• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

URC 2022/2023 Round 11

The South Africans bumped it up. Also worrying is how the Scottish derby had a bigger attendance than the two Welsh ones combined.
The Scarlets game was at about 60% attendance, so not ideal with a small stadium. Cardiff was sold out though - cant fit more than the stadium capacity.

The South Africans bumped it up. Also worrying is how the Scottish derby had a bigger attendance than the two Welsh ones combined.
I think there has to be some understanding about the context of these attendances. Wales have 4 pro teams and less population than Scotland, and a lot less than Ireland, SA and Italy.

12,000 at a game in Wales is good given the area covered, imagine there will be 10,000 for the scarlets next week as well. Cardiff has a population of 362,000, around 50,000 of those are students and there is a lot of competition for sport here. There are very well supported football and ice hockey teams, just to name two.

I don't imagine the scarlets and ospreys would consider the dragons as a big derby either, so that turnout for the scarlets game isn't too bad.

I think it's more of a case of imagine what might be possible in terms of growth here if there were fewer issues with governance and club politics.

Cardiffrfcfans do some handy analysis around attendances for a lot of teams if anyone is interested:

Last edited:

Latest posts