• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

XBOX 360 vs PS3

I have both and they have their good and bad points. For me personally the PS3 is now in the front as the features it has and the games coming out in 09 are games that I want to buy.

One of the main issues for me on the Xbox360 is it red ringed(e74 fault) on me 10 months into its life what a joke!!! I then read up on the internet everwhere that this is a very very common problem. The reliability of this machine is beyond belief!! I bought it thinking that all the stories could not be true surely? Only to find out later that everyone I knew that bought an Xbox have had mulitple issues at least 3 times with it.

One thing that did suprise me was that people kept buying new ones once the warranty expired. Then it dawned on me 2 of the most glaringly ovious isses that microsoft got spot on, was the live and price point.

When you have had a box for a couple of years you build up a friends list and your loyalty is not to the product anymore but the online friends you have made. This is oviously stronger than any product loyalty as you know if they only own one console you will not be able to join up online with them again. Lets face it online play has changed the console market for good as it is now the most important feature on any game as it is much better than playing against any computer AI any day.

The now cheap price point and the amazing marketing Xbox has been putting out has put them into a very strong position. The one point that really amazes me about Sony is their lack of marketing on the big ***les in 08. I did not see one MGS4 trailer or R2 but tons of Gears and multi plat ***les advertised by Xbox.

Imagine a game like Pacific Rift advertised on TV it would have looked great but nope Sony thinks its PS3 will still sell on the strength of the PS2 and other products, when will they realise that there are 2 other strong players in the market now.

One more thing that Xbox got spot on is the headset in the box as every single person has a chat feature which is sadly not the case on PS3. I have been playing MGS4 online demo and to say for a demo it is amazing is an understament. It is such a good demo it is crazy!! The problem is the lack of voice chat as people have not forked out for a mic yet. This will change soon as alot of games are coming out with the Sony wireless headset included which sh*ts on the Xbox one I am afraid.

As soon as Socom comes out at the end of this month I will be getting it with the Mic included. The problem is Killzone 2 will be coming in Feb and I dont have the time to play 2 games plus Fifa 09. Xbox line up for this year so far has been very weak so far and the only games I will be buying are all Sony exclusives: Socom 3 navy seals, Killzone 2, Unchartered 2, God of War 3.

I have never bought more than 2 games in one year but this year will be different. It is not that I think Sony games are way better it is just that for me personally they are the games I want for 09.

Not a racing fan so will not be buying GT5 or LBP as that game would not appeal to me at all. A bit like Viva Pinata for the xbox I got it in a bundle I bought and only put it in the tray once and then it became my new coffee coaster :D

On the looks issue I was suprised when I pulled the PS3 out of the box as it is a large beast. Not much bigger than the xbox but definately bigger. The one thing I cannot get over with the Xbox is the large power adapter I mean what the hell is that in todays age? So looking back at the size of the PS3 it is not so bad as that ugly power unit is lurking in the case of the PS3.

My Missus however thinks the Xbox looks nicer even after pointing out the power unit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBokke @ Jan 7 2009, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Socom 3 navy seals, Killzone 2, Unchartered 2, God of War 3.[/b]
I didn;t care about next years lineup for ps3 but now I am seriously thinking about looking at socom and killzone to see if they may perhaps be better than COD. I didn't like killzones gameplay but perhaps the second instalment might change my mind.

The real looker will probably be God of War 3. I was surpised at how good the ps2 versions were so the next gen version will be somethng to look out for.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Jan 7 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (187 @ Jan 7 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and i hear you can play .avi files off it.. sounds a dream![/b]
Yes...you can play...er....ahem...various types of files on....er...it <_<
[/b][/quote]

hahaha :lol: thanks for that GG, now I know my family holiday video's can be played off it :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBokke @ Jan 7 2009, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
On the looks issue I was suprised when I pulled the PS3 out of the box as it is a large beast. Not much bigger than the xbox but definately bigger. The one thing I cannot get over with the Xbox is the large power adapter I mean what the hell is that in todays age? So looking back at the size of the PS3 it is not so bad as that ugly power unit is lurking in the case of the PS3.

