• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your Barbarians Team

D

dundeesmiffy

If club/sevens/injuries or any other concevable commitments weren't an issue, who would have been your dream Baabaas XXII to face South Africa.

1. G. Jenkins (WAL) 16. J. Flannery (IRE)
2. A. Oliver (NZL) 17. A. LeChichero(sp?) (IT)
3. A. Sheridan (ENG) 18. M. Owen (WAL)
4. S. Chabal (FRA) 19. R. Thorne (NZ)
5. C. Jack (NZ) 20. P. Gopperth (NZ)
6. I. Lobbe (ARG) 21. S. Mapasua (TNG)
7. G. Smith (AUS) 22. G. Murphy (IRE)
8. S. Taylor (SCO)
9. R?. Wigglesworth (ENG)
10. C. Spencer (NZ)
11. S. Lamont (SCO)
12. A. Farrell (ENG)
13. M. Nonu (NZ)
14. T. Nygwena(sp?) (USA)
15. J. Robinson (ENG) Captain

I think (though this is something closer to a dream team) would be an ideal Baabaas team;
Strong ball carriers, good lineout jumpers and broken play runners in the pack.
Mix of old and young in the backs, strong ball carriers.
Robbo as the captain because it was his last match (apart from his testimonial).
Admitedly it would be impractical seeing as he's a fullback and wouldn't be as close to the action, but I'd have him moved onto the wing later on in the game.

How could you possibly include Jenkins, Oliver, Taylor, Wigglesworth, Spencer, Lamont, Farrel, Nonu, Nyanga, Flannery, Owen, Thorne, Gopperth, and Murphy in what is effectively supposed to be the best 22 players in the world?

because they are my favourite players, because they are all good ball carriers and Wigglesworth because he is uncapped to the best of my knowlage, and i'm meerly following tradition.

How could you possibly include Jenkins, Oliver, Taylor, Wigglesworth, Spencer, Lamont, Farrel, Nonu, Nyanga, Flannery, Owen, Thorne, Gopperth, and Murphy in what is effectively supposed to be the best 22 players in the world? [/b]

best players in the world? where did you get that idea from?

How could you possibly include Jenkins, Oliver, Taylor, Wigglesworth, Spencer, Lamont, Farrel, Nonu, Nyanga, Flannery, Owen, Thorne, Gopperth, and Murphy in what is effectively supposed to be the best 22 players in the world? [/b]

It's the Barbarians you plumb, not the world all stars. The club philosophy is based on attack with flowing running rugby with lots of tries. The only qualifications considered when issuing an invitation to join the club are that the player's rugby is of a high enough standard and secondly that he should behave himself on and off the field. To become a Barbarian has nothing to do with being the best in the world.

Anyway, If I could get me a <strike>World All Stars</strike> BARBARIANS team together;

1. Heyman
2. Smit
3. Van Der Linde
4. Albacete
5. Matfield
6. Collins
7. JM Lobbe
8. Chabal
9. Du Preez
10. Spencer
11. Howlett
12. Allen
13. Mortlock
14. Ashton
15. Robinson

16. Ibanez
17.Sheridan
18. Shaw
19. Smith
20. Michelak
21. F Contipomi
22. R Lamont

Do they still have a policy of including an uncapped player? they used to, but not sure if its every time or not. If so i'd give Lamb a shot (or has he won a cap yet), either starting or from the bench.

Either way i'd like:

1. Sheridan

2. Smit

3. Castrogiovanni

4. Shaw

5. Matfield

6. Collins

7. Williams

8. Chabal

9. Rauluni

10. Lamb

11. Rockocoko

12. Steyn

13. Rabeni

14. Delasau

15. Robinson

If you were looking to play running rugby (as it has been pointed out the BaaBaas always do), then I'd be tempted to include Gloucester and Fiji flanker Akapusi Qera at 7. This guy has some serious wheels for a forward and scores some outstanding long range tries.

1) Carl Heymans
2) John Smit
3) Julian White
4) Fabien Pelous (Would be a good sign off for the world most capped forward :) ).
5) Victor Matfield
6) Jerry Collins
7) Thierry Dussatoir (Wonderful in the loose).
8) Sebastien Chabal
9) Dwayne Peel (Plays exciting rugby and a game not involving Wales will stop the media breathing down his neck if he had an average game).
10) Danny Cipriani (Best no. 10 in England at the moment, deserves a chance).
11) Shane Williams
12) Matt Giteau
13) Brian O'Driscoll
14) Sean Lamont
15) Jason Robinson (If he wasn't retired) / Rory Lamont

I still don't understand why people rate Sean Lamont. [/b]

Because when he gets the ball he is very dangerous, and is also one of the best counter attacking wingers around. It's hard to tell at Northampton because we never give him the ball. The one time we actually used him properly as an impact runner up the middle of the pitch, he scored 4 tries. Coincidence?

Even Sam Harding scored in that game, and what has he done in the subsiquent 2 years? Christ, given the ball I would have even scored in that game!

Every time I've seen Monty touch a ball either for Saints or any time for Scotland (bar the France game last year) since, he's been pathetic; Regularly pushed back in contact, often turned over after a tackle, missed tackles, misses simple passes to put his team-mate in... It's not a good rundown. One good game every 12 months doesn't warrent being called "one of the best counter attacking wingers around".

Somehow I think he's taken all the credit for Rorys work, who is a propper classy player.

i personally think sean lamont should be tried in at outside center, mayne not as a fixed position but maybe filing in that channel for some moves.
i always feel like scotland commit too many men to the ruck, or the wrong men. rob dewey and sean lamont are both big guys (dewey has experience at flanker, i know, i played against him at heriots, he's effing huge) but they also have pace, sure simon taylor and ally hogg have 'some' pace, but not what's needed in the backline.

sorry, ranting.

The team that beat the South Africans was one of the best I have ever seen. The backline was the best of best and the rugby played was open and exciting...abit like seeing a hot chick at a club and taking her home and finding out she is even better than what you thought when you first saw her at the club!

1/ A.Sheridan
2/ J.Smit
3/ O.Du Rahnt
4/ V.Matfield
5/ S.Borthwick
6/ S.Burger
7/ R.Mccaw (capt.)
8/ S.Chabal
9/ G.Greagan
10/ J.Wilkinson (kicker)
11/ J.Robinson
12/ M.Giteau