• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2013 Junior World Championship

USA u20 have 2 warmup matches against Canada u20 starting tomorrow. Here is the 23:

Interestingly both 10s could be Irish. Stephen O'Leary from Munster is in the Canadian squad. Bourke played for an Ireland U18 side a few times from what I can remember. Never heard of Kearns though.

Last year's tournament was fantastic. Many wonderful moments: Wales defeating New Zealand in the pool stage, Ireland defeating South Africa in their first match, Argentina topping pool C by defeating France, Australia and Scotland. South Africa defeating New Zealand in the final with more than 33.000 people in the Newlands Stadium.

I'm really looking forward to this year's tournament. I'm just a little bit surprised at the venue choices made by France. All three host cities are relatively close together, halfway between Paris and the south of the country, on the west coast. Nowhere near the rugby heartlands of the south or Paris.

I also find it strange that the 2015 edition of this tournament will be hosted in Italy while they might not even be back in the top division by then. I'd like to see this tournament hosted in Ireland for some reason.

Stuart Olding and Robbie Henshaw now confirmed to not be playing in this as they'll be in America.

Final Ireland squad:

Prop:Adam Boland (Lansdowne/Connacht)
Prop:Edward Byrne (UCD /Leinster)
Prop:peter Dooley (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Prop:Ryan Furniss (Worcester/Exile)
Prop:Christopher Taylor (Malone/Ulster)
Hooker:Bryan Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
Hooker:George McGuigan (Newcastle Falcons/Exile)
Lock:John Donnan (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
Lock:Gavin Thornbury (UCD/Leinster)
Lock:Sean McCarthy (Shannon/Munster)
Backrow:peadar Timmins (UCD/Leinster)
Backrow:Conor Joyce (Malone/Ulster)
Backrow:Josh Van Der Flier (UCD/Leinster)
Backrow: Daniel Leavy (UCD /Leinster)
Backrow:Ryan Murphy (Dolphin/Munster)
Backrow:Jack O'Donoghue (UL Bohemians/Munster)
Scrumhalf:Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) Captain
Scrumhalf: David Shanahan (Clontarf/Leinster)
Outhalf:Steve Crosbie (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
Centre:Thomas Daly (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Centre:Thomas Farrell (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Centre:Rory Scannell (Dolphin/Munster)
Wing: David Panther (Corinthians/Connacht)
Wing:Mark Roche (Lansdowne/Connacht)
Wing:Adam Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
Wing:Rory Scholes (Belfast Harlequins /Ulster)
Fullback: Darren Sweetnam (UCC/Munster)
Fullback: Darragh Leader (Galwegians/Connacht)

No thread dedicated to JWRT in Chile though? ((

Regarding JWRC - I've got great expectations on this one. So fascinating to find out the resources at the disposal of the strongest teams)))

SA Under-20 squad:

Andrew Beerwinkel - Blue Bulls - Prop
Marne Coetzee - KwaZulu-Natal - Prop
Aidon Davis - EP Kings - Number 8
Luan de Bruin - Free State - Prop
Jacques du Plessis - Blue Bulls - Lock
Robert du Preez - KwaZulu-Natal - Flyhalf
Ockert du Toit - Free State - Hooker
Justin Geduld - SARU contracted - Centre
Irne Herbst - Blue Bulls - Lock
Jannes Kirsten - Blue Bulls - Lock
Cheslin Kolbe - Western Province - Fullback
Sylvian Mahuza - Leopards - Fullback
Devon Martinus - Golden Lions - Prop
Luther Obi - Leopards - Wing
Sergeal Petersen - EP Kings - Wing
Handre Pollard - Blue Bulls - Flyhalf
Seabelo Senatla - SARU contracted - Wing
Jan Serfontein - Blue Bulls - Centre

Sithembiso Sithole - Western Province - Prop
Kwagga Smith - Golden Lions - Flank
Roelof Smit - Blue Bulls - Flank
Ruan Steenkamp - Blue Bulls - Flank
Dries Swanepoel - Blue Bulls - Centre

