• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 6 Nations: Scotland vs France (Round 4)

How come France only play well at home?
Their performance was far from polished vs England, but it's 10x better than what they've produced on the road. Is it the crowd? The "not in our house" mentality?

How come France only play well at home?
Their performance was far from polished vs England, but it's 10x better than what they've produced on the road. Is it the crowd? The "not in our house" mentality?

I reckon the wine at half time never tastes the same as home, and the bus on the way to the stadium: driving on the wrong side

every now and then, bit like El Hierro or Global Warming, you hear chat among foreign pundits about a foreigner taking the job as national coach. Fact is no foreigner has ever had the balls to throw his hat in. Funny, but the foreigners, some of them very talented (Cotter at Clermont), who have successfuly coached french clubs know too well and stay away.

every now and then, bit like El Hierro or Global Warming, you hear chat among foreign pundits about a foreigner taking the job as national coach. Fact is no foreigner has ever had the balls to throw his hat in. Funny, but the foreigners, some of them very talented (Cotter at Clermont), who have successfuly coached french clubs know too well and stay away.

no offense to Scotland, but I think Cotter would like to coach France more than Scotland. Yes with France it's a huge headache and yadi yada, but Scotland is counting on him to make changes. Big, noticeable ones. He'd rather have France with all the depth they have, and he's been in France for a while, and he knows how the Top 14 works and its players.
It's just Scotland stepped up and said "we want you", and the FFR is stuck with fkn PSA and son.

So sorry for all the Scottish fans.

PSA to leave ? To be replaced by who ? From the two decent french coaches I can think of, one is married to Toulouse and the other one is already Italy's coach.
Strangely our performance was much worse than against Wales but we managed to win, I still don't know how.

Evil boys punished !

Great idea to "punish" players for playing badly during the previous match, we saw the consequence today...I had the feeling tht we were playing without forwards. The rare periods when we had the ball, the Scots were simply marching on the Frenchs and got the ball back. When by chance one of our backs had the ball he looked like a terrified rabbit facing a roaring lion.
Also, does someone know if a team has already been dominated in line out to such an extent ?

Seriously, you can see this only in France. Where else a coach punish professional players for being outrageously dominated by a better team ? Like if those guys were not able to draw themselves the consequences of their bad display and fix it ?
A guy like Picamoles is not the first one uber-disappointed by his own performance ?! And not able to improve ?

No brain

What becomes more and more visible with that french team is the total absence of a player able to take intelligent decisions. The lack of decent halves on that tournament is a real pain, Parra-Trinh-Duc is from my point of view the only possible choice. The team does not actually play as a team, and today that was blatantly obvious. The Scottish XV was facing 15 guys that seemed to vaguely know each other but had apparently no idea of what was expected from them. of course, one can argue that when you take randomly a set of players that are not used to play together, you can't expect anything else that a bit of individual talent.

That's what we got from Dulin, Huget and curiously Bastareaud in a more muscled but very efficient fashion though, The other players will certainly be "punished" by PSA given their less than mediocre performance, after all Scots would have won that match without a bad performance of their scorers. Considering that even if the result is favorable to France following a course of events that still escapes any form of logic, the global display is worse than the previous match, that would be unfair to not do it.

The first consequence would be that Ireland would face not a B, but a french C team, which means that they can already start to celebrate their victory in the Tournament for that year (a well deserved one)...

Once again I feel really sad for Scotland, that's not only a tragedy for them but also for France: the FFR will now consider that with 3 victories this year the team improved and thus PSA will stay...

Last edited:
And some Frenchmen say we play boring set-piece rugby ! Only scored an intercepted try in 2 games ! Especially with the backs they had available ! I think the attack coach isn't doing his job .....

no offense to Scotland, but I think Cotter would like to coach France more than Scotland. Yes with France it's a huge headache and yadi yada, but Scotland is counting on him to make changes. Big, noticeable ones. He'd rather have France with all the depth they have, and he's been in France for a while, and he knows how the Top 14 works and its players.
It's just Scotland stepped up and said "we want you", and the FFR is stuck with fkn PSA and son.

