• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your worst "great movie"

I don't mind the film, but it didn't do much for me. The kid and the angsty running away demanding to join the 'army' were cringe. The musical versions are outstanding. Have you seen the live stage version, i think it was at the 02 arena in something like 2010. I used to have it recorded when i had sky, really liked it.

I have both the New Generation and the original both on CD and the live DVD's and saw the newer on at the Cinema. They did a set of showings of the DVD before it was released if that makes sense

@dasNdanger did you ever watch soldier blue?

Yes...once. The Sand Creek Massacre is just one example of man's inhumanity to man (woman, and child) that has long disturbed me. I could only watch that film once (I was also a virginal teenager when I saw it, so the raping of women in this film also had a severe impact on my inability to watch it again).

das

Last edited:
Wes Anderson is going on rep alone ATMIMO. I hated the last few; Moonlight Kingdom and the last one about the hotel in the middle of nowhere- I just couldn't watch it all the way through. That said, I don't know if those movies are raved about outside my group of friends.

I've found new love for @TRF_SelimNiai, and while this is very, very new to me (;) ) I'll have to start this post by backing him up for it is a difficult one to put out in the open, I've found at my own expense countless times before understanding I ought to just keep my trap shut. But yes, the Godfather. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine film. But the fact, the FACT is it's a fairly basic story that takes place in an Italian-American mafia setting, so naturally: the values, the hits on people, tommy guns, and tense dialog scenes while impressionable images, while also showing the importance of social hierarchy and family...

That thing is regarded as the best movie of all ti...ARE - YOU - FUCCKING - RETARDED - INSIDE - YOUR - MOTHER - FUCCKING - CRANIUM ????????? How INSANELY unintelligent, what impossibly low IQ is required that you would just nod your head in acceptance of that statement ?! It's a fairly good movie, with averagely entertaining action and story...there is nothing profound or even close to it, no brilliant twists in the story structure, nothing particularly stands out in the acting, the choice of music, the camera angles or directing altogether, it doesn't have peculiar feel all great movies do it's just straight-forward cinema...

It's totally fine that you liked it - it's calling it a masterpiece I will never, ever accept. You can be the love of my life and we're lying in a dreamy field in utter happiness as we stare into each others' eyes passionately, if you say "the Godfather was a masterpiece" I *WILL* stick a bazooka out of my pocket and nuke you to smithereens !!!

For me also, the Dark Knight for recent productions. BIG TIME, just really not a good movie or great idea...Inception, no doubt (no I'm not anti-Nolan, Memento is near masterpiece if not exactly that). Complicated, rather than complex, good concept completely butchered by very mediocre intelligence level and execution. The Fog and Halloween, just jokes; and the Exorcist for horror. It was only a success because visually it was striking at the time, scared folks, and because it dealt with the theme of possession and had a little girl do and say crazy things. Those are the reasons; all of them..regardless of the actual movie's quality and screenplay.
The Star Wars franchise. Not bad my any means, not bad at all. Also, not *brilliant*.

Here, for people who want to get angry: some inspiration :D

Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 12.34.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 12.35.47 PM.png

Shawshank is the one I get most stick for. I don't hate it, just don't get the hype. Also think the poster is implausible (admittedly based mostly on having read a lot of POW books as a child).

Hated The Green Mile. Attempting to hammer a message in across three hours, without even a hint nuance and subtlety might exist.

Agree on Goodfellas, Ted (especially the bit about it being rejected Family Guy material), and Hurt Locker.

