• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] England vs New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right oh Darwin; you defo need to be on the ABa selection panel;). At least Dagg has pace; unlike Alex Goode, who few England fans rate. If Dagg is the worst full back option the ABs have got, then I'd take him any day of the week over someone like Goode.

It will be interesting to see if Hansen picks a back 3 of Savea, Bin Smuth and Piutau.

There is no doubt about that. Hansen and co. only have a 89% win record. They clearly have no idea what they are doing ;)

As difficult as it is to argue against that record I do think they are making a mistake not playing Ben Smith at 15. He was outstanding when he was (finally) given a chance in the AB's 15 jersey earlier this year, but hasn't been near as effective since shifted back to the wing (mainly as he has received only about 1/3 as much ball!).

Dagg certainly isn't the worst fullback option the AB's have. If there was a RWC final tomorrow and Ben Smith was unavailable I would probably chose him in the 15 jersey because his experience is valuable at test level. However if Barrett / Piutau were given a few test starts in the AB's 15 jersey I think they would offer just as much - if not more - than Dagg.

I'd imagine the All Blacks squad will be:
1 Crockett
2 Coles
3 Franks
4 Retallick
5 Whitelock
6 Kaino
7 McCaw
8 Read
9 Smith
10 Cruden
11 Savea
12 Fekitoa
13 Smith
14 Smith
15 Dagg
16 Mealamu
17 Moody
18 Faumuina
19 Tuipulotu
20 Messam
21 Perenara
22 Barrett
23 Piutau

SBW and Carter will probably be given another week off to get over their jiggles etc. Otherwise it will simply be the top team. As we've heard, the selectors prefer Barrett as a bench option to Cruden and otherwise there are really no arguments over who should be starting. A lot of people would prefer to see Smith at fullback over Dagg, but I think it's fair to say the selectors prefer the above trio.

The only other real questions concern the make up of the bench. Has Moody cemented the back up loose head berth for now, or is Ben Franks still preferred? Will Thrush be rewarded for his consistent performances so far, even if Tuipuloto is a better long term prospect? Messam or Cane to back up the starting loose forwards?

Last edited:
Would love nothing more than to see England win but I simply can't see it happening. The English will step up as usual but fall just short, losing by less than 5 points.

I think Carter needs to start. We can't afford to ship points if Cruden is having an off day with the boot. He will only need to make a few tackles and NZ don't really focus attacks on a running flyhalf anymore (Cruden barely takes on the line and Barrett does only on second phase) So Carter can afford to play it safe but control the game.
I think Dagg will start with Crotty at 12 too.

Cruden barely takes on the line

Cruden bring sit to the line, and is quite happy taking it into traffic.

Barrett does only on second phase

That's pretty normal, you want your 10 coming to the line off 2nd and 3rd phase, you do't want him getting wrapped up against a set defence on 1st phase ball when you've got multiphase plays set out.

Also, Colin Slades been called into the squad.

If England really show up - All Blacks by up to 5.

If they dont...

Burrell's injured, isn't he?

I think Barritt's lack of attack/threat is ridiculously overplayed.

Agreed . Hardly helped played outside Farrell before he improved . For me this back line looks good ! Excited about Saturday already

Agreed . Hardly helped played outside Farrell before he improved.
I think a lot of people gloss over that.
I'm not saying he's Kyle Eastmond, but a lot of his caps came playing outside a playing-it-safe Farrell, who was still growing into international rugby, and a severely out of form Ben Youngs.

well done guys, it only took you all 4 months to catch with me on Barritt :D

My thinking on going back to Barritt is more along the lines is "eh, s'pose Barritt will do" rather than "hell yeah Barritt!"

He's by far the weakest link in the team. I'd also still prefer Slade there.

