• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2011 Squad Predictions

Yeh Hibbard is a fine player. His throwing has improved immesurably this season (his only real weakness), so I have no doubts that he's our second choice hooker considering Ken Owens is injured. Hibbard offers a huge amount in open play, including good driving work and excellent tackle count. His main strength though is his scrummaging, he's by far our best scrummaging hooker, and put him between Paul James and Adam, as it is with the Ospreys, and they can take on any scrum in the world. Rees' scrummaging is perfectly fine aswell mind, and Gethin Jenkins fares much better with Adam at tight head for Wales than he does with the Blues.

I think Gavin Henson is certainly an option in Gatland's mind, and a very likely one at that. Howley has said today that he'll likely start against the Baabaa's to see if he can slot straight back into international rugby. I don't really care if some people think he's taking a spot from a hard working rival like Bishop, because Henson is a class above and adds something no other centre we have can, some genuine vision and an all round game. Jon Davies could have a field day alongside Gav if Gav can put him into gaps in a similar way King does for the Scarlets. Davies will run in tries all day given a bit of room. I've not been impressed with Roberts at 13, and Gav simply didn't operate there for Sarries, so that partership would likely take more time to come good than what's available before the WC. Roberts would be a bit unlucky to miss out if Gav comes back into the equation, but he needs to develop his all round game to really compete with the other two. Roberts could make an excellent impact sub considering he can cover 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15! A little kick-up the backside could bring the best out of him again too.

I bloody hope Mike Phillips isn't a certainty in Gatlands eyes. I wouldn't even have him in the squad on present form, although we all probably know he'll be on the plane!

I think Roberts would perform better at 13 with Henson at IC. Henson is a class player and one of the best in the world on his day. I feel that Roberts is a better player than the role in which he is being utilised by Howley. If anything, give him a run at fullback, as I don't want to go down to NZ with only an off-form Lee Byrne.

I'd like to see Richie Rees given a shot, perhaps against Argentina.

I think Roberts would perform better at 13 with Henson at IC. Henson is a class player and one of the best in the world on his day. I feel that Roberts is a better player than the role in which he is being utilised by Howley. If anything, give him a run at fullback, as I don't want to go down to NZ with only an off-form Lee Byrne.

I'd like to see Richie Rees given a shot, perhaps against Argentina.

Yeh, I have the same oppinion of Roberts. He's got more to his game than he's allowed to show. The problem is that he's just so very good at running hard and straight, that it must be too big a temptation not to use him like that all the time. I'm not quite sure Roberts has the right attributes to be a good 13. He's not quite quick enough, or elusive enough to finish a chance when he's put in space. Compare that with Davies, as soon as he's put behind defenses, he has the ability to beat the fullback with ease. We still don't have a propper 13, so it's a matter of who's the closest fit, and for me that's Davies.

I'd like to see Roberts tried again at fullback aswell. We need cover for Byrne, and it seems that the only real options are: Hook (rubbish fullback, doesn't hit the line atall), Halfpenny (good option, but his height could be a disadvantage, doesn't seem to have any problems on the wing though), Priestland (good option again imo, always heavily involved with the Scarlets tries, be it from 10 or 15), Roberts (good under the high ball, strong defence, strong runner, only real question marks are over his kicking as he hasn't done so in a long time, but it used to be ok), and possibly Stoddart (rubbish defence at fullback). Someone needs to be tried, who's it gonna be Gatland (Hook is the wrong answer btw)?

I disagree completely about Roberts not being a 13. He was at his best for the Lions and Wales when there was a creative man placed inside of him at 12. People forget he has good hands and a good pass which we never see because he is used as a battering ram. He is defensively more solid than Davies also. Davies also showed during the 6 Nations he was weaknesses in his game and did not live up to his hype which some are forgetting.

Australian Team:

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. James Slipper
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. James O'Connor
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Digby Ioane
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Stephen Moore
17. Ben Alexander
18. Dan Vickermann
19. Scott Higginbotham
20. Luke Burgess
21. Berrick Barnes
22. Pat McCabe

Reserves:
- Saia Faingaa
- Sekope Kepu
- Rob Simmons
- Matt Hodgson
- Nick Phipps
- Matt Giteau
- Stirling Mortlock
- Lachie Turner

Yeh, I have the same oppinion of Roberts. He's got more to his game than he's allowed to show. The problem is that he's just so very good at running hard and straight, that it must be too big a temptation not to use him like that all the time. I'm not quite sure Roberts has the right attributes to be a good 13. He's not quite quick enough, or elusive enough to finish a chance when he's put in space. Compare that with Davies, as soon as he's put behind defenses, he has the ability to beat the fullback with ease. We still don't have a propper 13, so it's a matter of who's the closest fit, and for me that's Davies.

