• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2013 Junior World Championship

Watched the SA - Wales match. Have to say it was a brilliant match and I can't believe the level at which these guys play. I understand the 'real thing' is another step up but you've got to tip your hat to these boys. Some handling errors but it was a pressure game and Wales shut us out cleverly but more importantly IMO out-enthused us. Got a bit lucky there with that try but I can't say I'm too upset especially as I think it's a good lesson for our boys to not rest on your laurels with time nearly out; not in such a close match with so much riding on it. Now, Wales, you might as well do everyone a favour and win the damn thing.

Watched the SA - Wales match. Have to say it was a brilliant match and I can't believe the level at which these guys play. I understand the 'real thing' is another step up but you've got to tip your hat to these boys. Some handling errors but it was a pressure game and Wales shut us out cleverly but more importantly IMO out-enthused us. Got a bit lucky there with that try but I can't say I'm too upset especially as I think it's a good lesson for our boys to not rest on your laurels with time nearly out; not in such a close match with so much riding on it. Now, Wales, you might as well do everyone a favour and win the damn thing.

Agree 100%

Our babyboks can only learn from this. And I hope we keep Dawie Theron as coach, he has done a great job so far, and It can't be expected of him to win every tournament.
We had the backline, but our forwards were a bit on the weaker side. We had a bad time at Scrums, but were great at lineouts. Our biggest problem was the rucks. we couldn't secure the ball most of the time. could also have something to do with the pace at which our backs played. those poor old big guys just couldn't keep up.

Agree 100%

Our babyboks can only learn from this. And I hope we keep Dawie Theron as coach, he has done a great job so far, and It can't be expected of him to win every tournament.
We had the backline, but our forwards were a bit on the weaker side. We had a bad time at Scrums, but were great at lineouts. Our biggest problem was the rucks. we couldn't secure the ball most of the time. could also have something to do with the pace at which our backs played. those poor old big guys just couldn't keep up.
Ja, what the hell is up with our rucks and scrums! At senior levels as well. I hope we have learnt that you need an out-and-out fetcher as much as a good tighthead (something else we are struggling with). I have to say I am not overly surprised though; I didn't know and havn't heard of a single of those forwards beforehand while many of the backs have been around. I assumed at the start it was because backs generally come to the fore earlier in their careers but this was certainly not one of the better forward packs we've had in this competition in hindsight.

Ja, what the hell is up with our rucks and scrums! At senior levels as well. I hope we have learnt that you need an out-and-out fetcher as much as a good tighthead (something else we are struggling with). I have to say I am not overly surprised though; I didn't know and havn't heard of a single of those forwards beforehand while many of the backs have been around. I assumed at the start it was because backs generally come to the fore earlier in their careers but this was certainly not one of the better forward packs we've had in this competition in hindsight.

Yeah, some of them didn't even play Varsity Cup. others are still in school. Kwagga Smith impressed me yesterday (no. 19, he scored the try) he did something very clever, he tackled a guy, then rolled over, with him being at the opposition side, stood up and ripped the ball. he didn't release the player so he got penalised. But that is a great way to tackle and steal the ball if you can release the player inbetween.

Kwagga Smith!? Fantastic name. Looked a tidy player in general, hope he makes it.

Welsh 15 was pretty amazing, you guys had Bryne, Halfpenny now this lad, and we've had Kirchner for 4 years, hardly seems fair ;) .

Welsh 15 was pretty amazing, you guys had Bryne, Halfpenny now this lad, and we've had Kirchner for 4 years, hardly seems fair ;) .

Well you managed to ship Kirchner and the Bok U20's FB looked handy so not to bad.

Yeah, sorry about that. Unfortunately the Welsh Fly Half factory was shut down by 'Elf'n'Safety', so we've had to switch production to fullbacks ;)

Have to say the SA wingers definitely looked like 'raw talent', with pace to burn. Hope they don't become out and out 7's players, and we get to see more of the on the international scene.

WP can do with an extra wing now that Habana is moving on. We have Aplon and Kolbe out wide on the books and if we can sign Senatla... nothing will happen because we have JdV and De Allende in the centers with AC as head coach.

Between Cowan-Dickie and Jack Clifford for me.

Edit. For those who haven't seen the Wales games, check out this clip of Jordan Williams' best moments:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good first half by the lads there, hopefully they take advantage of the extra man.

Cowan-Dickie, Nowel, Watson and Clifford.

Nowell is already semi-established as a premiership player.

Tale of two halves so far...

Last edited:
England showed there strength in that second half, well done.

Well played Wales, unlucky lads.

Not much to choose between the first XV's, if anything Wales a bit stronger. That England bench was so much stronger though.
Congratulations England, was a great game.

Thought we'd done enough in that first half. I thought the Welsh backrow were great in the first half, along with Sam Davies. But England really stepped up the physicality in the second half and Wales just couldn't cope. The 10min spell at the beginning of the second half when England held out was crucial.

Congratulations England. The Welsh boys should be proud of their efforts though. Looking forward to seeing how some of them can impact the Welsh game at senior level.

Latest posts