Also, thinking about it, I think Lancaster is making an absolutely terrible tactical blunder putting him at 13. Whilst he can crash up the field/dummy run at 12, there's no escaping that an international 13 needs a fantastic attacking game. Every 13 that's worth anything in international rugby, does. He's going to be Eastmond's main option all the way through the game. He's going to link with the back three. Unless you dummy round the back of him or miss-pass him, or play with the pace that he can shovel it on without doing much work, he's going to be the back that runs the furthest distance in a backline move, the one that has to cut the great angle to put the winger/fullback in space. He has an average attacking game. Not good. Definitely not great. I certainly wouldn't trust him there. (Which is why I hope May is picked, and he comes in-field to do a bit of that work. He has experience and skill in attacking in the 13 channel.)

Looking forward to seeing Savea made a biatch by another Fijian winger Roko like how he was second class in the super rugby to another Fijian winger Nadolo. Luckily in RC Another Fijian winger was not eligible yet for Aussie Speight. :p

well done guys, it only took you all 4 months to catch with me on Barritt :D

To be fair all we are saying is he isn't bad for a 3rd choice ......

If Tuilagi or Burrell are fit he doesn't get a look in imo

Also looks like there's potential Attwood may not play aswell his baby was due last Friday . Lancaster has supposedly drawn up a plan incase we don't have him

Last edited:
If Attwood's out then that's a big blow.
Kruis is a fine player, as is Kitchener, but losing two locks in the week before a test is not ideal.

If Attwood's out then that's a big blow.
Kruis is a fine player, as is Kitchener, but losing two locks in the week before a test is not ideal.

That's what sky sports news says .... I hope not . Let's hope his wife has the baby tomorrow

NZ fans - who you got starting at 10?

Other than only kicking 50% (people seem to forget about Barrett's 38% outing against Argentina by the way), I thought Cruden had a really good game against USA. The backline flowed nicely and he was putting people into a lot of space. In saying that it was against the USA.

My biggest worry with Barrett is that he doesn't really run the game all that well. While he has all the skills, in his last two starts (loss and a near loss) he either just shoveled on well behind the advantage line, or tucked and ran, with not much in between. He can be very dangerous at the end of the game but I don't feel that confident in him starting a big test (his track record in that regard isn't great).

I feel like Cruden gets hammered by the public for whatever reason, even though we have never lost a test that he has started. People seem to gloss over Barrett's errors and highlight Cruden's. All he has done is win every start for the AB's and 2 Super ***les in 3 years at the Chiefs.

Other than only kicking 50% (people seem to forget about Barrett's 38% outing against Argentina by the way), I thought Cruden had a really good game against USA. The backline flowed nicely and he was putting people into a lot of space. In saying that it was against the USA.

My biggest worry with Barrett is that he doesn't really run the game all that well. While he has all the skills, in his last two starts (loss and a near loss) he either just shoveled on well behind the advantage line, or tucked and ran, with not much in between. He can be very dangerous at the end of the game but I don't feel that confident in him starting a big test (his track record in that regard isn't great).

I feel like Cruden gets hammered by the public for whatever reason, even though we have never lost a test that he has started. People seem to gloss over Barrett's errors and highlight Cruden's. All he has done is win every start for the AB's and 2 Super ***les in 3 years at the Chiefs.

Yep it's a pretty straight forward decision for me.

Also even though Cruden's kicking against the USA wasn't great, most of his kicks were fairly difficult. It's not like he was missing easy kicks.

Yep it's a pretty straight forward decision for me.

Also even though Cruden's kicking against the USA wasn't great, most of his kicks were fairly difficult. It's not like he was missing easy kicks.

I agree. It's a pretty easy decision for me too. I think Cruden is clearly our best option at 10, with Barrett our best option off the bench.

Tough call. I'm genuinely pretty happy with any of DC, Barrett or Cruden starting. Carter landed three of his kicks from the sideline in the same difficult conditions while Barrett has been pretty clinical with the boot of late. Still I guess I'd have to go with Cruden starting with Barrett off the bench for this game - with Carter maybe getting a start against Scotland.

Carter for me.

followed by Cruden and Barrett off from the bench at 60 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts