• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

15 Things Only Rugby Players Will Understand

Jay Miletsky

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
United States
Looking to grow the list out - any suggestions on new items to add?

15 Things Only Rugby Players Will Understand

<section id="article-content" class="small-12 column sidebar-box" style="box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: transparent; padding-left: 0.9375rem; padding-right: 0.9375rem; width: 659px; float: left; position: relative; font-size: 1.125rem;">
Ask most people to describe rugby, and the best they can usually do is tell you about a confusing game they caught on some obscure cable channel (even then, they're probably talking about Australian rules football).
The fact that it's such a mystery to so many people is part of what makes ruggers part of such a close-knit community. If you've ever been part of it, then all or most of this list will be meaningful to you:

1. Saturday's a rugby day!
  2. Hooker jokes get old, fast...
  3. Playing wing on the college level is remarkably like playing centerfield in little league - it's totally okay to not pay attention, because nobody's getting the ball out to you, anyway.
  4. Drinking beer from a cleat is pretty much as awful as it sounds. But we do it when we have to.
  5. "Well, yeah, it's kinda like football, but you pass the ball backwards. It's...no, yeah, backwards. Just trust me, it makes sense."
  6. It should be very clear why Jesus can't play rugby.
  7. The episode of Friends where Ross played rugby marked a low point for the sport.
  8. Drinking beer isn't an optional recreation - it's the third half of the game.
  9. If I were the marrying kind (and thank The Lord I'm not, sir), the kind of rugger that I would wed would be a rugby...prop, sir. (I'd say why, but we've already established that hooker jokes get old fast).
  10. "No, it's not a football, it's a rugby ball. Yes, I know it looks like a football, but trust me, it's different."
  11. Lacrosse? Seriously?
  12. Anything worth buying is sold by Rugby Imports.
  13. Knee bent the wrong direction...looks like a bit of bone sticking out...HOLY **** that hurts! "No, I'm good coach, I can keep playing!"
  14. As important as it is to demolish the opponent on the field, it's just as important to shake his hand and share a beer with him after it's over.
  15. Sunday's recovery day.
</section>

<section id="article-content" class="small-12 column sidebar-box" style="box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: transparent; padding-left: 0.9375rem; padding-right: 0.9375rem; width: 659px; float: left; position: relative; font-size: 1.125rem;">
http://www.puckermob.com/lifestyle/15-things-only-rugby-players-will-understand

Thanks!

</section>

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the lads here may not get all the American references...but I think they all understand the beer part. :)

The bit about passing the ball backwards? Yeah - that's EXACTLY how the convo goes when explaining it!

I'll see if I can come up with anything - I don't play the game but I know just enough to be...

wrong. :p

However, I think I'm on the mark with this one: The prettier the back, the faster he'll run! ;)

das

Number 10 needs a little amendment in my opinion to include

"Also, the wearing of pads everywhere and a crash helmet not required to make big tackles" :D

And for the purposes of fairness I have played both sports

Latest posts