Thing is 'Ted' wasn't terrible per se. Funny concept, well developed, good ending...but it's the sole fact it was the horrible, horrible human being Seth McFarlane who was behind it that almost de facto made it suck. I only watched it because my parents got it (somehow ??...) and I was home and just, eh, wtf, play it. I loved Family Guy when it came out, I was in uni, it was a breath of fresh air like everything was around me at the time, but by season 4 I think like lots of people I realized "uhmm...hey I think FG kinda...sucks". We all started to realize just how rehashed FG was, how ephemeral the good quality really was, questioning whether it was ever good at all, and started seeing McFarlane for the profound imbecile and talentless, vain vibro-dildo he is. Ted is just another expression of all that, with another unjustly popular lead actor I have lots of trouble tolerating, mind you.
But if we're being fair, it wasn't AWFUL. It was *bad*. Sure. But not awful.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I like most westerns but this did nothing for me.

Inglorious Basterds - Absolutely dire in my opinion.

Lord of the Rings, the Fellowship of the Ring - Just seems boring.

I watched the film Shane as a kid and I thought it was a **** western, but as an adult I've seen it has great reviews and is considered a classic. So I might watch it again someday to see if the 5 year old critic was right or not.

Inglorious Basterds - Absolutely dire in my opinion.

Lord of the Rings, the Fellowship of the Ring - Just seems boring.

Don't understand with these two mate, but each to their own! Maybe you need to be in one of those 'moods' with these films.

Last edited:
I really hated Drive. I probably didn't give it enough attention but it lost me about 10 minutes in. I didn't really enjoy Fight Club either. Liked the soundtrack, a lot of things done right, but the plot wasn't interesting to me. Inception too. An interesting concept does not always equal an interesting movie.

The Dark Knight Rises. Really poor movie compared to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.
Skyfall. Easily the worst Bond movie of all time. Bond is all about the gadgets, the guns and the girls. None of which were used in this debacle. Also the worst Bond villain ever. Baron Greenback was more intimidating in Dangermouse.
Saw, Saw 2.....Saw 97 etc etc Terrible movies, all about 'shock' rather than bothering with a good script.
Days of Thunder, Born on the 4th of July. Possibly the most boring movies ever

The Dark Knight Rises. Really poor movie compared to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.
Skyfall. Easily the worst Bond movie of all time. Bond is all about the gadgets, the guns and the girls. None of which were used in this debacle. Also the worst Bond villain ever. Baron Greenback was more intimidating in Dangermouse.
Saw, Saw 2.....Saw 97 etc etc Terrible movies, all about 'shock' rather than bothering with a good script.
Days of Thunder, Born on the 4th of July. Possibly the most boring movies ever

I love how you specify a particular sequel in the series, like the entire thing isn't horrible and it's just this one ! :p but props for at least calling one out...
THANK YOU, for Skyfall. Great ***le, beautifully composed song (although I abhor that fat *****'s voice) but mediocrity, slowness and repetition really hinder this one. Some people loved it because it showed more realism and was less of a fairytale and more of what a realistic movie about a secret agent would be like, but nah just nah, boring as fk. (not that 'fk' is boring, just an expression..).
Saw however was brilliant. The rest fed off that premise and were just by the numbers horror, I liked the 2nd but that's the horror fan in me. But the first one on its own was a very good movie. Not a big fan of no.97 either though, so we agree there.

Dark Knight - 8/10
Batman Begins - 6/10
Dark Knight Rises - 4/10

Dark Knight - 8/10
Batman Begins - 6/10
Dark Knight Rises - 4/10

On that anyone see the interview Christopher Nolan gave about Heath Ledger. He was the original choice for Batman and turned it down because he wanted to play the Joker when the role was to happen. And also how deep and emotional he took the role on.

I usually do a bit of research before I go see a film. I don't go very often so when I do go I usually wait for a decent film to come out. However on some occasions I'm dragged along to the cinema by herself. On one such occasion we went to see the black swan. What a pile of negative garbage that was. Thats up there on my list.

I usually do a bit of research before I go see a film. I don't go very often so when I do go I usually wait for a decent film to come out. However on some occasions I'm dragged along to the cinema by herself. On one such occasion we went to see the black swan. What a pile of negative garbage that was. Thats up there on my list.

Yeah, that film is painfully lame.

Latest posts