• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] England vs New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair all we are saying is he isn't bad for a 3rd choice ......

If Tuilagi or Burrell are fit he doesn't get a look in imo

Also looks like there's potential Attwood may not play aswell his baby was due last Friday . Lancaster has supposedly drawn up a plan incase we don't have him ��������

I think if in the scheme of England if Manu or Luther are fit then Eastmond doens't get the look in.... Barritt was likely to sart at 12, any way my point is the "he's not that bad at attacking" comments are what i've been aying for a while that's all... it's just a bit of teasing, only half serious.

Have England really gone back to playing Barritt. Seems very unambitious to me. Is he going to win you a world cup the answer to that is no. Personally I would like to see how the Eastmond and Joseph partenrship would go at international level as they are probably the in form centres in the country at the moment.

Is this only broadcast on Setanta?

Have England really gone back to playing Barritt. Seems very unambitious to me. Is he going to win you a world cup the answer to that is no. Personally I would like to see how the Eastmond and Joseph partenrship would go at international level as they are probably the in form centres in the country at the moment.

why is it unambitious?

Surely the teams ambition comes down to a collective mindset and not one mans ability to step on a two pence?

Is this only broadcast on Setanta?

It's sky in the UK, probably be sky in NZ as well?

why is it unambitious?

Surely the teams ambition comes down to a collective mindset and not one mans ability to step on a two pence?

It's sky in the UK, probably be sky in NZ as well?

Last couple of years at least the England v NZ game has been locked up with Setanta (or should I say ****anta? they only broadcast SD here).

NZ fans - who you got starting at 10?

Carter for me, as I mentioned earlier. Cruden on bench as cover. Hopefully Dan can stay fit and play through to the WC - then we will have to hope there is another talented gem playing U19s or 21s at the moment. Not confident with the current crop of 10's to take us forward.

Carter made Cruden look positively amateur against the Eagles.

Last couple of years at least the England v NZ game has been locked up with Setanta (or should I say ****anta? they only broadcast SD here).

Eh?

I've watched the NZ broadcasts on YT before and they are definitely done by SkyNZ...

Carter made Cruden look positively amateur against the Eagles.

In terms of goal-kicking certainly. In terms of general play.... not so much. He made a couple of excellent runs, but overall Carter looked quite rusty (not surprising given how little rugby he has played recently). The backline seemed to lose a lot of shape once Carter came on - obviously not all his fault - but his passing was a bit laboured at times. Cruden wasn't perfect, but his passing was sharp - he was one of the main reasons we keep finding space out wide.

Carter for me, as I mentioned earlier. Cruden on bench as cover. Hopefully Dan can stay fit and play through to the WC - then we will have to hope there is another talented gem playing U19s or 21s at the moment. Not confident with the current crop of 10's to take us forward.

Really? Personally I think this is the most talented crop of 10's I've ever seen (which to be fair is a rather limited period - only about 20 years). None may ever develop into a Dan Carter, but he is a once in a lifetime player in my opinion. However, I feel both Cruden and Barrett are already world class 10's, and will only get better with more experience. Indeed Colin Slade even looks like he could do a good job at test level. If there is one position in the AB's were I think we have an overabundance of quality it is at 10.

If we compare our options at 10 now to what we had at the last RWC we are now light-years ahead. Last RWC we had Dan Carter, followed by Colin Slade (who had played about 5 games in the last 3 years and was at that stage a hopeless goal-kicker), followed by a 22 year-old Aaron Cruden who was not yet ready for test rugby, followed by Stephen Donald.....

I think if in the scheme of England if Manu or Luther are fit then Eastmond doens't get the look in.... Barritt was likely to sart at 12, any way my point is the "he's not that bad at attacking" comments are what i've been aying for a while that's all... it's just a bit of teasing, only half serious.

In the face of a bunch of injuries and against the best attacking backs in the world his defensive ability is going to be valuable, but his attacking ability, while "not that bad" is significantly worse than every other centre option (including injuries), no?

And you must admit starting Barrit at 13 is a different proposition to starting him at 12 too. I would be tempted to play him inside JJ, who offers an attacking threat and defends very well for Bath, although it would send a negative message to Eastmond.

We as england still love to play centres out of position.

Barritt and JJ or eastmond and JJ

That should be the choices really

In the face of a bunch of injuries and against the best attacking backs in the world his defensive ability is going to be valuable, but his attacking ability, while "not that bad" is significantly worse than every other centre option (including injuries), no?