Stefan Ungerer - KwaZulu-Natal - Scrumhalf
Hanco Venter - KwaZulu-Natal - Scrumhalf
Dennis Visser - Blue Bulls - Lock
Michael Willemse - Western Province - Hooker
Percy Williams - Golden Lions - Scrumhalf

Seems the only players I know anything about this year are all backs while last year I only knew forwards. Real Pity Serfontein is going to be left out (to focus on his SR game with the Bulls) as with the few players I know we could have had a very dangerous backlin; 10Pollard, 11Peterson, 12Serfontein, 13Swanepoel, 14Geduld, 15Kolbe have some serious pace and with direction, experience and 'groundedness' from Pollard/Serfontein... would have been nice to see. I'm assuming our forwards are pretty solid with some class here and there as usual?

Seems the only players I know anything about this year are all backs while last year I only knew forwards. Real Pity Serfontein is going to be left out (to focus on his SR game with the Bulls) as with the few players I know we could have had a very dangerous backlin; 10Pollard, 11Peterson, 12Serfontein, 13Swanepoel, 14Geduld, 15Kolbe have some serious pace and with direction, experience and 'groundedness' from Pollard/Serfontein... would have been nice to see. I'm assuming our forwards are pretty solid with some class here and there as usual?

Pollard will move to 12 with his understudy getting a spot at 10. Sergeal is injured, and might not be available for the tournament.

Jan Serfontein, didn't pull out because of the Bulls and SR. He pulled out because HM asked him to, as it seems that he will be part of the Senior Bok Squad...

Don't blame the Bulls this time... it's not their fault they gave him the chance he deserved...

Pollard will move to 12 with his understudy getting a spot at 10. Sergeal is injured, and might not be available for the tournament.

Jan Serfontein, didn't pull out because of the Bulls and SR. He pulled out because HM asked him to, as it seems that he will be part of the Senior Bok Squad...

Don't blame the Bulls this time... it's not their fault they gave him the chance he deserved...
Isn't HM and the Bulls the same thing LOL! Only kidding, Hein. Damn, I thought Petersen was on the mend and set to be ready. Hope he still makes it. I quite like the idea of Pollard at 12 TBH; he certainly has the size and defense to survive at 12 and possibly even flourish at u20 level and the extra kicking/passing option of a 10/12 is something we havn't seen in a Bok shirt for a long time. Do you really think Serfontein is ready for test rugby? He is certainly a good prospect but I am not quite convinced yet. His defense that looked very solid at u20 level has looked just a little suspect to me in SR nevermind test rugby. That said if he does get some time I won't be complaining.

Isn't HM and the Bulls the same thing LOL! Only kidding, Hein. Damn, I thought Petersen was on the mend and set to be ready. Hope he still makes it. I quite like the idea of Pollard at 12 TBH; he certainly has the size and defense to survive at 12 and possibly even flourish at u20 level and the extra kicking/passing option of a 10/12 is something we havn't seen in a Bok shirt for a long time. Do you really think Serfontein is ready for test rugby? He is certainly a good prospect but I am not quite convinced yet. His defense that looked very solid at u20 level has looked just a little suspect to me in SR nevermind test rugby. That said if he does get some time I won't be complaining.

Welcome back by the Way!!

Look at the opposition, Italy, Scotland and Samoa. This is the best type of opposition to test out some new players and develop some youngsters... Why not give Jan a go??

Welcome back by the Way!!

Look at the opposition, Italy, Scotland and Samoa. This is the best type of opposition to test out some new players and develop some youngsters... Why not give Jan a go??
Yeah, been gone a while; had a baby. Jan just might be the man for the job, yeah. Throwing him into relatively 'calm' test waters might be just the thing even if the water is deep I agree. I guess for me its more a question of WHO to try at centre rather than IF we should play someone new. Considering JdV is captain (unless I am mistaken of course) and both JdJ and Frans Steyn are injured (I like the other prospect more in any case mind you) that leaves one new centre spot (forgot Taute is both injured and should be considered at 15 exclusively in any case) for one of Serfontein, Ebersohn or Engelbrecht.. that's a tough call.