I seriously doubt Cotter ever wanted to coach Fra.
i said before in previous posts that if the clowns at FFR were in any way in touch with the reality of the game here i.e THE CLUBS and if they had any foresight, any clue about the national team, they would have targeted Cotter long ago and offered him a serious job in PSA staff. But hey, they would need a modicum of foresight with a sprinkling of imagination etc in order to do that, these people are totally deprived of either at any level..
Here again, there will be no shortage of future candidates, Landreau and Galthie are earning their stripes in Top14 and could develop with time as great coaches. Fabien Pelous is also doing a good job with the U20 and unlike Galthie is totally IN with the suits at FFR.
Now... when you know how POLITICAL the job is, will any of them want the job? that's another story...

And some Frenchmen say we play boring set-piece rugby ! Only scored an intercepted try in 2 games ! Especially with the backs they had available ! I think the attack coach isn't doing his job .....

ah ah i love it..you walked right into it..yes he is doing his job and Lagisquet is showing what an AWFUL backs coach he is and always was. You should ask our Basque friends. He is over coaching a back division that doesn't need him any more you need a bullet in the head...

ah ah i love it..you walked right into it..yes he is doing his job and Lagisquet is showing what an AWFUL backs coach he is and always was. You should ask our Basque friends. He is over coaching a back division that doesn't need him any more you need a bullet in the head...

Yep . They have backs of serious quality ! Just let the grow together and be flamboyant if need be . I think it's probably harder to make the French backs play like they are than play brilliantly ........

I have a bad feeling that England and Wales will draw tomorrow and France will somehow beat Ireland next Saturday and take the 6 Nations Championship.

well one doesn't disallow the other. England don't play the most inventive style, never have, and in fact they're doing much better this year. But France are in the worst shape they've ever been since becoming relevant, by far. France aren't "boring", they don't know how to play anymore. Big difference. England are actually playing their game, and efficiently. What we've seen on screen ? That's what they do. We just have no clue who we are atm.

I have a bad feeling that England and Wales will draw tomorrow and France will somehow beat Ireland next Saturday and take the 6 Nations Championship.

If France wins this tournament, it would most certainly be the funniest thing in 6N history. I thought England were way lackluster last year for a ***le winner (when I thought they'd win it), but this right here....this would be something of a sketch.

I seriously think I'm going to start focusing on the Top 14 a lot more from now on.

P.S.: bwahaha, France are actually second right now on the 6N table !!
..it should be mentioned that with this prestigious away win there, our points difference goes from a mere +1 to a whopping and intimidating +3. Look out Ireland, Wales and England !...

well one doesn't disallow the other. England don't play the most inventive style, never have, and in fact they're doing much better this year. But France are in the worst shape they've ever been since becoming relevant, by far. France aren't "boring", they don't know how to play anymore. Big difference. England are actually playing their game, and efficiently. What we've seen on screen ? That's what they do. We just have no clue who we are atm.

If France wins this tournament, it would most certainly be the funniest thing in 6N history. I thought England were way lackluster last year for a ***le winner (when I thought they'd win it), but this right here....this would be something of a sketch.

I seriously think I'm going to start focusing on the Top 14 a lot more from now on.

Even if France win next week it's hard to see them being champs. As you say their points difference isn't amazing and it's hard to see them hammer Ireland.

Even if France win next week it's hard to see them being champs. As you say their points difference isn't amazing and it's hard to see them hammer Ireland.

Obviously best case scenario England and Wales draw paving the way for France to steal a sneaky tiny win next week in Paris and winning the tournament!
2nd best case scenario Wales earn a hard win today in Twickenham but only win by 3points (good possibility), then France beat Ireland by a converted try and and win the tournament!
Worst case scenario England beat Wales today and we would need to put 3 or 4 tries past Ireland to win not going to happen!

After the amazing win yesterday in Scotland, PSA still has his job, if you are Irish i am sure you are hoping that he picks the same side or group for the Ireland game next Sat.
If you are French in comes Parra, FTD and a back row which does not include anyone from the 2nd row + anyone else with a little bit of international experience, the players will lock PSA Bru and Lagisquet in the broom cupboard till 21.00 Sat evening only allowing PSA out for press releases and interviews but with absolutely no contact with the players, only thing he does well, talk a good game!!!!! Think its great also for BOD to have his last game in Paris he throughly deserved his send off in Dublin great player great career was a little embarassing for him yesterday but he did well and
Man of the Match, who would have guessed that one completely out of the blue!!!!!!!!!
A draw today at twickers and the final in Paris next Sat. PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
the players will lock PSA Bru and Lagisquet in the broom cupboard till 21.00 Sat evening only allowing PSA out for press releases and interviews but with absolutely no contact with the players,

You mean, the same strategy than during the last WC final ? :rolleyes: