• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your favourite rugby moments of 2011

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
Now that the year is wrapping up with only a couple of domestic games left before the end of the calender year what were your rugby highlights of the year? International or Domestic, even your own club team or another rugby story you have for us from 2011.

I'll get things started my three top moments were

1. Canada beating Tonga at the RWC, in a classic game that many ranked amongst the best of the whole RWC.

2. Attending Canada vs. the United States at BMO field in Toronto in August although an unbelievably hot day and stadium and a sloppy yet entertaining game, the crowd of around 10,650 showed me how much this game can grow here and it's been a while since I was able to attend a game with that level of players.

3. TRF's interviews with Ed Fairhurst and Chris Pennell, getting an oppourtunity to have some of my questions answered in a great way by two players I have followed with interest was awesome, both gave great responses as well.

Other moments worth noting for me....

Italy beating France at the Six nations....Every single one of Namibia's tries at the RWC(go back and look at them they are actually all amazing tries for some reason)...The Beardos...Stephen Donald getting redemption...Shane Williams last international try.

Last edited:
Italy beating France was great, think I was happier at that result that I was at any England win this year

Thon Frenchman's between the legs pass to set-up a try against Scotland was a great one, think it was Dusatoir (can't spell French names to save my life), but yeah.

Don't know what else, maybe going to Twickenham for the Crusaders vs. Sharks game?

For me it was a moment in this year's Heineken Cup final. Second half, Leinster have pulled the score back to 20-22 and there's a scrum in Northampton's half around the 10 metre line. The Saints absolutely pummeled Leinster's scrum in the first half yet with the opportunity to take the lead, the Leinster pack drive Nothampton back and win a penalty. Sexton kicks it and puts Leinster in front for the first time.

23rd October 2011. 10:44PM NZT. The sound of the Referees whistle.

Thon Frenchman's between the legs pass to set-up a try against Scotland was a great one, think it was Dusatoir (can't spell French names to save my life), but yeah.
I think it was Trinh-Duc to Dusautoir - was a great pass

3. My teams first ever away win in the SP State Championship
2. Seeing Chris Wyles in Nelson the day after USA vs Italy
1. being at the stadium for Argentina vs Scotland

I forgot to specify this moment in my favourite moments....

Last edited by a moderator:
1) The Chiefs beating the Sharks on March 18. Ezequiel was telling me how they would thrash my team. Sweet revenge ( sorry mate)
2) Italy beating France during the 6 Nations.
3) Chiefs beating the Stormers with a massive come back during the second half.
4) Italy - Russia during the RWC. I was on holiday that week and 50% of the hotel was booked for a Russian group. Lots of Vodka and cheering for both teams. Unbelievable, altho I hardly speak Russian, i had soo much fun.

Ireland vs England in the 6n
Ireland vs Australia
Leinster vs Tolouse
and the best match Leinster vs Northampton.

Favourite moment of a mtch either Ferris' hug for genia or Healy's run against Tolouse. Closely tailed by Aston's wonderful disallowed try against France swan dive and all.:D

For me it was a moment in this year's Heineken Cup final. Second half, Leinster have pulled the score back to 20-22 and there's a scrum in Northampton's half around the 10 metre line. The Saints absolutely pummeled Leinster's scrum in the first half yet with the opportunity to take the lead, the Leinster pack drive Nothampton back and win a penalty. Sexton kicks it and puts Leinster in front for the first time.

Exactly what I was going to say!! You see Reddan run from the scrum and slap Heaslip's back signalling him to pass off the base, but Heaslip senses a big scrum and backs his pack. It was pure brilliance.

I loved the moment where following BOD's record breaking try v England the crowd belt out the Fields of Athenry only to be silenced by Sexton lining up for the conversion that is successful.

This may come as a surprise but for me the Warburton red card (not the tackle) was a good moment as when it happened I shouted at the TV "that's a red" and I thought it was great to see a referee finally have the balls to make sure the player took responsibility for his actions (nothing against Warburton btw)

Last edited:
This one was pretty good

The win against the Ospreys a couple of days ago was great too. Not the best game of rugby but loved beating them:D.

From a Wales perspective Shane last try was spectacular, it was good to see it in person. But better were Warburton's try against Fiji as it meant we were in the knock-out stages and we had sweet revenge. Jonathan Davies' try against Ireland meant we had all but secured a semi final place, all the better because we thought he had fluffed a brilliant chance when he didn't pass but we got a nice surprise:p.

Besides Wales, I really enjoyed Italy beating France, not just for Italy winning but because it was a great game. Never got a chance to see Tonga beating France but it was brilliant hearing it:p.

Edit: Completely forgot Samoa beating Australia:lol:, that was good too.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Saracens winning the prem.
2) Waking up early on my mate's sofa horribly hungover and watching the shite England vs Argentina game, before heading off to Barnes, hangover cleared, and watching Richmond play some great rugby and wallop our local rivals (and our traitorous ex head coach) Barnes.
3) Playing a match in practically a water meadow in Edinburgh this autumn and sliding for about 5m to score in the corner, Mils Muliaina style.
4) Being surrounded by 000s of one-eyed lippy Quins fans on Tuesday and watching Saracens smash their 100% record.
5) Seeing the Crusaders backline get going at Twickenham

1. Italy vs France, my heart was in my mouth for the entire second half
2. Crusaders at Twickenham, such a great game, even if 6 of the tries were scored at the opposite end of the pitch.... <_<
3. Last season for my school side- Not undefeated but I'm proud of 8/11

Latest posts