• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 6 Nations: Scotland vs France (Round 4)

Scotland need to improve from last week.

Lets see if SJ makes some more bonehead selections. Richie Gray should stay, and Dave Denton needs back in. Also still want Kelly Brown brought back in.

this game in Scotland will give our key players a good break Picamoles Doussain Fofana all need a break. Fofana is out for the rest of the tournament. Club duties is calling next weekend anyway. Enough of these 6N lark <_<. There was some awesome games over the weekend SF vs Oyonnax was a craker. Castres vs Toulouse had fans in A&E (heart attacks mostly), Clermont Montpellier with 14 men Clermont running 42 pts agst a strong Montpellier side...oops I disgress. Methinks the 6N games PALE in comparison..Ok i disgress.

Bring in Fickou. Parra should be back barring a discipline decision after his red card (he was only rubbing his nose in Ranger's rasta head, he's an all black he can take it) he is a class act and we need leaders. Let's give Fickou a run.

And come to think of it I was impressed by Thomas Ramos only 18 y o for his first game with Toulouse in a pressure cooker of a derby agst Castres, scored his first try, another prospect that Guy Noves is not afraid to start...one day all these foreigners will be forced to go home but not until we sucked them dry...

Last edited:
Good news:
- there's a semblance but just only almost the shadow of a semblance of something that sorta of looks like authority from Saint-André. More on this in the bad news.
- Parra is back. That means goal-kicking up to Tier 1 standards, and maybe a more fluid game...
- Rabah Slimani back after completing his two week suspension (for merely being a man and not letting some Italian fkhead mess with his head....*literally*).
- Bernard Le Roux back from his K.O. Will bring that bulk we really need at the flank, but he'll have to look out, he was often borderline in the penalty last time against Italy...has that tendency.
- Center Rémi Lamerat (Castres, 24yo) finally gets a chance in Bleus. A semi-worthy replacement for Fofana in potential, hopefully he feels comfortable immediately. Not sure if he starts or off the b.

Now the bad:
- PSA tries to act like Gatland and forbid his players from playing. Picamoles had a fine game individually (despite being defended really well). And this is completely inconsistent as Papé had the worst attitude on the field easily. Throws the ball into the crowd and yells at youngster and club teammate Bonneval, commits stupid fouls during the game, talks to the ref...and as if this "sanction" was going to wake up les Bleus, as if there was a true game plan they would now return to and start playing like a great team. It's still all on PSA.
- We've got two poached Saffas at flanker now. Why the hell would he call back another flanker if we've got Diarra, or even Bruni on the bench waiting just for that ?! So two Springcoqs...
- Of course Fofana is out. And Nyanga's confirmed too now. Awesome.

your post only serves to illustrate what every french fan can see : there is NO SHORTAGE of talented players at PSA's disposal. More than he needs to put together a competitive group of 30. And i dont care about all these foreigners. Because the french intl have to go past them and prove themselves even more so. And many are doing it. Look at Plisson vs Steyn in SF. No more excuses for you my Philippe...

Lamerat selected anyways. Fickou starting against Scotland is a fine choice, he's good enough and isn't quite a complete rookie anymore now. And it's great for him to start a game. But Ireland are sound on defense and we really needed all the Fofana we can get since our other first choice center, Mr. Fritz (a good "couillu"), is down AS WELL...
Let's see if Lamerat starts or not, if not, let's see what he gives us off the bench. Let's hope he plays at all !...

I've never seen anything pleasing at int'l level from Damien Chouly and he just doesn't have the roughness you need in today's Rugby to compete with other no.8's. Faletau, Vunipola, Vermeulen, Denton...and he's nowhere as skilled as a Sergio Parisse (and forget Kieran Read), so his style has always been a bit ambiguous for me. He's big, but not huge...he's got some precision but he's not exactly a technician.
Anyways, another chance for him to prove his quality, it's alright we rest Picamoles but ffs a bit of stable game plan France !!!!!!..

I like our best players are out; Guitoune, Fritz, Fofana, Nyanga, Dusautoir, Picamoles, FTD; so we can see more of a team playing rather than talented separate entities taking over, by necessity we'll need a lot more solidarity and chemistry...but will it happen, though ???..

Scotland need to improve from last week.

Lets see if SJ makes some more bonehead selections. Richie Gray should stay, and Dave Denton needs back in. Also still want Kelly Brown brought back in.

Johnson will never lose face by bringing Kelly Brown back in, Denton maybe, just maybe but Browns gotta be gone for the duration now.

RE: Picamoles, fair play to PSA gotta have principles and it sets a good marker for the squad in regards to dsicipline.

JeremyGuscott had the following to say about France, and for the first time in my life, I completely agree with him.

I sat in the Stade de France during the 30-10 win over Italy two weeks ago and I was gobsmacked at France's tactics. It was a case of 'let the forwards stick it up their jumpers and try to bully and smash their way through'. It was lacklustre and unimaginative in every single way.
The French attacking line was just so flat against Italy and so laboured as they lost 27-6 to Wales. So laboured, in fact, that the couple of scoring opportunities they had, they couldn't finish.
When Mathieu Bastareaud went through George North and got to within two yards of the Welsh try-line, he could have slipped the ball but didn't. When he finally got the ball to Hugo Bonneval, he couldn't take the catch.

Ewis, this is the main reason why you are met with resentment when you talk about England playing "muscle-ball". It's because in the current climate those descriptions are more applicable to France than England.
For me, the occasional individual brilliance in counter attacking and broken play is saving French blushes and covering up for the really unimaginative attacking game. In structured attacking play, France look clueless.

Above, you've said that France have already had their 80min fart of a game, and somewhere else you said you were satisfied with France on the whole. I don't see how you can think that. France have been dire for the vast majority of the tournament and it was extremely predictable that they would lose in Paris.

how come that every time morgan parra returns for france hes always up against scotland first im sure it was the same 2 years ago

JeremyGuscott had the following to say about France, and for the first time in my life, I completely agree with him.

I sat in the Stade de France during the 30-10 win over Italy two weeks ago and I was gobsmacked at France's tactics. It was a case of 'let the forwards stick it up their jumpers and try to bully and smash their way through'. It was lacklustre and unimaginative in every single way.
The French attacking line was just so flat against Italy and so laboured as they lost 27-6 to Wales. So laboured, in fact, that the couple of scoring opportunities they had, they couldn't finish.
When Mathieu Bastareaud went through George North and got to within two yards of the Welsh try-line, he could have slipped the ball but didn't. When he finally got the ball to Hugo Bonneval, he couldn't take the catch.

Ewis, this is the main reason why you are met with resentment when you talk about England playing "muscle-ball". It's because in the current climate those descriptions are more applicable to France than England.
For me, the occasional individual brilliance in counter attacking and broken play is saving French blushes and covering up for the really unimaginative attacking game. In structured attacking play, France look clueless.

Above, you've said that France have already had their 80min fart of a game, and somewhere else you said you were satisfied with France on the whole. I don't see how you can think that. France have been dire for the vast majority of the tournament and it was extremely predictable that they would lose in Paris.

You're confusing many things. Let me clear out the points:

- I've never said France looked great in the first two games. I said I loved the tries a) we scored to beat England (one we couldn't have last year) and b) against Italy. We're impressive off broken play, although that's basically all we can manage atm because we're a bunch of highly talented mercenaries in a team with a terrible, terrible coaching staff and almost no gameplan/consistency/common culture.
- We beat England while still "playing bad". England are really a good team atm, kept saying this all year (2014) long. They're well established, young and hungry, consistent, good players, a fantastic coach. You don't beat that England side by being miserable, and though France fell asleep during the 30th-to-70th minute, our auto-pilot was good enough and added to our game vs Italy, it was *RELATIVELY* satisfying to watch, all the while keeping in mind I wanted to see a lot of improvement to come with each game.

- France playing mediocre Rugby, per se, doesn't change anything to the fact England play muscle ball. It's like you're all ashamed of that label although it's as limpid as sea water at some Mauritian resort. English fans take great offense to that each time and as I was 'challenged' to describe what England do on some thread recently, I laid it down and NOBODY had anything to say about it. No one contested it.
It's like this dirty little secret the English have that they don't want to see the reality as it is. I'm admitting France are a bunch of mercenaries with a shhit coach and little imagination, but that doesn't change the fact that England are forward-based with strong backs who break tackles and add to the high work rate, force-led assault that is the English attack.

And France aren't "clueless" in structured attacking play. That's exactly what they used to beat England at the last second, clutch and structured, precision, everything. And some other tries we didn't score were off fine movements with creativity, but we clearly still lack finishing.

how come that every time morgan parra returns for france hes always up against scotland first im sure it was the same 2 years ago

It's a world wide conspiracy. We hoped nobody would notice....but you..........you.............
you just had to open that big, wide trap of yours, didn't you Scotty boy ?....

Last edited:
It's a world wide conspiracy. We hoped nobody would notice....but you..........you.............
you just had to open that big, big trap of yours, didn't you Scotty boy ?....
yep it was the only hope, i had to or were screwed

big question at the moment. At midfield: we've got Bastareaud, Fickou and newly Rémi Lamerat.

I say the logical choice is we start Basta and Fickou they're both used to the, ahem, "gameplan". Fickou's defense will be tested, the youngster needs some more meat on those bones.
Lamerat (1m84, 104kg) a heavy-weight type center. Excited to see him in bleus.

SUCKS we don't get to see another Castres member Diarra at the flank. Our third row is clearly our weakest section right now...all those injuries and almost no stability from match to match.

- France playing mediocre Rugby, per se, doesn't change anything to the fact England play muscle ball. It's like you're all ashamed of that label although it's as limpid as sea water at some Mauritian resort. English fans take great offense to that each time and as I was 'challenged' to describe what England do on some thread recently, I laid it down and NOBODY had anything to say about it. No one contested it.
It's like this dirty little secret the English have that they don't want to see the reality as it is. I'm admitting France are a bunch of mercenaries with a shhit coach and little imagination, but that doesn't change the fact that England are forward-based with strong backs who break tackles and add to the high work rate, force-led assault that is the English attack.

And France aren't "clueless" in structured attacking play. That's exactly what they used to beat England at the last second, clutch and structured, precision, everything. And some other tries we didn't score were off fine movements with creativity, but we clearly still lack finishing.

You talk so much crap here. Of all the tries England have score, 1 has been through any sort of muscle play. Most have come from the back and from running good lines. Also it wasn't structured play that beat England. Structured play resulted in 1 try and the same against Wales. What beat England was 2 pieces of individual brilliance combined in no small part with luck.

Also EVERYONE has said France look clueless in structured play. I can't think of a single pundit or analyst who has said otherwise or even not mentioned it.

Fact is you cling desperately to old stereotypes that are simply not true. Wales and Ireland play a MUCH more forward orientated game than we do. Italy and Scotland do so out of necessity due to having the grand total of **** all creativity, applies more to Scotland though. France don't seem to be playing any type of game and England are definitely playing a strong counter attacking game. Maybe you should WATCH the games rather than saying how you think they should have been played.

Also EVERYONE has said France look clueless in structured play. I can't think of a single pundit or analyst who has said otherwise or even not mentioned it.

Interesting you'd need the help of pundits to give wholeness to what you're saying ;)

But though France have been awful for the most part, they haven't looked "clueless" on attack the whole way. You see, I've actually watched all those games and have observed some interesting movements. One of which, I'll repeat as it is factual data, beat England in Paris some weeks ago. Clutch, precise, simple enough to be just efficient. 7points, game over.

parra back and fofana,picamoles and nyanga out. i can actually see scotland winning this one cause france this week were just awful, bad mistakes costing them tries, and wasting big try scoring opportunities.

