• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2012 New Zealand Squads

Haskell's contract in Japan was apparently for a short period - this contract apparently runs out before the start of the Super Rugby season.

You will have to keep us posted mate, as the last nterview I saw him give he stated he was looking at staying in Japan for a year, but I guess like Nonu it would still give him time to make the season. I can't find any confirmation if he is or not, might not be a bad signing though.

I had heard talk of Glenn Dickson pinching first five/ fullback cover, he has a good boot but i'm glad he didn't, i always felt he was a bit slow at first five and it would have been a bit of a step backwards....althought Noakes isn't exactly the future is he?

with any luck we will see very little of the 3rd choice first five and lima and colin will have it sorted

I imagine Dickson would have been an option, but I get the feeling that NPC rugby is about his level. I think Noakes has the potential to be a very good Super Rugby player - he always seems to have plenty of time to do things (which is usually the sign of a quality player), but for some unknown reason he has been horribly inconsistent. As you say, hopefully Slade and Sopoaga can stay fit so we don't have to use Noakes!

All of the above are such average players. How the hurricanes picked these guys while neglecting their own talent bases is criminal.

While I agree there are certainly a number of average players in the Canes, I think it is a bit harsh to put the likes of Goodes, Toomaga-Allen, Ngatai, and Perenara in that category. They are all still very young (Ngatai is the oldest at 21, while Perenara is still only 19!), and have the potential to be very good Super Rugby players. The Canes need young talented players such are these to rebuild their franchise.

What happened to Mat Luamanu for the Blues? He was meant to be the next big thing?

Probably Nick Williams class, Needs to work on his fitness - he's a talent tho.

Although Pat has a vested interest in turning out Brad Mika in the loosies...

Well, the Hurricanes are a discrace. The amount of average Wellington players is a travesty. I hope Taranaki gets their own franchise with either Hawkes bay, east coast and Poverty bay or Manawatu and Wanganui/Wairarapa.

You for real? You can hardly accuse Hammett of being Wellington biased. Can I ask you for examples of who you would replace Wellington players with? In saying that we do look incredibly average this year.

Hurricanes 2012:

15 Jane
14 Leiua
13 Smith
12 Bateman
11 Taylor
10 Pisi
9 Smylie
8 Vito
7 Lam
6 Shields
5 Eaton
4 Thrush
3 May
2 Coles
1 Bent

16 Hall
17 Toomaga-Allen
18 Reddish
19 Lowe
20 Perenara
21 Barrett
22 Buckman/Ngatai

Really depressing Hurricanes team. The worst I've ever seen to be honest.

This is really what happens when you spend all your time keeping a core group of players together at the cost of the younger talent and then throw your core group away.

Considering how much Hammet F*cked up, the players he's brought in have been nothing signings. It looks like it will take at least another three or four seasons before this team looks at all competitive.

The 'almost there' team. I have to say considering all the world cup year leavers, the depth of NZ rugby is looking pretty good. Outside backs especially. Front row is a bit depleted though, with a few imports i think this side could do just as well as the Rebels in their first year

1)Jacob Ellison
2)Liam Coltman
3)David Te Moana
4)Steven Luatua
5)Luke Andrews
6)TJ Ioane
7)Marty Holah/Callum Gibbons
8)Colin Bourke
9)Mark Swanepoel
10)Ben Botica
11)Bryce Heem
12)Phil Burleigh
13)Save Tokula
14)Gillies Kaka
15)Nehi Milner-Skudder

16)Lawrence Corlett
17)Latu Talakai
18)Dominic Bird
19)Ben Souness
20)Scott Cowan
21)Ben Atiga
22)Charlie Piutau

Last edited:
I think Haskell is a good fit for Super Rugby. He is a strong loose forward, and his ability to cover 6,7 and 8 should have him going well at the Highlanders.

When I look through the players in the England world cup squad looking for players who I think would go well in Super Rugby, Haskell would be one of the first names I settle on. Ashton and Foden would be close too.

Japan was always a stop gap for Haskell, he said his intention was to go to Super Rugby but he's going to Japan.first because otherwise he has a massive gap with no rugby

I look forward to seeing how he goes down there!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Blues, Saders, Highlanders and Chiefs look sharp.
Curious to see who will get the 15 jersey at the Chiefs.

Blues, Saders, Highlanders and Chiefs look sharp.
Curious to see who will get the 15 jersey at the Chiefs.

I'd imagine Nanai-Williams will get the first shot at the 15 jersey. I wouldn't feel that safe with either he nor Robinson at fullback (defense, decision making, and ability to handle pressure are issues for both of them), but thus far Nanai-Williams has looked more comfortable at Super Rugby level, and does have an amazing ability to create something out of nothing.

james mcgougan get a contract?
No. I'm not surprised he didn't get one either, he was absolutely horrendous for Otago. He has developed an amazing ability to lose the ball whenever he takes it into contact - I used to rate him quite highly, but I hope desperately that he hasn't been signed on by Otago again next season!

