008, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
While the Xbox is about, the PS3 will never get 3rd party games that can push the machine to its full potential. It's the same downfall that besit the Saturn and the Dreamcast - The PS1 was such an underpowered heap of *expletivedeleated* that games had to be very basic for it to handle them. This in turn meant the same game on it's more powerful counterpart were never up to the standard that the machine set and everything was heald back by the weakest machine, not driven forwards by the strongest.[/b]

But in this case, it works both ways. As a PC gamer, there are a lot of aspects to deal with when relating to games. The entire globe thinks that PC gaming is dying, whilst developers are being nailed by piracy. Then, we usually get promise of a great game, only to discover that it was a horrific port, or a game "ahead of it's time" that works on 2% of PC's - ala GTA IV.

Then there are millions of other things to worry about, such as will it run, drivers, errors, Windows live, Securom/Starforce protection etc etc.

The last console i bought, was a PS2, and i absolutely loved it. I was a console gamer at heart, and all the BEST games kept coming my way. Sadly, the next-gen machines came, and i had a tough choice to make. Seeing as i was going to varsity, i thought i would benefit more from a PC. So i got one. Now, i have a pretty high end system at the moment, and can play anything at it's highest possible settings. This made me wonder about consoles, and how they are coping with the current batch of games that are pushing the technology boundaries to the limit. I think it's fair to say that today's games are pushing the Xbox to the limit, which makes me wonder if it will actually change in the near future. I have plaid some Xbox ***les that have worse performance/frame-rate issues than anything i have seen on my PC.

With a PC, every game, every year gets better and better, and looks better and better, but if the Xbox is already in it's prime this young in it's life, i think the PS3 is going to start coming into it's own. I mean, the PS3 is still a baby in terms of the potential it has, wheras the Xbox is struggling to get certain PS3 ***les, due to reasons such as "will it cope?" blu ray etc. (MGS 4 is a good example) I'm actually very eager to see hoe Final Fantasy XIII is going to cope on the Xbox...

Then again, the Xbox has a lot going for it too. It has a better controller (the sixaxis is crap). It's better looking. A MUCH bigger variety in terms of games, and above all, it's a hell of a lot cheaper. But yeah, aas far as future-proofing goes, i think the Xbox is in a bit of trouble.

With regards to PC gaming, for me, everything is better on a PC. I have an Xbox Controller for my machine, so in essance, it's a glorified Xbox. I don't think PC gaming will ever die, it just might get a little more tedious as time goes on (with bashers, copy protection, piracy etc etc). With regards to technology and PC gaming, it's a catch 22. Yes, EVERYTHING looks a million times better on a PC than it does on a console, but to get it to look like that means selling your body for the enourmous wads of cash you pay for excellence.

Hell, as long as there is something to play on, i'm happy. If we could, we would all have every console/PC out there. But we cant. There will always be pro's and cons with any gaming system, so at the end of the day, it's just a crap decision to make. But that's just my opinion. ;)

Sorry about the above post, i'm on a MAC, and it spazzed out. <_<

PC beats both. I especially like the program steam as it is way cheaper than shops and it has a messenger system and other great stuff. If I was offered a free or extremely cheap PS3 or Xbox360 I would go for the Xbox360.

I first bought a Xbox 360 after being very much a playstation fan and had no problems with the ps one or 2.

I had nothing but problems with the 360 and had it fixed many times only to break down and if it did not break down it would keep crashing so i was playing the likes of Forza 2 which was a great game hoping it would not crash on me, not exactly enjoyment. so i traded the thing in and got a PS3 which i have not had one single problem with since i got it so i am not really a sony fan boy as i am willing to try out new things it was just a case of being put off by the 360 due to all its breakdowns.

Xbox live is superb no doubt about it but the Playstation network is half decent too.

I have ps3 downstairs and upstairs a gamecube, also have PC for of course coming on here and playing speedway game and manager games.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tommowins @ Dec 17 2008, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
PC beats both. I especially like the program steam as it is way cheaper than shops and it has a messenger system and other great stuff. If I was offered a free or extremely cheap PS3 or Xbox360 I would go for the Xbox360.[/b]

I love steam too bought almost all my pc games over the last 3 years or so off steam. the economic crisis though caused the nz dollar to plummet against the US so the prices for me on steam all went up so much that it is now close to the same as retail. I paid $85nz on steam for left4dead on release and $55nz for the orange box when it released just over a year ago, both games at the time of purchase were $50 US(-10% discount for pre-ordering applies to both games) on steam. what a difference a year can make.

I have to say I like both machiines...if anything I like the 360 more.  The only reason I got a PS3 was because I am thinking the future as in the 2010-11 years.

I like both aswell. At the moment I favour PS3 due to region free gaming. I recently got NCAA 09 and MLB the show and they are great. I dont even like baseball and I love MLB!

We've bought our lad a PS3 for Christmas and I'm thinking of getting myself a 360 for my birthday in July.

i had a 360, it got the ring of death, got it fixed then sold it to my mate. i had no real qualms with it but definately want to get a ps3.

anybody see that article on microsoft being sued over the 360 disc trays? makes me glad i sold my 360!

PS3 is region free, blu ray ready etc. and i hear you can play .avi files off it.. sounds a dream!

OK 3 days ago my mate brought his 360 over because he has two controllers while I have only one on my ps3...this is so we could play Fifa against each other.

When the two machines were next to each other the xbox seemed like a toy next to the ps3...it was the first time I had seen the 360 close up for a while and I was quite disappointed. It lacks a lot of things the ps3 has.

The ps3 has accessories that are pc based...the 360 looks like it needs specifically 360 accessories. Then you chuck in blu ray technology, streamed movies music pics from your laptop, free online gaming etc, linking up with a PSP, familiar PSP type interface which is easy to use, two ports for a keyboard and mouse for internet browsing, wireless controller that gets charged straight from the ps3, upscaling of normal DVDs to 1080 full HD resolution. It really is a much better machine side by side with the 360. Also as 187 said the ps3 does not have a disc tray that come out...it prefers the safer disc method of a car CD player where the disc goes in. So a very sturdy machine built to last.

Playstation Home is only in its beta stage and will eventually overtake Xboxs Second Life because it is free.

The only thing that I think that for me the 360 beats the ps3 on are certain games that I like are xbox exclusives...these are Gears of War and Dead or Alive series......hmmmm...actually now that I think of it...wasn't DOA on ps2 once upon a time? Maybe I am wrong about the DOA series. Anyway those are the two games that make me wish I had a 360. Halo series is a dud after the COD franchise. If the next DOA game becomes multi plat then I would probably not look at the 360 ever again. Even the great Gears of War is being challenged by MGS4 and Splinter Cell.

The 360 at the moment definitely is the more popular machine and much cheaper. However it is not the better machine. For people like me who (when I do buy consoles) go for the best console on the market I would say buy the PS3 end of story.

Oh I forgot I was flabbergasted by that hideously huge power adapter that the 360 uses...I mean...seriously what is that?!?!?!?!?!?

I have heard here in NZ that for the 360 to get a wireless adapter it would cost around $150. I forgot to mention that WIRELESS was one of the main reason I bought my ps3 a year ago....I hate cords all around the TV going all the way to the modem etc. Wireless ps3 connects to a wireless modem to go on the free network. Very simple and very enjoyable with a lot of hassle taken out of it. For dummies like me connecting to online gaming is easy. As a result I have taken my ps3 to 6 other houses and 3 of them had wireless modems and let them play games online. My friends thought they were buzzing when they were playing games...then when I said "go online" they were in heaven lol!

Latest posts