BUT being honest scotland only beat italy by 1 point and by a drop goal at the last minute. but italy can be very good at the Stadio Olympico and scotland always receives a challenge when travelling to Rome and italy weren't playing badly either except from they're defence which weren't that good and scotlands defence isn't either. comparing to the last 6 nations games scotland now atleast has a better attacking ability which we have seemed to lost. and stuart hogg is more involved and im also happy taking turns at the 10 spots on certain points off the match i did think he did well at 10 at the lions tour so glad to see him there. a big problem with scotland now is that our scrums weren't up to scratch but since Scott Johnston realise that it was cause by moray low and took him off in the first half which im glad to see. duncan weir needs to understand when to pass and when not to. like the time were he could off passed it to Lamont who would have easily scored. but i could see what duncan weir was trying to pull off but we need to play the basic rugby. and do what we usually do and not the stuff were not use to doing.

so for us to beat the french, we are at murrayfield always an advantage to us but if scotland were to win we would have to. stay with the idea off Ross Ford on the bench or even out the squad would be a boost. start denton at 7 again i thought him at 7 against italy was a good move and have wilson at 6 and beattie at 8. sort the scrummaging a little touch. our line-outs were soo much better we even started steeling the italian line-outs (i did have a feeling jim hamiltion would do good in the game) and sort our defence out and we should be in for a win. but my predictions france will win by about 15+

this might be Fickou's true arrival in test level Rugby.
And hopefully the staff and team look at the Wales match and make seriously pertinent observations and correct the issues immediately. On the attack in particular....

Interesting you'd need the help of pundits to give wholeness to what you're saying ;)

But though France have been awful for the most part, they haven't looked "clueless" on attack the whole way. You see, I've actually watched all those games and have observed some interesting movements. One of which, I'll repeat as it is factual data, beat England in Paris some weeks ago. Clutch, precise, simple enough to be just efficient. 7points, game over.

I don't need pundits to back me up, it's as an example because very rarely do they all agree. France ARE clueless in attack and neither your denial nor the fact you beat England changes that. About the most interesting movements I can imagine you've seen coming from the French are those involving your bowels.

I don't need pundits to back me up, it's as an example because very rarely do they all agree. France ARE clueless in attack and neither your denial nor the fact you beat England changes that. About the most interesting movements I can imagine you've seen coming from the French are those involving your bowels.

oh ho ho ho...oh God that's bad....oh ho ho God that is just awful stuff, even for your standards. :lol: cracking up at the idea you're probably all proud on your desk chair there behind your keyboard with such a reply !
Ah, gotta love it ! I literally can't stop smiling right now ! :D

I'm feeling a Scotland win here . Plisson was awful last week against wales . Doussin oh my lord is he really the best non injured SH you have ? Bastereud brings nothing to the game and the few decent backs France have aren't getting the ball anyway because of the half backs and the forwards based game PSA plays . I can't see Frances scrum bullying Scotland's and both sets of back are poor . I just feel Scotland will narrowly win because they have less to lose ......

From my view last weekend it's like France tried to play set 10 man rugby without a decent half back in sight !
Basically 8 man rugby lol and even then the most passion picamoles showed was when he was applauding the referee for sin binning him

Last edited:
oh ho ho ho...oh God that's bad....oh ho ho God that is just awful stuff, even for your standards. :lol: cracking up at the idea you're probably all proud on your desk chair there behind your keyboard with such a reply !
Ah, gotta love it ! I literally can't stop smiling right now ! :D

Still better than anything you can produce. Now why don't you go back to your pet hobbies of admiring men with mass or just gneerally talking crap?

simply put.

If parra starts france will win, a lot of Frances tempo and shape comes from him.

but Eng lack any creativity in the backs. I've yet to see 12 and 13 make a clean break like Fofana can. They don't have the skills. In a tight game like agst Fra or Ire you do need players that can produce the off-the-cuff move that no one expects. Eng couldn't do that neither in Paris or agst Ireland. This is what wins tight game. Otherwise its just Robocopish rugby.

Latest posts