I'd like to see Roberts tried again at fullback aswell. We need cover for Byrne, and it seems that the only real options are: Hook (rubbish fullback, doesn't hit the line atall), Halfpenny (good option, but his height could be a disadvantage, doesn't seem to have any problems on the wing though), Priestland (good option again imo, always heavily involved with the Scarlets tries, be it from 10 or 15), Roberts (good under the high ball, strong defence, strong runner, only real question marks are over his kicking as he hasn't done so in a long time, but it used to be ok), and possibly Stoddart (rubbish defence at fullback). Someone needs to be tried, who's it gonna be Gatland (Hook is the wrong answer btw)?
The questionmark over Stoddart was always his tackling rather than positoning. He's very good at sheparding attackers towards a touchline or into another defender, and as his tackling's looking far better this season (Just the two misses in the Six Nations) I still think he's worth a shot there.

The questionmark over Stoddart was always his tackling rather than positoning. He's very good at sheparding attackers towards a touchline or into another defender, and as his tackling's looking far better this season (Just the two misses in the Six Nations) I still think he's worth a shot there.

It's a combination with Stoddart I think. He's got a rubbish tackling technique, and tends to just put his body in the way. He can get away with this on the wing, mainly because as you said he can use the touchline as cover, and he's a reletively big man. At fullback however, his other weakness comes to the fore, and that's a similar weakness that Byrne used to have, he seems to fly up to try and make the tackle, selling himself, which means he can get stepped easily. He needs to learn to just hold back and give himself time to react to the attacker, like Byrne has done. He's more of an attacking threat from fullback though, but the international stage isn't the place to try and iron out his defensive weaknesses, it's up to the Scarlets to do that if they belive he can still make a quality fullback.

With North and Lamont on the wings and King and Davies in the centres, I can certainly see Stoddart getting the 15 shirt between now and the end of the season.

Besides Shane and Aled Brew, he does track better than all the other wingers in Wales. That's one of his real strengths. He reads Jon Davies very well.

Aled Brew does **** all except blow tries.
For the sake of my sanity can Gatland just tell him (and Biggar, Bennett, JT) to jog on?

Dan Evans hasn't really performed as expected, so I could see Stoddart back at 15. I'd give Lamont a shot at fullback, he was much better than Southwell against us. (Mind you, many things are better than Southwell)

Aled Brew does **** all except blow tries.
For the sake of my sanity can Gatland just tell him (and Biggar, Bennett, JT) to jog on?

Dan Evans hasn't really performed as expected, so I could see Stoddart back at 15. I'd give Lamont a shot at fullback, he was much better than Southwell against us. (Mind you, many things are better than Southwell)

Brew does bomb chances in-particularly on big occasions. I like Brew as I do Tom James. Both have speed and hands but need a little further help from the people above. Brew has problem with his hands that was noted the other day with Gwyn Jones on S4C.

Stoddart Im not a fan of. Nice bloke and all but people forget like they do with Jon Davies, Stoddart almost blew his tries in the 6 Nations, his positioning is sometimes weak and his tackling is poor for an international winger or full back. Dan Evans has not developed as once promised, played for Llandovery on the weekend.

Aled Brew is like Tom James if he was able to think. Unfortunatly, that ability sometimes leads to weird things called 'Emotions' that result in him being overwhelmed when playing infront of 80 thousand passionate fans.

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. James Slipper
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pocock
8. Scott Higginbotham

9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Anthony Faingaa
13. Digby Ioane
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. Kurley Beale

16. Stephen Moore
17. Sekope Kepu
18. Rob Simmons
19. Matt Hodgson
20. Luke Burgess
21. Mike Harris (If he signs for Australia)
22. James O'Connor

23. James Hanson
24. Ben Daley
25. Dan Vickerman
26. Beau Robinson
27. Wycliff Palu
28. Richard Kingi
29. Pat McCutchen
30. Lauchlan Turner

I must say I thought at least some Aussies would like Ben McCalman, I thought he did very well last year, not so much this year though but then again no-one (bar O' Connor) has played well at the Force this year

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. James Slipper
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pocock
8. Scott Higginbotham

9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Anthony Faingaa
13. Digby Ioane
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. Kurley Beale

16. Stephen Moore
17. Sekope Kepu
18. Rob Simmons
19. Matt Hodgson
20. Luke Burgess
21. Mike Harris (If he signs for Australia)
22. James O'Connor

23. James Hanson
24. Ben Daley
25. Dan Vickerman
26. Beau Robinson
27. Wycliff Palu
28. Richard Kingi
29. Pat McCutchen
30. Lauchlan Turner

NZs biggest issue right now is reserve 10. Looking at this Australian side, 4 first five options (Cooper, Harris, JOC, Kingi) could have played for the All Blacks. Thats depressing.

I must say I thought at least some Aussies would like Ben McCalman, I thought he did very well last year, not so much this year though but then again no-one (bar O' Connor) has played well at the Force this year

McCalman was great last year, IMHO.
Rightfully the Wallabies 8 for the November tour.

What is Mike Harris like?

McCalman was great last year, IMHO.
Rightfully the Wallabies 8 for the November tour.

What is Mike Harris like?

McCalman will undoubtedly be in the Aussies RWC squad - he's played pretty well from what I've seen this year in a disappointing Force team.

Harris is a Kiwi, who should have been picked for the Blues. He's a solid player - kicks well, defends well, and can play 10,12, and 15, but has never been that spectacular. He's played a couple of good games for the Reds (at 12 and 15), but I don't think you would have him anywhere near a Wallaby team right now unless you were a rampant Reds supporter....

Yeah, I thought McCalman was better than Richard Brown when he started.
I haven't seen much of Higginbotham or Hodgson, so I cannot comment.

The Wallabies could have a pretty quick backline with O'Connor at 12 (Not sure how well that would work). Hopefully Barnes recovers well enough; outperformed Giteau last year.

Yeah, I thought McCalman was better than Richard Brown when he started.
I haven't seen much of Higginbotham or Hodgson, so I cannot comment.

The Wallabies could have a pretty quick backline with O'Connor at 12 (Not sure how well that would work). Hopefully Barnes recovers well enough; outperformed Giteau last year.

Yep McCalman was far superior to Richard Brown last year; as an AB's supporter I wish they had persisted with Brown! This year he will face some stiff competition this year from Wycliff Palu (who was injured nearly all last year). Higginbotham is a good player - bloody fast for a loose-forward - personally I think he is better at 6 than at 8. If he can stay injury free he will certainly be a contender for the Aussie RWC squad, though there is plenty of stiff competition. Hodgson is a solid all round player who will probably be their primarily as Pocock's backup at openside flanker. Don't think he is as good a player as Phil Waugh, but his ability to play all three loose-forward positions gives him the edge over Waugh.

The Aussie backline will certainly be interesting, as they have a number of quality player, many who can play multiple positions. I'd assume that we will see Genia at 9, Cooper at 10, Mitchell at 11, and Beale at 15, but who will play 12,13, and 14 is still a mystery at this stage (in my mind at least). Giteau, Barnes, O'Conner, and Faingaa are all options at 12 - who gets the nod will probably depend on who's style of play complements Quade Coopers best. Personally I think the Aussies need to have a strong runner outside Cooper, rather than another creative player, therefore the likes of Faingaa or even Mortlock could be a good choice (Faingaa especially, as he and Cooper have formed a strong combination at the Reds). Plenty of options at 13, and 14 as well... Robbie Deans is certainly in a good position in terms of backline options!

All Blacks WC Squad

Props: Owen & Ben Franks, Tony Woodcock and Jamie Mackintosh. J-Mack is a bolter for the squad but behind Owen is the form prop in NZ rugby and deserves a spot, great leadership attributes aswell.
Hookers: Keven Mealamu, Andrew Hore, Hika Elliot. Don't really need to justify these selections.
Locks: Brad Thorn, Sam Whitelock, Tom Donnelly/Jarrad Hoeata/Josh Bekhuis/Anthony Boric. Third lock spot is a real tough selection and may even take four but you got to feel for Donnelly who got a real ****ling injury in a WC year but Hoeata and Bekhuis have really done well for the Landers. Boric is one of the most under rated, consistent locks in Super Rugby.
Backrows: Richie McCaw, Kieran Read, Jerome Kaino, Victor Vito, Adam Thomson. Loose forwards is one of NZ's most abundant talent pool and could have about 5 or more who could replace these guys and perform at a high level. I personally would prefer to have 6. Thomson 7. McCaw 8. Read/Vito but I think Henry will go with loyalty and stick with Kaino at blindside.
Scrumhalf: Jimmy Cowan, Piri Weepu, Andy Ellis. Could also have Alby Matthewson instead of Ellis but maybe the Crusaders chem at 9 & 10 will weigh in Ellis's favour.
Flyhalf: Dan Carter, Luke McAlister, Stephen Donald/Colin Slade/Aaron Crude. After Dan Carter, NZ lack a standout reserve 2nd five and I just hope we don't resort to giving Donald another AB cap but he always manages to get a spot. Cruden has also been groomed for a while in the mix for the next AB flyhalf. Jesus.
Centres: Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, SBW, Robbie Fruean. Pretty strong area of general selection but might be a bit of a headache to sort out the playing 22.
Wing: Joe Rokocoko, Cory Jane, Israel Dagg, Kade Poki/Sean Maitland. Joe will make it due to reputation, Jane is one of my favourite players because he excels wherever he plays. Dagg is a great player who has been called upon before and performed at wing. Poki and Maitland are the in form wingers of Super Rugby, Maitland more so in finishing.
Full Back: Mils Muliaina, Isaia Toeava. Easy choice and Toeava has found a new home at FB and they have good cover with Dagg and Jane in the squad.