Yeah, been gone a while; had a baby. Jan just might be the man for the job, yeah. Throwing him into relatively 'calm' test waters might be just the thing even if the water is deep I agree. I guess for me its more a question of WHO to try at centre rather than IF we should play someone new. Considering JdV is captain (unless I am mistaken of course) and both JdJ and Frans Steyn are injured (I like the other prospect more in any case mind you) that leaves one new centre spot (forgot Taute is both injured and should be considered at 15 exclusively in any case) for one of Serfontein, Ebersohn or Engelbrecht.. that's a tough call.

I think both Ebersohn and Jan will get the nod and might even pair up. With the amount of injuries on wing, JJ and Jean might even play there with Willie at fullback.

But this is for another thread.

As for the Babyboks, they leave tomorrow to start off their defence and I have a strong feeling that they will be the team to beat.

15 - Rory Scannell (Dolphin/Munster)
14 - Adam Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
13 - Thomas Farrell (Lansdowne/Leinster)
12 - Thomas Daly (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Rory Scholes (Belfast Harlequins /Ulster)
10 - Steve Crosbie (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
9 - Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) Captain
1 - Peter Dooley (Lansdowne/Leinster)
2 - George McGuigan (Newcastle Falcons/Exile)
3 - Adam Boland (Lansdowne/Connacht)
4 – Peadar Timmins (UCD/Leinster)
5- John Donnan (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
6 – Conor Joyce (Malone/Ulster)
7 – Josh Van Der Flier (UCD/Leinster)
8 - Ryan Murphy (Dolphin/Munster)

Replacements:
16- Bryan Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
17- Edward Byrne (UCD /Leinster)
18 - Ryan Furniss (Worcester/Exile)
19- Sean McCarthy (Shannon/Munster)
20- Daniel Leavy (UCD /Leinster)
21 - David Shanahan (Clontarf/Leinster)
22- Mark Roche (Lansdowne/Connacht)
23- Darragh Leader (Galwegians/Connacht)

Irelands team.

Players to watch out for A. Bynre, McGrath, Dooley, Daly and Van Der Flier.

Not overly optimistic very light pack though there are good mobile players to bring on in the Byrne's and Leavy. Can't understand the persistance with McGuigan.

So it starts tomorrow evening!! Can't wait to see the Boks start off!

I'm finishing exams tomorrow morning, so I'll be sitting in front of the tv, with a beer and Biltong watching the BabyBoks take on the USA.

Anyone know if the Wales v Samoa game is televised tomorrow? Sky seem to be showing the England v France and Ireland v Aus games. IRB has S4C as a broadcaster, but there doesn't appear to be anything.

SA vs USA 15 Cheslin Kolbe (WP), 14 Luther Obi (Leopards), 13 Justin Geduld (SARU contracted), 12 Handré Pollard (Blue Bulls), 11 Seabelo Senatla (SARU contracted), 10 Robert du Preez (Sharks), 9 Stefan Ungerer (Sharks), 8 Ruan Steenkamp (Blue Bulls, captain), 7 Jacques du Plessis (Blue Bulls), 6 Roelof Smit (Blue Bulls), 5 Dennis Visser (Blue Bulls), 4 Irné Herbst (Blue Bulls), 3 Luan de Bruin (Cheetahs), 2 Jacques du Toit (Cheetahs), 1 Andrew Beerwinkel (Blue Bulls)

Substitutes: 16 Michael Willemse (WP), 17 Sti Sithole (WP), 18 Aidon Davis (Kings), 19 Kwagga Smith (Lions), 20 Hanco Venter (Sharks), 21 Dries Swanepoel (Blue Bulls), 22 Jesse Kriel (Sharks), 23 Marné Coetzee (Blue Bulls) . That's a very dangerous backline but I can't help but think how dangerous it could have been with 13 Serfontein and 14Petersen. Can't wait for tonight.

Latest posts