• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2013 Junior World Championship

Ja, Senatla was always going to be a handful for the defenders. Such a huge pity Petersen couldn't be on the other wing. Anyway I hope our forwards can give the backs the platform they enjoyed this game or at least something near it as lets be honest this was no contest and England are always extremely tough at u20 level.

Just heard Fiji had 11 men at one stage against New Zealand. Ridiculous!

USA barely scraped by last year to promote, and while they have been preparing for a couple of weeks here, it's not much. They only had 1 scrimmage, against elite senior side Life. While I certainly though the USA was at least 65 point underdogs, was not expecting 97-0. Also feel like it might not be the strongest side we could put together, with a lot of elite college stuff going on here recently.

Last edited:
By the way, Italy and Canada will play each other in the final of the 2013 Junior World Trophy to determine who gets promoted to the Championship for 2014.

By the way, Italy and Canada will play each other in the final of the 2013 Junior World Trophy to determine who gets promoted to the Championship for 2014.
Italy's pool was way too easy. Chile finished 2nd on pool A (I suppose they were seeded because of being the hosts), but I think they are worse than any of the teams in pool B (Uruguay finished last). Italy "should" win it, but they haven't been tested at all yet.

Too thick to work this out are you? Pretty simple really.

look here uh....excited dick. I'm just asking a question I have no way of knowing the answer to for sure being in my position, and this is a...forum ? i.e. questions/debate so you know, just, like...suck my penis.
Thank you for cooperating...no really, appreciate it. ;)

It's funny because the only dumb thing going on here is your accusing me of being "thick". Knowledge and intelligence are two perfectly distinct things intrinsically; but in your small mind you'd throw yourself at anything you can instill your wasteful malice into because you're a small insecure little teddy bear :p

big ginger 8 , Peat: thanks for being regular people and your replies !

It seems only NZ and SA (and then Australia) take it as seriously as England, why the hell don't other nations follow ?! I think everybody just looks at the demographics factor for England, but as you've stated Peat there's a difference in fundamental aspects at the root; like England understand the importance of passing on the culture to the youngsters, when other big rugby nations like France would overlook that scope.

I think plenty of nations take it seriously. Wales and Ireland take it very seriously, and both have done very well in recent years (Ireland in the U20 6 nations, Wales in that and the JWC)

Looking historically, more of the Welsh and Irish players make the step-up to international rugby, quicker than their English counterparts. Quite a few of the Welsh U21 squad from 2008 are now regulars in the Welsh squad including Warburton, Lydiate, Tipuric, Biggar, Davies, Halfpenny.

The simple fact is that England have more players to choose from, who are better conditioned. They simply overpower Wales and Ireland most of the time.

Right now I'd argue about the speed of that step-up dull - not with you boys so much, Gatland is extremely quick to promote players, but Ireland have been as conservative as a redneck preacher in recent years. If you take England's 2011 team (the most recent good one) then Vunipola, Buchanan, Thomas, Launchbury and Kvesic are all already internationally involved from the pack; Yarde, Wade, Joseph and Ford in the backs. Think Ben Spencer might have been in on that one too, he's had some Saxons games too. And Tuilagi should have been played in that age group. Mindyou, Ireland have been promoting very rapidly recently, but thats due a) a weakness in the national team b) Ulster taking a bunch of kids and playing them really early.

But anyway. I totally agree that Wales and Ireland take it seriously - but mo' money and mo' players tell.

* Why are the English youngsters so good usually (looking at this tournament's historical record, and U20 6N) ?
* And why doesn't the standard England team dominate proportionally ??..
* Steroids
* Turning stupid because of steroids

Just going through Ireland's u20's from 09-now.

09-10: Zebo and Ruddock have been capped but Annet, Conway, Cooney, Griffen, Heaney, Macken, Murphy, O'Hallorn, Reid and Ryan are with the Emerging Squad. While McSharry and Spence (R.I.P.) trained with the full squad. A number of those also played Wolfhounds.

10-11: Henderson, Marshall, Gilroy and Jackson are all capped. On top of a number of players from the squad from the year before Moore is in the Emerging squad. Marmion is also in line to be capped on the North America tour.

11-12: Olding is on the N.A. tour. A number of players from the year before were also in the squad.

Just going through Ireland's u20's from 09-now.

09-10: Zebo and Ruddock have been capped but Annet, Conway, Cooney, Griffen, Heaney, Macken, Murphy, O'Hallorn, Reid and Ryan are with the Emerging Squad. While McSharry and Spence (R.I.P.) trained with the full squad. A number of those also played Wolfhounds.

10-11: Henderson, Marshall, Gilroy and Jackson are all capped. On top of a number of players from the squad from the year before Moore is in the Emerging squad. Marmion is also in line to be capped on the North America tour.

11-12: Olding is on the N.A. tour. A number of players from the year before were also in the squad.

Proves Peat's point! It's always handy to have one of the provinces in a tranition period, I think we'll see lot of young Munster lads getting a shot in the next 2-3 years.

Proves Peat's point! It's always handy to have one of the provinces in a tranition period, I think we'll see lot of young Munster lads getting a shot in the next 2-3 years.

I wasn't trying to disprove him!

One of the things that helps the English as well is more teams so you don't get the situation you get at the provinces. The Welsh exodus will probably aid the youth in Wales as well. Though there is the argument that our older talent can help nurture the younger guys but I'm not sure how much I believe that.

One of the things that helps the English as well is more teams so you don't get the situation you get at the provinces. The Welsh exodus will probably aid the youth in Wales as well. Though there is the argument that our older talent can help nurture the younger guys but I'm not sure how much I believe that.

I never said you were.....?

Last edited:

Very true, can't believe I forgot it. Even Championship rugby is, as far as I can tell, a step above what most Welsh and Irish youngsters are getting at that age.

As for older talent nurturing younger guys - it does work, but there needs to be a balance, because nurturing needs gametime as well. But you need older guys because getting hammered every week develops very little. The Welsh exodus will give the youngsters there an opportunity, but whether it will be a good one, time will tell...

Ireland team vs Fiji.

15 - Darragh Leader (Galwegians/Connacht)
14 - Darren Sweetnam (UCC/Munster)
13 - Mark Roche (Lansdowne/Connacht)
12 - Tom Daly (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Rory Scholes (Belfast Harlequins /Ulster)
10 - Steve Crosbie (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
9 - David Shanahan (Clontarf/Leinster)
1 - Edward Byrne (UCD /Leinster)
2 - Bryan Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
3 - Christopher Taylor (Malone/Ulster)
4 - Gavin Thornbury (UCD/Leinster)
5- Sean McCarthy (Shannon/Munster)
6 - Conor Joyce (Malone/Ulster)(Captain)
7 - Daniel Leavy (UCD /Leinster)
8 - Jack O'Donoghue (UL Bohemians/Munster)

16 - George McGuigan (Newcastle Falcons/Exile)
17- Peter Dooley (Lansdowne/Leinster)
18 - Ryan Furniss (Worcester/Exile)
19- John Donnan (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
20- Josh Van Der Flier (UCD/Leinster)
21 - Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster)
22- Rory Scannell (Dolphin/Munster)
23- David Panter (Corinthians/Connacht)

Still a strong enough team look forward to seeing how the Byrnes do.

Im after watching highlights of Argentina's game with Scotland? Do they know how to play running rugby or what. Practically all their trys were scored from at least 30 metres out. Seriously entertaining stuff, and they hammered a Scotland team that managed to beat Ireland. Last year they managed to beat Australia and France in the pool stages. If this is they group of young players coming up, the future of Argentinian rugby looks bright

Latest posts