All Blacks WC Squad

Props: Owen & Ben Franks, Tony Woodcock and Jamie Mackintosh. J-Mack is a bolter for the squad but behind Owen is the form prop in NZ rugby and deserves a spot, great leadership attributes aswell.
Hookers: Keven Mealamu, Andrew Hore, Hika Elliot. Don't really need to justify these selections.
Locks: Brad Thorn, Sam Whitelock, Tom Donnelly/Jarrad Hoeata/Josh Bekhuis/Anthony Boric. Third lock spot is a real tough selection and may even take four but you got to feel for Donnelly who got a real ****ling injury in a WC year but Hoeata and Bekhuis have really done well for the Landers. Boric is one of the most under rated, consistent locks in Super Rugby.
Backrows: Richie McCaw, Kieran Read, Jerome Kaino, Victor Vito, Adam Thomson. Loose forwards is one of NZ's most abundant talent pool and could have about 5 or more who could replace these guys and perform at a high level. I personally would prefer to have 6. Thomson 7. McCaw 8. Read/Vito but I think Henry will go with loyalty and stick with Kaino at blindside.
Scrumhalf: Jimmy Cowan, Piri Weepu, Andy Ellis. Could also have Alby Matthewson instead of Ellis but maybe the Crusaders chem at 9 & 10 will weigh in Ellis's favour.
Flyhalf: Dan Carter, Luke McAlister, Stephen Donald/Colin Slade/Aaron Crude. After Dan Carter, NZ lack a standout reserve 2nd five and I just hope we don't resort to giving Donald another AB cap but he always manages to get a spot. Cruden has also been groomed for a while in the mix for the next AB flyhalf. Jesus.
Centres: Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, SBW, Robbie Fruean. Pretty strong area of general selection but might be a bit of a headache to sort out the playing 22.
Wing: Joe Rokocoko, Cory Jane, Israel Dagg, Kade Poki/Sean Maitland. Joe will make it due to reputation, Jane is one of my favourite players because he excels wherever he plays. Dagg is a great player who has been called upon before and performed at wing. Poki and Maitland are the in form wingers of Super Rugby, Maitland more so in finishing.
Full Back: Mils Muliaina, Isaia Toeava. Easy choice and Toeava has found a new home at FB and they have good cover with Dagg and Jane in the squad.

I'm not sure whether Jamie MacIntosh (or Wyatt Crockett for that case) will be able to force their way into the squad, as they are, like Woodcock, almost exclusively loosehead props. Mackintosh has been experimented with at tighthead prop at NPC level, but hasn't played there at Super Rugby level (as far as I'm aware). The problem is that with Woodcock starting, they cannot afford to play Mackintosh on the bench, as there is no cover for tighthead prop. Likewise if either of the tighthead props (Owen & Ben Franks in your case) get injured they won't have tight-head prop cover in there 22, so will have to call another player into the squad.... So basically if you have Mackintosh in the squad he is only really there to rest Woodcock, and cover Woodcock if he gets injured...

Afoa is bound to be in the squad as the backup tighthead prop, and though I do think that Mackintosh (and Crockett) are both probably better loosehead props than Ben Franks at this stage, their inability to cover both sides will probably count against them.

Anyways the 30 I think Henry and co. will pick:

Woodcock, Ben Franks, Afoa, Owen Franks
Mealamu, Hore, Elliot
Thorn, Sam Whitelock, Boric, Jack/Williams/Donnelly (the last lock spot is probably still open)
Kaino, Thomson, McCaw, Read, Messem
Weepu, Cowan, Ellis
Carter, MacAlister
Nonu, SBW, Smith, Kahui
Gear, Jane, Toeava, Sivivatu/Dagg
Muliaina

Last edited:

Latest posts