My Missus however thinks the Xbox looks nicer even after pointing out the power unit.[/b]

yeah that bloody power adapter was crazy! whenever I took my 360 round to mate's places I almost had to take a seperate bag for it!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (187 @ Jan 8 2009, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
yeah that bloody power adapter was crazy! whenever I took my 360 round to mate's places I almost had to take a seperate bag for it![/b]

First time I saw the power cord for the 360 I said "What the hell is that?"...it really took me back a bit by its size. I felt like a girl about to lose her virginity.

I have both, bud sadly my ps3 is now grey thanks to dust

95% of dual platform games are better on x360 â€" I dunno why, but most reviews state this, and also my experiences with fifa, tiger woods, farcry2, codwaw â€" all better on x360 â€" framerate/visuals â€" online etc etc

more people chat on x360 as everyone just about has an earpiece, whereas ps3 has very minimal chatting, I find this very boring, and I might aswell be playing the cpu.

Obviously the ps3 hardware is a winner â€" but this doesn't mean much to me, blue-ray is way too expensive, its not even a proven format just yet, nobody is touching $40.00 movie discs retail yet â€" I play for games, and I lean towards online play a lot more these days, and so far the x360 wins in both these fields

You can get a brand new x360 here for $159.00 if your lucky - $259.00 at worst
$159.00 - get the arcade GEARS2 bundle for $259.00, and return GEARS2 later in the week provided the emo checkout fool has printed $99.99 for GEARS2 on the receipt. â€" This has been done I have heard. EDIT - with the new 120GB HDD out, you can pick up a 20GB for nothing, so u can get online, and basically turn your arcade machine into a pro console EDIT

Region free is massive â€" I only play my horse racing ***le on the ps3 â€" and will be getting the japenese versions of the other 3 or 4 horse racing ***les, which M$ have ZERO of…….NCAA ***les, and other local sports sims Aust/NZ never get is huge………That Africa ***le which is Jap only â€" is the most impressive graphical beast I have seen in a video â€" I cant believe it….Sony need to push more of these exclusives into the English speaking market.

God of War 3 is going to boost its rep
Gran Turismo would wanna be better than Forza 3, or that's an epic fail
Killzone is also on my watch list
Socom, and Unchartered IMO are hopeless â€" they don't do it for me.
Home is ok, but we need more headsets

My X360 has a Canberra Raiders skin â€" so its looks much better

They are both damn close in terms of pros n cons â€" what I don't understand is why one is twice as expensive â€" that's where I lose respect for sony….it should be a lot better, when you factor in what u pay for

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Jan 7 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
95% of dual platform games are better on x360 â€" I dunno why, but most reviews state this, and also my experiences with fifa, tiger woods, farcry2, codwaw â€" all better on x360 â€" framerate/visuals â€" online etc etc[/b]

The reason for this is the same as the PS1/Saturn or Xbox/PS2; The PS3 (like the Saturn & PS2 before) is a ***** to code for so a lot of the polish is ignored. The Saturn port of Wipeout is a good example; People didn't ***** about the missing lisenced music, but the lack of transparency effects on shields. Sonic R prooved the machine could do them, but the developers (in this case, Psygnosis) either ran out of time or couldn't be bothered because it was difficult to do.

Yeah Ak47 I too have heard that multi plat games are better on the 360. Though teh mites reasoning makes sense.

Everytime I hear Gears of War I get envious....

I am still a bit disappointed with the PS3 that on COD5 you cannot choose to play a game in your region only. If they fixed this up then the lag issues would not be there as I hate getting shot to pieces by someone hosting a game from somewhere out there faraway lol!

I didn't realise that the PS3 was region free...not that I buy overseas versions lol! I am not as rich as you ak47. What African ***le are you talking about here? Would be very interested in this "Graphical Beast". Damn living in NZ as we just get the mass production type games...maybe I need to look at ***les worldwide rather than sticking with whats in NZ stores. Especially since the Jap Market would be bound to have amazing games...even if they are speaking Japanese but who cares...DOA never spoke English!

I have to go with the PS3, simply because of MLB the show 08. This is the best looking and most addictive sports game I have ever played. Im living In Japan at the mo and its pretty tough to play Japanese games, and I can speak Japanese! EA sports ***les have english but other games, particularly story games are Japanese. Ive got a couple of cool samurai games that have only been released in Japan as of yet. They are fun but I often dont know what Im doing. I also have tenchu on wii which is great and has no english, but the story is b grade so you dont need it. Its good if you can get an english guide, for example I got way of the samurai 2 on ps2 and zelda on wii, theyre both completely in Japanese but english walkthroughs via the net allow me to follow along no problem at all.

MLB and NCAA are 2 games that should be sold worldwide, they are that good. Ive had to miss out them until I finally got a region free console. yay. :bravo:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Jan 7 2009, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBokke @ Jan 7 2009, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn;t care about next years lineup for ps3 but now I am seriously thinking about looking at socom and killzone to see if they may perhaps be better than COD. I didn't like killzones gameplay but perhaps the second instalment might change my mind.

The real looker will probably be God of War 3. I was surpised at how good the ps2 versions were so the next gen version will be somethng to look out for.
[/b][/quote]

Got to buy Socom bud!! I hear the game came out in the US about 4 months ago and had a lot of technical issues but by the time it releases in Europe at the end of this month it will be good. It was a massive hit on the PS2 and from what I have seen so far I love this kind of game.

I bought the first Gears of War and did not really enjoy it to be honest so like most games its about taste. I bit like AK47 reckons that Socom and unchartered dont work for him I however cannnot wait for them. I will be buying God Of War 3 but it is not one I am hanging out to play.

I would not mind some good Xbox games this year but it is time and the fact that none of the ***les so far have got me excited.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Dec 17 2008, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 15 2008, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While the Xbox is about, the PS3 will never get 3rd party games that can push the machine to its full potential. It's the same downfall that besit the Saturn and the Dreamcast - The PS1 was such an underpowered heap of *expletivedeleated* that games had to be very basic for it to handle them. This in turn meant the same game on it's more powerful counterpart were never up to the standard that the machine set and everything was heald back by the weakest machine, not driven forwards by the strongest.[/b]

But in this case, it works both ways. As a PC gamer, there are a lot of aspects to deal with when relating to games. The entire globe thinks that PC gaming is dying, whilst developers are being nailed by piracy. Then, we usually get promise of a great game, only to discover that it was a horrific port, or a game "ahead of it's time" that works on 2% of PC's - ala GTA IV.

Then there are millions of other things to worry about, such as will it run, drivers, errors, Windows live, Securom/Starforce protection etc etc.

The last console i bought, was a PS2, and i absolutely loved it. I was a console gamer at heart, and all the BEST games kept coming my way. Sadly, the next-gen machines came, and i had a tough choice to make. Seeing as i was going to varsity, i thought i would benefit more from a PC. So i got one. Now, i have a pretty high end system at the moment, and can play anything at it's highest possible settings. This made me wonder about consoles, and how they are coping with the current batch of games that are pushing the technology boundaries to the limit. I think it's fair to say that today's games are pushing the Xbox to the limit, which makes me wonder if it will actually change in the near future. I have plaid some Xbox ***les that have worse performance/frame-rate issues than anything i have seen on my PC.

With a PC, every game, every year gets better and better, and looks better and better, but if the Xbox is already in it's prime this young in it's life, i think the PS3 is going to start coming into it's own. I mean, the PS3 is still a baby in terms of the potential it has, wheras the Xbox is struggling to get certain PS3 ***les, due to reasons such as "will it cope?" blu ray etc. (MGS 4 is a good example) I'm actually very eager to see hoe Final Fantasy XIII is going to cope on the Xbox...

