• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your best "worst movie"

SelimNiai

'Ark at ee mun!
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Bristol
To combat the sea of negativity thats all over the other thread like f-bombs in a Gangster film, here we can talk about the films that were/are slated by reviwers/film hipsters that actually you enjoyed and watch still.

I'll kick it off with Stealth. Planes, explosions, Jessica Biel in a bikini. The trifecta.

I have two recent ones...can't decide which I liked more:

John Carter - I thought this was a terrific flick. It wasn't a film for the instant-gratification crowd because the payoff was the ending - and it was one of the best endings I've ever seen in recent film history. Also, a lot of people just didn't understand that this was the 'original' sci fi outer space story, long before the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek. When people complained that the themes had 'already been done' they were right - they HAD been done, by THIS early 20th century story. The others just copied from it. It's almost like a time travel story in real life...Burroughs' John Carter (Barsoom Series, first story published in 1912) was first, filmmakers (and storytellers) went back in time and borrowed from it, and so when the John Carter movie finally hit the screen it was old news even though it was the original idea.

Also, this Barsoom series by E. R. Burroughs, with its elements of dream travel and heroic champions, is one of the inspirations for author Michael Moorcock and his most famous fantasy character, Elric of Melniboné. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric_of_Melniboné (And don't get me started on how my beloved Elric is the prototype for all modern fantasy storytelling and RPGs, though Moorcock seldom gets the credit for it.)

Battleship - My enjoyment of this film has nothing to do with the fact that it features the same actor who portrayed John Carter. I just really liked this movie, mostly for two things - the main character's character development, and the whole 'one ship against an army' thing. I literally 'squeed!' with joy when they rolled out the Mighty Mo!

I am a big fan of the Historical Navel Fiction genre (specifically Age of Sail writers such as C.S. Forester, Alexander Kent, Patrick O'Brian, and my friend, S. K. Keogh, who just published her third book...plug intended :) ). Because of how much I love of Age of Sail stories I find that I also quite enjoy other ship-based tales, including those based on the modern navy and even ship-based science fiction (Star Trek, for example...it's been said that Captain Kirk was even fashioned after C.S. Forester's Horatio Hornblower character). It's all about the isolation and making things work with little or no resources - Naval stories are sort of like MacGyver-at-Sea tales for me.

Both of these films also had very satisfying endings for me, making them enjoyable and uplifting...something I really need in my entertainment today seeing as how the world is so dark and depressing. Neither were well-received by critics, however, and that had an affect on both the box office and on public opinion - many people passing judgement on the movies without even seeing them.

das

A film I enjoyed that was panned by the critics back in the day was Major Dundee, cant think of any others off the top of my head.

I agree about John Carter. Like you say das, not many were familiar with the story being around long before other sci-fis. Also I wasn't expecting much out of it because it was associated with Disney. I was imagining a really cheesy film to make a quick buck.

Others I enjoyed were Leprechaun, Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, Curse of Chucky, Never Back Down, haha and Southland Tales (a real trip when high. i had no idea what was going on but it was fun). Can't think of anything else at the moment.

John Carter - I thought this was a terrific flick. It wasn't a film for the instant-gratification crowd because the payoff was the ending - and it was one of the best endings I've ever seen in recent film history. Also, a lot of people just didn't understand that this was the 'original' sci fi outer space story, long before the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek. When people complained that the themes had 'already been done' they were right - they HAD been done, by THIS early 20th century story. The others just copied from it. It's almost like a time travel story in real life...Burroughs' John Carter (Barsoom Series, first story published in 1912) was first, filmmakers (and storytellers) went back in time and borrowed from it, and so when the John Carter movie finally hit the screen it was old news even though it was the original idea.

Also, this Barsoom series by E. R. Burroughs, with its elements of dream travel and heroic champions, is one of the inspirations for author Michael Moorcock and his most famous fantasy character, Elric of Melniboné. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric_of_Melniboné (And don't get me started on how my beloved Elric is the prototype for all modern fantasy storytelling and RPGs, though Moorcock seldom gets the credit for it.)

Battleship - My enjoyment of this film has nothing to do with the fact that it features the same actor who portrayed John Carter. I just really liked this movie, mostly for two things - the main character's character development, and the whole 'one ship against an army' thing. I literally 'squeed!' with joy when they rolled out the Mighty Mo!

I am a big fan of the Historical Navel Fiction genre (specifically Age of Sail writers such as C.S. Forester, Alexander Kent, Patrick O'Brian, and my friend, S. K. Keogh, who just published her third book...plug intended :) ). Because of how much I love of Age of Sail stories I find that I also quite enjoy other ship-based tales, including those based on the modern navy and even ship-based science fiction (Star Trek, for example...it's been said that Captain Kirk was even fashioned after C.S. Forester's Horatio Hornblower character). It's all about the isolation and making things work with little or no resources - Naval stories are sort of like MacGyver-at-Sea tales for me.

Both of these films also had very satisfying endings for me, making them enjoyable and uplifting...something I really need in my entertainment today seeing as how the world is so dark and depressing. Neither were well-received by critics, however, and that had an affect on both the box office and on public opinion - many people passing judgement on the movies without even seeing them.

das

Yes on Battleship. Can't believe I missed that. Love that film.

the twisted logic, words in sentence inverted, a weird thread started in the Clubhouse.......I've been..Ewis-ed...oh God..

