• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2009, take a bow

S

Steve-o

In the lead-up to the Barbarians vs New Zealand game, and in the midst of all the bickering among TRF members after the EOY tour, I think it would good for us rugby fans to reflect on a great year of rugby.

In our already awesome sport, 2009 was a humdinger.

The rise of the rampaging Spies in the Super 14, the thrill of the irrepressible Elsom in the Heineken Cup, the fulfilled prophecy of O'Driscoll in the Six Nations, the continuation of the a 100 year old rugby brotherhood and battle between the B&I Lions and Springboks, the exposure of a diamond in the form of Brussow during the Tri-Nations, and last but not least, the immortalisation of Richie McCaw.

I think we can give rugby a pat on the back on a job well done. We've been kept enthralled and entertained.

Great year for SA and Ireland.
Aus finding their feet. Scotland looking on the up. France is looking good.. at times. NZ getting the boat steady and one can only see them improving (how scary is that?).

The rest not too sure what they would take out of this year looking towards 2011.

Richie was IRB player of the year in 2006 and the first player to win the ***le twice for mentioning the obvious as a friend said it was high time McCaw got the award..

It kinda was really.

For me it was pretty powerful stuff. Leinster HEC success was completely unexpected so it made it all the sweeter. Especially on the back of the Grand Slam.

It was a shame the Welsh English and Scots f***ed up the Lions tour for us, but we all had a feeling that would happen. Still we put the record straight in the AI's (now that was a joke, relax!)

On the negatives though, more disciplinary nonsense just highlighted the problems the IRB have failed to sort out this year. The Bloodgate saga, Gouging, Simulation all seem to have found their way into the game.

My wish for 2010 would be a consistent disciplinary process, implemented across the globe, that policed the rules and the code of the game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 4 2009, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My wish for 2010 would be a consistent disciplinary process, implemented across the globe, that policed the rules and the code of the game.[/b]

World Peace?

missworld.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 4 2009, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It kinda was really.

For me it was pretty powerful stuff. Leinster HEC success was completely unexpected so it made it all the sweeter. Especially on the back of the Grand Slam.

It was a shame the Welsh English and Scots f***ed up the Lions tour for us, but we all had a feeling that would happen. Still we put the record straight in the AI's (now that was a joke, relax!)[/b]

I knew there was something wrong about poor Ronan..

rogeng.jpg

:lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 5 2009, 03:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I knew there was something wrong about poor Ronan..

rogeng.jpg

:lol:[/b]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually an interesting picture - Wilkinson is far more powerful than the Munster Master.

Anyway, the Lions were good but Vickery fcuked everything up in the first test.

I plan on writing a big old year review in the next week or so. Depends when I get some free time.

Great year indeed, my wish for 2010 is for the DSTV to become cheaper, then I can actually watch Currie Cup, Super14 and the AI without using buggy streams and slow wireless :)

Well, average year for AB's, but I can't see the rest of the world really having a problem with that, the one thing that has bugged me is the quality of Rugby this year, especially in internationals hasn't been wonderful. Several classic matches, but alot of average ones, with little running rugby this year. South Africa vs Lions was a good series, France vs New Zealand was a good match, but any other really great international matches this year? I may have missed a few really good matches out, but while the results have been pretty good, the style of rugby I haven't been too inmpressed with. That being said it puts a slight damper on this topic so never mind.

2010 wish list.

-Keep 14 team NPC competition in New Zealand
-Hurricanes to win Super 14 (I have been hurt so often)
-All Blacks continue on good form leading to 2011.
-ELVs get reviewed.

That is it, may not be everyones cup of tea, but would be nice.

I completely forgot about mentioning other developments like rugby sevens getting into the Olympics and Argentina to be included in the Tri-Nations in 2012. Add that to Japan getting the 2019 World Cup, and it's been a year of progress.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 4 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It kinda was really.

It was a shame the Welsh English and Scots f***ed up the Lions tour for us, but we all had a feeling that would happen. Still we put the record straight in the AI's (now that was a joke, relax!)

On the negatives though, more disciplinary nonsense just highlighted the problems the IRB have failed to sort out this year. The Bloodgate saga, Gouging, Simulation all seem to have found their way into the game.

My wish for 2010 would be a consistent disciplinary process, implemented across the globe, that policed the rules and the code of the game.[/b]

TBH I thought the English and Welsh performed pretty good and arguably better than the Irish; O'Gara. Welsh front row, tries to Williams, Croft etc. The Welsh and English managed a victory at the end. Roberts gave you huge momentum...

Wishlist for 2010:

- some consistancy in citing and punishment
- clearity ITO the ruck; old school was better IMO
- a rematch between BOD and FdP for IRB POtY 2010 (may they continue their run of form)
- Stormers (and Cheetahs) to come good on the promise they've shown in this year's Currie cup
- More beating NZ in NZ
- for SANZAR to somehow realize that S15 in conferences is not the answer
- for John O'Neil to step on something poisonous. God knows Aus has enough of those

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Dec 5 2009, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
TBH I thought the English and Welsh performed pretty good and arguably better than the Irish; O'Gara. Welsh front row, tries to Williams, Croft etc. The Welsh and English managed a victory at the end. Roberts gave you huge momentum...[/b]

IT

WAS

A

JOKE!

The big positive of the year: resurgence of the game's core traditions.

It started in 2008 with that Munster game vs the All Blacks. A year on, and Leicester, Gloucester, Saracens and Cardiff have all taken time off their busy schedules to play a touring side, with 2 fantastic upsets and 4 games drawing big crowds. This is what rugby needs.

Furthermore, again re-started in 2008 but better emphasized this year - the Barbarians playing their traditional end of tour fixture. Probably the single greatest asset that rugby union has is the Barbarians, and it's wonderful to see them play competitively.

The Lions tour was also a huge success. I know we lost, but once again the players stepped up and some fantastic rugby was played. In the wake of the disastrous tour of 2005 (caused partly by the emergence of an utterly awesome ABs team), it was very refreshing that the Lions tour went so well.

Negative of the year: standard of play itself. The maul has returned, which is good, but so many other aspects, notably the breakdown and kicking, need to be looked at.

-------------

What I'd like to see in 2010:

* an England team that plays to its potential
* Italy to win at least 1 game in the 6 nations
* Saracens to keep up the good form and win the GP grand final
* European sides to put more effort into their summer tours, and to play club sides too
* a final between the winners of the Heineken Cup and Super 14
* the scrapping of the Anglo-Welsh cup to free up the fixture list and get rid of meaningless games that clubs don't take seriously
* people being allowed to kick to touch from a passback into the 22
* referees to ensure the put-in to the scrum is straight
* return of rucking
* Inglis and Slater to not be injured when they come up to Leeds to play the world club challenge.

All I want from 2010 is to see refs wear their national jerseys again. How cool would that be?

My expectations/desires from 2010.

The Irish and South African people on here to STOP ARGUING please :lol:
Bath to get relegated and the RFU to let it happen instead of some random and conveniently timed rule change to prevent a promotion.
Bristol to go up so the RFU can't introduce aforementioned rule change.
Rob Andrew to realize he is talking utter horse poop.
Wales to play a sequence of consistently good performances we don't have to win them, just play well for 5-6 games straight.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Dec 6 2009, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
All I want from 2010 is to see refs wear their national jerseys again. How cool would that be?[/b]

So when Wayne Barnes referees Fiji he'll be in skintight purple? :lol:

Latest posts