Then again, the Xbox has a lot going for it too. It has a better controller (the sixaxis is crap). It's better looking. A MUCH bigger variety in terms of games, and above all, it's a hell of a lot cheaper. But yeah, aas far as future-proofing goes, i think the Xbox is in a bit of trouble.

With regards to PC gaming, for me, everything is better on a PC. I have an Xbox Controller for my machine, so in essance, it's a glorified Xbox. I don't think PC gaming will ever die, it just might get a little more tedious as time goes on (with bashers, copy protection, piracy etc etc). With regards to technology and PC gaming, it's a catch 22. Yes, EVERYTHING looks a million times better on a PC than it does on a console, but to get it to look like that means selling your body for the enourmous wads of cash you pay for excellence.

Hell, as long as there is something to play on, i'm happy. If we could, we would all have every console/PC out there. But we cant. There will always be pro's and cons with any gaming system, so at the end of the day, it's just a crap decision to make. But that's just my opinion. ;)

Sorry about the above post, i'm on a MAC, and it spazzed out. <_<
[/b][/quote]

PC gaming, dying for the past 25 years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBokke @ Jan 8 2009, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Jan 7 2009, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Got to buy Socom bud!! I hear the game came out in the US about 4 months ago and had a lot of technical issues but by the time it releases in Europe at the end of this month it will be good. It was a massive hit on the PS2 and from what I have seen so far I love this kind of game.
[/b][/quote]

Ok I have to admit that in my xbox days I used to go over my bros place and get excited with the first Socom on PS2 and what you could do with the headset....yeah I had to admit it was quite cool talking in the headset....so I might actually buy this game.....this is because I love dialogue during team play...any type of team play. If they are giving out free headsets with Socom then for SURE it will becomoe a must buy as it will also be a headset buy. The Socom headset I am assuming will be better than the eye toy thingy??????

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maccaweeny @ Jan 8 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
PC gaming, dying for the past 25 years.[/b]

Yeah. It's on some sort of futuristic super-ventilator i think. Nobody wants to pull the plug i guess. Oh well, I aint complaining.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Jan 9 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBokke @ Jan 8 2009, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Jan 7 2009, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Ok I have to admit that in my xbox days I used to go over my bros place and get excited with the first Socom on PS2 and what you could do with the headset....yeah I had to admit it was quite cool talking in the headset....so I might actually buy this game.....this is because I love dialogue during team play...any type of team play. If they are giving out free headsets with Socom then for SURE it will becomoe a must buy as it will also be a headset buy. The Socom headset I am assuming will be better than the eye toy thingy??????
[/b][/quote]

Yup official Sony headset. I have read alot of reviews and it is supposed to be very good. http://www.n4g.com/tech/News-251411.aspx

It is a know fact that most multi-plats have been better on Xbox but things are slowly changing now and there is parity.

To be honest the PS3 maybe more powerful and but why would 3rd party developers go through the expense and time to make the PS3 look better. One big mistake that Sony made this Gen!! I think they were thinking more about 1st party development than 3rd party.

Big question is who is in charge of their market research for this product? Lets not forget their dismal advertising marketing team.

I just bought a 360, so therefore if you want to be cool like me, you'll buy one too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Jan 8 2009, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You can get a brand new x360 here for $159.00 if your lucky - $259.00 at worst
$159.00 - get the arcade GEARS2 bundle for $259.00, and return GEARS2 later in the week provided the emo checkout fool has printed $99.99 for GEARS2 on the receipt. â€" This has been done I have heard. EDIT - with the new 120GB HDD out, you can pick up a 20GB for nothing, so u can get online, and basically turn your arcade machine into a pro console EDIT[/b]

Bingo, I got a 20GB Console, 2 controllers, 6 games, a certain illegal enhancement which means I can play my beloved NCAA Football and a DVD Remote (plus two years left on my RROD warrenty) for 350 bucks NZ.

I was, probably still am a Sony fan boy but a man has to eat.

Latest posts