• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] England vs New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burrell's injured, isn't he?

Er yeah that's true, my bad. Still not a fan of Barrit though, but I guess he's the best option. I wonder if Lancaster will try and use Roko coming into the midfield a bit? He doesn't seem to be a massive fan of wingers in the midfield, but could be the kind of impact we need to break them down without Tuilagi around.

They may go with Morgan as a crash ball option in the midfield - that's assuming they don't think Billy can do it.

News is that Launchbury's injured for the whole series which is a blow. On the upside, I like Attwood, and I think that a combination of him and Lawes is going to be tough to deal with because both are so physical.

I don't get why AB fans are so hard on Dagg.:unsure: He provides the big boot option from full back,which is vital at international level. Bin is better utilised on the wing, where he scores more tries. Ditto for Piutau.
I'mm a Dagg fan, but I agree with most of my compatriots. Pretty much the biggest reason I'd wager that he's still on the team/1st XV, is that boot you mention. It's a great escape clause when we're on the back foot, and he still has the physical skills - just not the form.

But right now, Ben Smith and Piutau are better imo.

News is that Launchbury's injured for the whole series which is a blow. On the upside, I like Attwood, and I think that a combination of him and Lawes is going to be tough to deal with because both are so physical.

sucks, was waiting to watch Launchbury a little this Nov... Attwood has been mentioned a trizion times by English fans, he must be some lock..have seen a bit of him obviously, he looks good for sure.

sucks, was waiting to watch Launchbury a little this Nov... Attwood has been mentioned a trizion times by English fans, he must be some lock..have seen a bit of him obviously, he looks good for sure.

He's great, strong and powerful and a decent carrier (especially for a lock)

He's great, strong and powerful and a decent carrier (especially for a lock)

I remember him off the bench against Ireland. Good workrate, dedication...England have good depth in the forwards, and guys that have adapted to the modern game. Our locks are still those gritty nasty guys, one-dimensional, and among the younger ones we tend to lack power. Good for us Wallis et Futuna is French and we've got a couple of giant specimens from there. We haven't produced a Lionel Nallet in a while.

Christ, I hope they're both fit.
Gray and Paice are.....meh. Ward can play some excellent rugby but is throwing as badly as anyone I've ever seen atm, Cowan-Dickie only just back from injury this week, Taylor out for a few months yet.

I rate Jamie George, but beyond him... you don't really want to be going down to your 5th/6th choices.

Yeandle, George and Paice could do a job.

Who has said Hartley and Webber are 50/50 though?
First I've heard of it...

Last edited:
We talk about Gray and Ward. What's happening with Buchanan? Haven't seen much Quins for a while - how's he getting on? He was touted as the next big thing a while ago, but then Ward stepped it up and Buchanan was all forgotten.

How is Haywood doing these days too?

He played in the LV= game today, believe he was out injured earlier in the season. I never thought much of Buchanan when he was being touted as the next big thing, to be honest. He was just young and played at the (then) champs.
He's decent, don't get me wrong, but not the potential world beater/answer to our prayers that he was made out to be. Maybe he will be, he's only 22, but I don't think he should be talked about as an England possibility. I'd take Cowan-Dickie, Taylor and Haywood over him.

Is Haywood kicking on then? I was a massive fan of his when he was 20, then he got non-stopped injured and never looked that special when he did play.

I'm inclined to agree that Buchanan doesn't look like big news. He's a good player, he's got good potential, he'd say he is an England prospect... but he's a guy who may go on to play for England, and may get twenty caps or so; unlike LCD, who's a guy who probably will go on to play for England, and may get fifty caps or so.

Although that young lad at Leeds might give him some real competition from what people are saying...

I don't get why AB fans are so hard on Dagg.:unsure: He provides the big boot option from full back,which is vital at international level. Bin is better utilised on the wing, where he scores more tries. Ditto for Piutau.

Apart from the fact Dagg can't tackle, offers little with ball in hand, has a high error-rate, ruins numerous attacking movements due to his habit of no-look passing to no-one, and forces us to play the best fullback in world rugby in a position he is far less effective? Nothing at all ;)

Though Daggs boot (and ability under the high ball) is an asset I feel he has become a liability at test level. The ABs selectors love him though so he's probably locked into the ABs 15 jersey until they depart or he retires.....

I agree with others that the most interesting selections for the ABs will be at 10 and 12. Personally I would go for Cruden at 10 (with Barrett on the bench) - Carter can continue his rehab versus Scotland. At 12 I would prefer Crotty, but I suspect Fekitoa will be given another crack in the 12 jersey. I would love to see a 11. Savea 14. Piutau 15. Smith back three, but I can't see that happening...

The only change from our 'top' lineup in the forwards may be Faumuina starting, as he has impressed since he was dropped earlier in the season, and Owen Franks has looked a bit flat recently.

Offers little with ball in hand?
...Really?...

Apart from the fact Dagg can't tackle, offers little with ball in hand, has a high error-rate, ruins numerous attacking movements due to his habit of no-look passing to no-one, and forces us to play the best fullback in world rugby in a position he is far less effective? Nothing at all ;)

Though Daggs boot (and ability under the high ball) is an asset I feel he has become a liability at test level. The ABs selectors love him though so he's probably locked into the ABs 15 jersey until they depart or he retires.....

Right oh Darwin; you defo need to be on the ABa selection panel;). At least Dagg has pace; unlike Alex Goode, who few England fans rate. If Dagg is the worst full back option the ABs have got, then I'd take him any day of the week over someone like Goode.

It will be interesting to see if Hansen picks a back 3 of Savea, Bin Smuth and Piutau.

I assume the ABs side against England

1. Wyatt Crockett
2. Dane Coles
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Kaino? Messam?
7. Richie Mccaw
8. Kieran Read
9. Aaron Smith
10. Dan Carter? Aaron Cruden?
11. Savea
12. SBW? Fekitoa?
13. Conrad Smith
14. Piutau
15. Ben Smith

I assume the ABs side against England

1. Wyatt Crockett
2. Dane Coles
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Kaino? Messam?
7. Richie Mccaw
8. Kieran Read
9. Aaron Smith
10. Dan Carter? Aaron Cruden?
11. Savea
12. SBW? Fekitoa?
13. Conrad Smith
14. Piutau
15. Ben Smith

Oh, man, that backline though! No need for Barret, Nonu, Jane or Dagg, right. Who wants 'em.

England will have to try and monster the AB pack which is easier said than done #1 and #2 do it for 80 minutes without slipping and #3 you'll have to score a few tries of your own to win. It's just that tough really. Rugby just isn't the type of sport where 1 or 2 lucky breaks will win you a game if your not in it any case.

Offers little with ball in hand?
...Really?...

In comparison to Smith or Piutau that's probably quite a fair statement.

Last edited:
I see England winning this, but only due to NZ faking certain strategies for the RWC final (which will be between these two sides, obviously).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts