• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] Australia vs. South Africa in Brisbane (07/09/2013)

Springbok Team:

1. Beast Mtawarira
2. Bismarck Du Plessis
3. Jannie Du Plessis
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Flip van der Merwe
6. Francois Louw
7. Willem Alberts
8. Duane Vermeulen

9. Ruan Pienaar
10. Morne Steyn
11. Bryan Habana
12. Jean De Villiers (c)
13. JJ Engelbrecht
14. Willie Le Roux
15. Zane Kirchner

16. Adriaan Strauss
17. Guthro Steenkamp
18. Coenie Oosthuizen
19. Juandre Kruger
20. Siya Kolisi
21. Jano Vermaak
22. Pat Lambie
23. Jan Serfontein

So 3 changes to the team.

Habana back to his Blindside wing spot. Willie on the other Wing with Kirchner at fullback.

Well at least our back 3 are diverse...

HM playing it safe with keeping Lambie on the bench in case Morne gets injured...

Why Adriaan Strauss is not from the beginning? He did so well against us..

Bismarck du Plessis deserves a start. He has always been our no. 1 hooker and was eased back into Test rugby after suffering a serious knee injury last year.

Bismarck is probably the best hooker in the world Strauss is in my eyes a very capable deputy but not at the level of Bismarck.

interesting how everybody's got South Africa, and some have em by a mile too.
Even Planet Rugby, who never take any risks whatsoever, are actually predicting the away team to win.

I've got the Wallabies. They've got a big edge over the Boks at home, more than the other two RC teams for some reason...
The Boks have a forwards advantage, but Australia will answer the call at the breakdown. They have some fine backs, but so do SA...
I'm sure it's been mentioned a lot before, but O'Connor at 11 ??....and Quade starting ??....and who's kicking penalties then for Aus ? Cooper ?! :s

interesting how everybody's got South Africa, and some have em by a mile too.
Even Planet Rugby, who never take any risks whatsoever, are actually predicting the away team to win.

I've got the Wallabies. They've got a big edge over the Boks at home, more than the other two RC teams for some reason...
The Boks have a forwards advantage, but Australia will answer the call at the breakdown. They have some fine backs, but so do SA...
I'm sure it's been mentioned a lot before, but O'Connor at 11 ??....and Quade starting ??....and who's kicking penalties then for Aus ? Cooper ?! :s

I suspect Christian Leali'ifano will kick at goal... As has been the case the last few matches when Toomua was fly half.

I can see why Ewen went for Quade, especially vs. the Boks as we tend to be flatfooted at times. But if Aus doesn't front up to the forwards challenge, then the bookies are right in picking the Boks.

If the Aussies can get parity up front they have a chance to win it using a superior backline. Cooper is probably the man to do that Toomua was sometimes guilty of not moving it at the right times. Quade will probably do that too however under different conditions.

Having said that the SA backs have been considerably better this year with JDV back on form with JJ being a nice foil to him in the centers. Out wide you have Habana try scoring machine and Wille le Roux who's been excellent all year, and well Kirchner being the one bad call out wide. problem being moving it that way but thats up to the coach to utilities the talent he has.

I suspect Christian Leali'ifano will kick at goal... As has been the case the last few matches when Toomua was fly half.

I can see why Ewen went for Quade, especially vs. the Boks as we tend to be flatfooted at times. But if Aus doesn't front up to the forwards challenge, then the bookies are right in picking the Boks.

yes, SA has found a strong pack again...but Australia's come a long way, and against the Lions didn't get massively raped as I thought, even managed to win a few essential scrums...
I still honestly see a Wallaby win here, with no disrespect to the Boks. I see the Boks, their qualities and all, but I've got the Wallabies. They've got enough to cover up some holes and make up for the match-ups they'll lose against SA, and I see them doing just that at home.

yes, SA has found a strong pack again...but Australia's come a long way, and against the Lions didn't get massively raped as I thought, even managed to win a few essential scrums...
I still honestly see a Wallaby win here, with no disrespect to the Boks. I see the Boks, their qualities and all, but I've got the Wallabies. They've got enough to cover up some holes and make up for the match-ups they'll lose against SA, and I see them doing just that at home.

Ive got the Aussies by 10-15, they always get underrated on this site thats for sure. Pity the TAB doesn't rate them so badly.

Look at that backline its far too slick for the Boks especially in Queensland.
The aussie pack is underrated a bit too, they are more mobile than the Boks and they will win their own lineout, its just scrum time they may be slighly inferior.

Horwill is a bit of a loss probably more for leadership than anything, Douglas has a bit more grunt than him any way.

never understood the continued selection of Zane Kirchner

I expected SA t be the main threat to the All Blacks but they don't seem to travel well or get selections right. Aussie to win this one.

Then... Kane Douglas in, James Horwill out???

Ive got the Aussies by 10-15, they always get underrated on this site thats for sure. Pity the TAB doesn't rate them so badly.

Look at that backline its far too slick for the Boks especially in Queensland.
The aussie pack is underrated a bit too, they are more mobile than the Boks and they will win their own lineout, its just scrum time they may be slighly inferior.

Horwill is a bit of a loss probably more for leadership than anything, Douglas has a bit more grunt than him any way.

agree with all that, yeh...that's my position basically. It may be tighter than 10-15, but I see the Wallabies protecting their field here...
and yes, I don't think we're in for an 80min demolition of the Aussie scrum at all. Like I said, they've shown they can hang against even a hand-picked scrum from the Lions this summer.

agree with all that, yeh...that's my position basically. It may be tighter than 10-15, but I see the Wallabies protecting their field here...
and yes, I don't think we're in for an 80min demolition of the Aussie scrum at all. Like I said, they've shown they can hang against even a hand-picked scrum from the Lions this summer.

They didn't play with the New Scrum Law during the B&I Lions tour... Just remember that...

They didn't play with the New Scrum Law during the B&I Lions tour... Just remember that...

right. Well I'm not sure what influence that'll have tomorrow though...I'd imagine it advantages the Boks, but still, we're not seeing a penalty try tomorrow or the Wallabies pushed back 20m...I THINK, if it happens it happens, I'm not a prophet, I just don't see it happening based on what I've seen from both scrums this past summer and attempting to anticipate.

Pretty **** crowd at Suncorp.

EDIT: Never mind, looks like it's filled up a fair bit

Last edited:
Without Jesse Mogg, Aussies have a good chance...

Willem Alberts: This is not volleyball!!!

Thoroughly deserved yellow no matter what the aussie commentators are saying!!

Last edited:

Latest posts