The Princess Bride.

Awful, brilliant movie.

[video=youtube_share;6JGp7Meg42U]http://youtu.be/6JGp7Meg42U[/video]

das

hmmmm. Something tells me you have a crush on Taylor Kitsch

well wait a second, the idea of this thread is this:
"talk about the films that are slated by film hipsters that actually you enjoyed and watch still".

Not to be confused with intentionally terrible movies, like Kung Pow (a personal favorite, may I add). That film isn't considered "bad" or presents bad ratings. For that, we'd have to make a thread entitled "your good, good bad movies".

For me, Commando. It's the stereotypical stereotype of all cheesy as hell 80's action movies, and it's got Arnold destroying an entire army by himself, looking to get his daughter back how much more stereotypical does it get well not much is the answer. Rated it a 10/10 on IMDb, complete bias. Love this film coz I watched it more than I breathed oxygen as a kid.
The Police Academy series. God awful in some sequels, the first couple are fine but still very naive, cheesy humored. Still though, they belong to my childhood and I loved them back then.
Van Wylder. Not bad, but not as hilarious as I thought it was as a teen. Last time I watched it, was disappointed but still enjoyed it. It'll just stay with me forever.
Howard the Duck. Silly, cheesy, just bad...what can I say though, it was in our house as a kid !
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey (and Excellent Adventures). Stupid. Just...fkng stupid. And I LOVE em.
Bruno the movie: not funny most of the time, as opposed to the previous 'Borat'. I still just adore watching Cohen's dead-serious expressions and mannerisms as a fabulous, gay Austrian. Too fkng funny.
Jaws II - one was Spielberg, a first, inspired by a novel, a 70's classic...but 2 had no excuses. It's the story of a shark that clearly exploded into fleshy chunks returning to life to hunt people with but a slight scar. Still loved the scene ideas and the tone of it, campy as ****.
Deuce Bigalow Male Gigolo. RoB Schneider this time (not RoY).

I enjoyed Blade Trinity, there I said it.

oh....oh I bet you did, you cunning little mischievous rodent.

Last edited:
Happy Gilmore
Airheads

Both utter rubbish but stangely funny...

yep. Good ones, good ones.

- You really think you can compete with me ? hah...I eat pieces of shiit like you for breakfast...
- You eat pieces of shiit for breakfast ???!!
- No !...that's not wh...*walks away irritated*

Twilight

It was the best romance film i have ever seen. I'ts the kind of film where you like, want to be Edward, but want to be in Bella. The ending makes me cry.

Dem feels

Van Wylder. Not bad, but not as hilarious as I thought it was as a teen. Last time I watched it, was disappointed but still enjoyed it. It'll just stay with me forever.

Haha! That's one I found really funny as a teen. I wonder if I'd find it funny now too. Would love me some of Van Wylder's special eclairs tho. Nom nom nom slurp.

Happy Gilmore
Airheads

Both utter rubbish but stangely funny...

Happy Gilmore. Great movie. I generally enjoy Adam Sandler's stuff. 'Click' was a really good movie. Sandler's typical humour but had moments that made me tear.

Come on man, Click was GOD AWFUL. It's entertaining the way a terrible but radio-friendly melody is catchy. Britney Spears, the Backstreet boys, ultra catchy but horrible material. Click had hot Kate Beckinsale, a fun popular concept, insane Christopher Walken in yet another one of those roles...but it's insanely predictable, unfunny and generally thick. Belongs on this thread if anything ! Your good old American disposable comedies. Watch n throw away. And me and my friends used to call his dad when he's old the turtle, coz the costumes and makeup were so dreadful and he looked like a fng turtle. And then Sandler turns into a turtle himself when he gets old...

Come on man, Click was GOD AWFUL. It's entertaining the way a terrible but radio-friendly melody is catchy. Britney Spears, the Backstreet boys, ultra catchy but horrible material. Click had hot Kate Beckinsale, a fun popular concept, insane Christopher Walken in yet another one of those roles...but it's insanely predictable, unfunny and generally thick. Belongs on this thread if anything ! Your good old American disposable comedies. Watch n throw away. And me and my friends used to call his dad when he's old the turtle, coz the costumes and makeup were so dreadful and he looked like a fng turtle. And then Sandler turns into a turtle himself when he gets old...

To each their own! What you say matches Sandler's previous stuff. The corny, short fused Sandler in a predictable plot. This one had unexpected substance to it. It might not be deep but the message and drama side of it all was still touching. It was a significant turn from his usual "thick" performances.

Twilight

It was the best romance film i have ever seen. I'ts the kind of film where you like, want to be Edward, but want to be in Bella. The ending makes me cry.

Dem feels

I hope you're trolling. If not

-1.2 Million manpoints

hmmmm. Something tells me you have a crush on Taylor Kitsch

Nah, no crush on Kitsch. Besides, I tend to crush on characters rather than actors. So if it was angsty Loki or 'anime-tendrils-across-the-eyes' Winter Soldier, THEN we'd be talking! ;)

Although...seeing John Carter in shackles was rather ***illating...

:)

das

Latest posts