Anyways onto the Highlanders:

Looks like he strongest squad I've seen almost 10 years. As long as they don't suffer too many injuries they could well push for a playoff spot this year. However the Highlanders do still lack depth in a few areas. Last season this lack of depth was exposed as the season went on, as Joseph was forced to play some players every week meaning by the end of the season many players were fatigued, and the teams performances dropped off as a result. The obvious solution is to rest players more often throughout the season, though whether the Highlanders have the depth for this yet is the big question.

Andrew Hore is a massive acquisition for the Highlanders. Rutledge is a very good hooker, but his lack of size at scrum time has always been an issue. Hore not only adds more physicality around the field, but he adds another player who is great at the breakdown. This could be vital if the Highlanders opt for a Thomson, Haskell, Manu loose-trio. While Hore obviously improves the front-row, the front-row is still not that strong. Mackintosh is fantastic around the field, but still struggles at scrum time at this level, while King is a solid player, but is never going to dominate opposition scrums. Behind these two there is not much depth either: Murray is experienced, but is probably not good enough to start at this level, while Fia is still very young (21), especially for a tight-head prop. I really like the look of Fia, but I still think he's a year or two away from being ready to start at this level.

The starting locking combination is very strong (Hoeata and Bekhuis), and I think Callum Retallick is the sort of lock that will flourish under Jamie Joseph. He is very good in the lineout, and does the basics right around the field without being at all flashy. If any of these top three locks gets injured there may be an issue though, as they are the only three locks in the squad, with Nick Crosswell providing lock coverage if required. I actually think Crosswell has the potential to be a very good lock in the Hoeata mould, but he has very little experience at lock even at ITM Cup level.

There are plenty of options in the loose-forwards (7 loosies, not including Hoeata as he looks like he will play all his rugby at lock this season). I'm not convinced with either of the genuine openside options in the squad (Hardie & Tietjens) - Hardie's been pretty disappointing at Super Rugby level, while Tietjens has no experience at this level at all. While I generally prefer to play a genuine openside, I think a Thomson, Haskell, Manu trio may be the way to go. I was very impressed with the way Manu developed last season: if he can continue this development (read: continue to improve his tackling percentage, hit a few more rucks, improve his handling) he may well be pushing for an AB's spot by the end of next year. I would quite like to see young Elliot Dixon get some gametime at 8, but with Manu and Haskell both in the squad I expect his gametime this season may again be restricted.

Assuming Slade can stay fit for more than a few games the halves combination will be strong. If he does get injured I'd be a bit more worried, as I'm not yet convinced by Sopoaga at Super Rugby level. He seems to have all the skills, but I still think he is a year or two away from being able to run a Super Rugby team. Not convinced about Noakes either, but at least he is a very good goal-kicker, which is something that the Highlanders lacked last season. Unless Jimmy Cowan starts to show some great form I could potential see Aaron Smith overtaking him as the Highlanders starting halfback this season. Smith is by far the best passing halfback in the country, and could potentially set the backline alight, though he doesn't yet have the same ability to control a game that Cowan possesses (nor Cowan's accurate box-kicking game, or outstanding cover-defense).

The Highlanders have plenty of options in the midfield and outside backs - something they haven't had for years. I personally favour a Treeby/Ellison midfield, with a back three of Gear/Poki/Smith, but would be happy to see any of Lynn, Piutau, or Kurt Baker starting as well. One of the major questions the Highlanders will have is what to do will Ben Smith and Tamati Ellison, as both players are capable of playing in nearly every backline position bar halfback. Given the Highlanders will be playing almost half of there games in a covered stadium (hence a dry hard ground) whoever gets chosen should get plenty of chances with ball in hand.

Overall I can't wait for the season to start. Two years ago that would have been a very strange thing to say for a Highlanders supporter!

Last edited:
I think Kerr-Barlow would have the upper hand on Smith in the passing department :p

I think Kerr-Barlow would have the upper hand on Smith in the passing department :p

I'd disagree there, but I do think it is hard to accurately compare the passing game of two players. Kerr-Barlow has a very good passing game (one of the best in the country), but I think Smith's passing is better, both in distance and accuracy. You only have to look at how much time Cruden has when he plays for Manawatu. I really rate Kerr-Barlow, and I actually think he has the potential to be a better player than Smith - not only does he have a strong passing game, but he is a big physical defender, and is dangerous whenever he runs (not that Smith isn't a dangerous runner, just that Kerr-Barlow has a better running game). My main issue with Kerr-Barlow is that he often tries to do far too much himself, but that is something he will (hopefully) improve as he gets more experienced. I really hope Kerr-Barlow gets plenty of starts for the Chiefs this season, as he (and Smith) look like they could be quality AB's halfbacks within the next couple of years.

Last edited:
Yeah he sometimes looks to do too much himself - he just needs to calm down some of that X factor of is.

I think that's partially due to him coming on at around the 60th minutes in most games though, so he wants to make a statement. Hopefully he does get more starts this season.

Latest posts