And you must admit starting Barrit at 13 is a different proposition to starting him at 12 too. I would be tempted to play him inside JJ, who offers an attacking threat and defends very well for Bath, although it would send a negative message to Eastmond.

Well I'm a Barritt fan so I've got no problems with him starting - i think he's a lot better in attack than people think, and has a better passing game than people believe - he just hasn't been used in that role by England. I also think what attacking deficiencies he lacks are balanced out by his incredible defence.

He's played 13 before and gone well - different kettle of fish against the AB's granted but I think he is suited to the 13 channel more than the 12, and i think at this level you need a 12 or 13 who can get you to the gain line or give you a target and you have to have a defensive leader, which in my mind he is the best we have.

We as england still love to play centres out of position.

Barritt and JJ or eastmond and JJ

That should be the choices really

why?

Sometimes people have a skill set that fits differently to the international game than their domestic/club game where riches are less. Richard Kahui for example played more for NZ at wing then he did at centre, but was/is a fantastic centre for the chiefs.

This becomes harder the further down the numbers you go but it needs to be best man for the job, not next in line.

Last edited:
i will like to see the struggle of the reff to see wich team he`s gonna bennefit.. since both teams allways get the important calls in their favour.

I think he is suited to the 13 channel more than the 12

Why is that? I've been watching some of your deadballarea stuff and would be interested to hear your take. I can't say I've seen him play thirteen as far as I can remember, but to me his skillset seems to suit 12 better.

Why is that? I've been watching some of your deadballarea stuff and would be interested to hear your take. I can't say I've seen him play thirteen as far as I can remember, but to me his skillset seems to suit 12 better.

I think he is more suited to playing in the back row. He certainly doesn't have the ball skills of

Burrell, 12trees, eastmond, JJ, slade, hill.

He doesn't have the pace for 13 or the hands for 12. I have watched nearly all Saracens games on TV over the last couple of years and I can't really ever remember a great piece of attack by Barrett.

Forwards (13)
Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby)
Kieran Brookes (Newcastle Falcons)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
George Kruis (Saracens)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Matt Mullan (Wasps)
David Wilson (Bath Rugby)
Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, captain)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens)
Rob Webber (Bath Rugby)
Tom Wood (Northampton Saints)
Backs (10)
Brad Barritt (Saracens)
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
George Ford (Bath Rugby)
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby)
Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Anthony Watson ousts Alex Goode for the 23 shirt!

Happy with that and especially the wingers who are the the most in form in the county at the moment. For me they the most interesting positions to watch in the next few weeks as it is evident Lancaster hasn't developed a game plan to get the best out of them so far. It is vital England get them involved more often in a match.

Well **** the bed, that's not a bad side all things considered.

I wonder if May is ahead of Yarde on form (read: defence), or whether Yarde's injury early on prevented too much training.

Watson is unexpected, but I suppose at least they're picking on form

Really? Personally I think this is the most talented crop of 10's I've ever seen (which to be fair is a rather limited period - only about 20 years). None may ever develop into a Dan Carter, but he is a once in a lifetime player in my opinion. However, I feel both Cruden and Barrett are already world class 10's, and will only get better with more experience. Indeed Colin Slade even looks like he could do a good job at test level. If there is one position in the AB's were I think we have an overabundance of quality it is at 10.

If we compare our options at 10 now to what we had at the last RWC we are now light-years ahead. Last RWC we had Dan Carter, followed by Colin Slade (who had played about 5 games in the last 3 years and was at that stage a hopeless goal-kicker), followed by a 22 year-old Aaron Cruden who was not yet ready for test rugby, followed by Stephen Donald.....
I agree with this. I feel 100% (or close to) with every single 10 we have - even Slade. In saying that though, there are minor things I worry about each one.

- Carter: Best game manager and reader of opposition we have. Provides the best attacking flow (despite maybe not the same in terms of his running) imo even at this stage in his career. Probably the best defensively of the bunch. Main concern is health.
- Cruden: Probably the 'safest' option of all. But rarely provides that offensive spark these days, and kicking range (and accuracy, as of late) are big concerns for me.
- Barrett: Provides the best attacking spark. Kicking off hand is ok. Goal kicking (in general, and historically speaking) has been questionable though. Some concern in terms of defensive game. Deals with pressure well in the big game, however.
- Slade: Most solid kicker (goal kicking and in hand) of the bunch imo, save for maybe DC. Runs the game about as well as anyone, but I still think he has that 'jitteriness' about the big game/under pressure about him, and can wilt (a la RWC 2011 et al). Mind you, big kick against AUS, but again, that was using his main strength, in goal kicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.