• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your worries...

L

locksley

Hello fellas

Ok, I've just got back from work, decided to have a quick look around this forum and I noticed that a lot of you are worried about certain things with Rugby 2005!

Firstly, the wmv's that I made are nowhere near as good as the game running normally! I think the wmv skips frames, and makes it look "Choppy" or "Jerky"! Not only that, as I was creating the files, I was talking to around 6 people on MSN. Everytime this happened, the movie skipped! So don't worry too much! The game is much, much smoother and slicker than the wmv files! In fact, those files are not very good quality at all, and I stated this in the start of the movie thread!

Another major factor for you is the lack of support when you have the ball! Yes, I was frustrated by this at first, but when I played it a bit more today, I realised that you have to play the game like real Rugby Union! You can't just pick up the ball and sprint full belt, cos you leave the backline behind! Also, in those vids, I never chose any set play at the pick up from the ruck! This meant that the players were all over the place and not in any sort of set order! It really pays to think ahead and plan your set plays from the rucks!

I have a few more movies to put online for you, but, until I can find a VCR that can give me a good .wmv file, I won't be putting anymore low quality files up!

Anyway, if admin could sticky this thread, you could ask questions in this thread and I'll do my best to answer them! It'll be better than searching every thread in the forum looking for questions to answer! If I could also ask, could you please limit the questions to 3 per post? That way, most of your questions will be answered and we'll all be happy!

Hope this has been helpful!

Locksley

Hello long time oberver first time messaging... honestly this is one of the the best forum for rugby addicts like me.

Question: What kind of tricks are there in Rugby 2005?.. also one of the articles that i've read that there were fights included, so if its not much to ask, could you please send a footage of the fights please..Thanks

Anyhoo, keep up the good work locks!!

Locks, again, cheers for everything.

1. Rucks (and Mauls): How do they feel/work (is there more to it than adding players with the x button) and how do you feel about them?

2. Set Plays: How much does the computer take over when initiating them? When do you take control again?

3. Kicking for touch and into space: Couldn't really see the shadow of the ball in flight, so how accurate does kicking feel in this game? Any '04 bounces of the ball?

I'll try help out a bit

- Fight's are in, purely cut scenese i think...
- Tricks?, umm how do you mean? like step, fend, dummy, barge?

Well tricks for One on One

e.g. - Sidestep
- One of the trick that is used in World Championship Rugby
- Joe Rockoko (How he lifts his leg up, trying to out maneovure the opponent)

::: Sorry for bad spelling.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Jan 28 2005, 11:54 AM
Locks, again, cheers for everything.

1. Rucks (and Mauls): How do they feel/work (is there more to it than adding players with the x button) and how do you feel about them?

2. Set Plays: How much does the computer take over when initiating them? When do you take control again?

3. Kicking for touch and into space: Couldn't really see the shadow of the ball in flight, so how accurate does kicking feel in this game? Any '04 bounces of the ball?

I think they work great! Tap X to put men in, get there quicker, you win! Nice and simple! I think they're a very good part of the game without bogging it down!

You just tap up, down, left, right on the D-pad when you've won the ruck! The backline then gets into position for the play you've chosen! When you pass the ball, it's all you controlling it! You've just got to time the passes right and watch the right runners! It's good!

Kicking is vastly improved to both 2001 and the dismal 2004! It's more on a line with lomu. Very workable! A lot better all round!

3 questions, eh...?

- can you off load?
- any evidence fo sin-bins?
- what's your favourite colour? (i feel we're getting too caught up in locksley the info-giver, not locksley the man.

Hey Locks

3 questions

Commentary - any good...cant really hear it in the demo, if at all

Rumours on passing ****les - are they true or what

Penalties - Does the ref do a sound job, are there yellows and reds

Originally posted by ak47@Jan 28 2005, 01:09 PM
Hey Locks

3 questions

No commentary in the demo man
<

Originally posted by viperun@Jan 28 2005, 11:42 AM
Hello long time oberver first time messaging... honestly this is one of the the best forum for rugby addicts like me.

Question: What kind of tricks are there in Rugby 2005?.. also one of the articles that i've read that there were fights included, so if its not much to ask, could you please send a footage of the fights please..Thanks

Anyhoo, keep up the good work locks!!
Tricks????? There are Fends, sidesteps, shoulder charges! I don't think the Right Analog big hits were fully implemented for this demo tho.

No fights ever happened in the demo! However, when England scored a try, It shown you a cut scene of the Aussie blokes pointing and moaning!
<

Originally posted by robbinho@Jan 28 2005, 12:08 PM
3 questions, eh...?

- can you off load?
- what's your favourite colour? (i feel we're getting too caught up in locksley the info-giver, not locksley the man.
good point rob...

1) locks the man; do you like ponies?

2) locks the info-giver; forward passes, do any of your supporting players ever get up far enough for this to actually happen? (they always seem very staggered and deep in comparison to the ball handler's position even when you are running at normal pace)

3) locks the R2005 player; why did you not score that try against England (37mb video), kicking while under the posts - what were ye thinkin?

... there has been a bit of a negative vibe around this evening probably due to over-analysis of the video footage without any actual hands-on experience, if you can't alleviate their fears now - folk will just have to wait on the demo themselves

... like the sound of having to play like "real rugby union" ... if there is a lack of width in a current situation on field, you're not going to pass the ball out to thin air... same applies to the R2005 game then, if there's no width to play out to its time to start making the hard yards until the backs sort themselves out and go wide... patience is a virtue and a blessing in rugby union, keep possession until the time is right, we can't expect to make match-winning blistering wing runs every time we want to! if its arcade you want WCR is still going strong

rarrrrrrr!!!

Originally posted by robbinho@Jan 28 2005, 12:08 PM
3 questions, eh...?

- can you off load?
- can you off load?

Yes! Very realistic! Can only offload in the right situation, not like Rugby 04 when you could offload with your stomach while being tackled by 6 blokes!

Not in the demo, no!

Ha ha. ROFL..... Red, if you really want to know!
<

Originally posted by ak47@Jan 28 2005, 12:09 PM
Hey Locks

3 questions

There is no commentary in the demo!

Sort of... you have to learn how to play the game properly, like real rugby, rather than just throwing the ball randomly and hoping for the best! If you choose a set play at the ruck, watch your backline get into position for it, you can't go wrong!

None in the demo! In fact, there's not much refereeing in the demo!!!

Originally posted by raziel_eire+Jan 28 2005, 12:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (raziel_eire @ Jan 28 2005, 12:30 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-robbinho
@Jan 28 2005, 12:08 PM
3 questions, eh...?

- can you off load?
- what's your favourite colour?  (i feel we're getting too caught up in locksley the info-giver, not locksley the man.
good point rob...

2) locks the info-giver; forward passes, do any of your supporting players ever get up far enough for this to actually happen? (they always seem very staggered and deep in comparison to the ball handler's position even when you are running at normal pace)

3) locks the R2005 player; why did you not score that try against England (37mb video), kicking while under the posts - what were ye thinkin?

... there has been a bit of a negative vibe around this evening probably due to over-analysis of the video footage without any actual hands-on experience, if you can't alleviate their fears now - folk will just have to wait on the demo themselves

... like the sound of having to play like "real rugby union" ... if there is a lack of width in a current situation on field, you're not going to pass the ball out to thin air... same applies to the R2005 game then, if there's no width to play out to its time to start making the hard yards until the backs sort themselves out and go wide... patience is a virtue and a blessing in rugby union, keep possession until the time is right, we can't expect to make match-winning blistering wing runs every time we want to! if its arcade you want WCR is still going strong

rarrrrrrr!!! [/b]

They're all right.... but I prefer a fully grown horse, you know, like Epona in the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time!!!
<

Can't say that I noticed a forward pass at all while playing it.... in fact, I'm sure I didn't!!! They will be in the full game though!

<
Erm.... I actually thought I was playing NRL and pushed SQUARE instead of X to dive! Instead, and embarrassingly caught on video, I put a bomb up... Good job you couldn't hear what words I used when that happened!!!!
<

Originally posted by viperun@Jan 28 2005, 12:33 PM
How good is the replay when scored a try or commiting a foul?
How good is the replay when scored a try or commiting a foul?

Easily on a par with the replay angles from World Championship Rugby, if not better!!! Damn, I was enjoying playing so much, I forgot I should've left them on...

can the scrum half pick up the ball from the ruck (like in JLR) or must you just pass every time?

ok... here's 3 serious questions for ye

1) in the 37mb video at 40secs, I presume the advantage was given to England(and later penalty awarded) because one of your dudes was 10-15 yards offside. Now the question is... how frequent are penalties called, what infringements cause a penalty and what options do you have when a penalty is awarded to you?

2) in regards to mauls/scrums how much can they be wheeled in a different direction (if at all) and how far can you really get the push on to gain yardage?

3) and finally, having played the game further, based on the demo alone... can you give us a "fun" rating out of 10 for the first impression of R2005?

cheers for all the info dude... now all I gotta do is get some sort of copy of that demo...

Originally posted by funksoulbrother@Jan 28 2005, 12:51 PM
can the scrum half pick up the ball from the ruck (like in JLR) or must you just pass every time?

Yes, you can pick it up by pushing "X"

Originally posted by raziel_eire@Jan 28 2005, 12:52 PM
ok... here's 3 serious questions for ye

1) in the 37mb video at 40secs, I presume the advantage was given to England(and later penalty awarded) because one of your dudes was 10-15 yards offside. Now the question is... how frequent are penalties called, what infringements cause a penalty and what options do you have when a penalty is awarded to you?

2) in regards to mauls/scrums how much can they be wheeled in a different direction (if at all) and how far can you really get the push on to gain yardage?

3) and finally, having played the game further, based on the demo alone... can you give us a "fun" rating out of 10 for the first impression of R2005?

cheers for all the info dude... now all I gotta do is get some sort of copy of that demo...

You know what? I can't actually recall having a penalty given to me! So I can't let you know! It didn't happen today either! The AI got plenty of penalties, mostly for offside against me.

To be honest with you, I'm not really into that part of rugby union, so I just tried to get them over with ASAP! You can wheel them, but I just pushed and won the ball cos I wanted to play the open passing game! Sorry!

It's definately a grower! When I first played it, I thought it was about a "6". Then it went up to around an "8". Now however, I'd give it a huge double thumbs up and a scorching "9 out of 10".... don't forget, it was only the demo, so if that's a 9/10, what's the full game going to be?

Latest posts