• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013/14 Pro12] Round 11

If every player that took to the field had the game intelligence to know what to do they wouldn't need a "leader" to tell them what to do.

The academies are all well and good - but there is no substitute for actually playing against bigger, better, dirtier men and learning from it... rather than wrap them up in proverbial cotton wool.

Can't agree with all you're saying there.

A leader's not just there to make decisions - that's not even the majority of what he should be doing - he's the guy getting the rest in the right frame of mind, geeing them up, calming them down. Even at the top level, even in teams with multiple leaders, you notice the guys who can do that. A better quality of player does not wipe out a need for leaders. Our intensity was awful. We need more guys who self-start and gee up others.

Also - there's no substitute for gametime, but there's also no substitute for basic athleticism and skills. The first, you pretty much have it or you don't, although it still needs development. The second, if you're trying to learn them after school then to a certain extent, it's too late. Who's getting wrapped up in cotton wool? My point is that trying to turn guys like Andrew and McIlwaine into good Pro 12 players is an uphill struggle as they simply don't look that talented, nevermind all the young forwards who never got a chance but looked pretty naff in the Ravens. The Academy needs to find and upskill more players who have the talent to succeed in professional rugby. Without that, the rest is pretty pointless.

http://www.saltyrunning.com/2012/05/14/overcoming-injury-and-the-im-back-run/

I'm back :D

Sorry I haven't had chance to write as was away travelling but still got to see Munster all the time and well after seeing the 2 Irish derbies weekend I must say Irish rugby is in great place. Our refs are desperate though and Rolland especially should be retired immediately (Stood down for month) and he gone at end of season anyway.

Starting with tonight, Connacht did well and the 2 academy lads at 10&15 showed well and can be proud. Leinster were as expected average as they are bubbling up for next 2 weeks. What I will add is I hope Heaslip goes to France as Leinster have few gems like Jordi Murphy so Heaslip gone will benefit Ireland.

As for last night, better team won but their pack were poor and well the fact we could've sneaked it (arguably should have) says enough. But I will say if Payne plays 13 for Ireland I will be disappointed as he's a good 13 but a world class 15.
As for us - pack were excellent and well unfortunately all injuries are bad news but there was silver lining. Casey was super and reminded me of Fla. Foley made his presence known and Duncan didn't kill us at 9. But we learnt a lot and it was perfect warm up for next weekend.
Just sad that Rolland ruined it. Don't get me wrong Ulster deserved win but seriously. He told POM he was fine and it was player on ground was offender, goes to TMO and it only POM and Ulster players there then realized he screwed up and makes up a spiel of crap