• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] England vs New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brookes, Attwood and Binny coming off the bench together....ouch!

Hard to know what Lancaster is going to do with the 23 shirt. While Goode is obviously a favourite of his, I think he's slipped down the pecking order quite a bit.
I reckon it could be Nowell, or maybe Joseph. My preference would be Joseph, but then we'd have no 15 cover on the pitch/bench if Brown got injured - Ford would be the closest thing we'd have.
I don't think Lancaster has ever not picked a 15 for the 23 shirt, except when there have been two 15s on the field. If he has, it has been very rarely.

And although Nowell is a winger/15, I suspect he's training as a winger in the squad.

I would be quite surprised if Goode isn't in the 23 shirt.

I don't think Lancaster has ever not picked a 15 for the 23 shirt, except when there have been two 15s on the field. If he has, it has been very rarely.

And although Nowell is a winger/15, I suspect he's training as a winger in the squad.

I would be quite surprised if Goode isn't in the 23 shirt.

Would make so much more sense to have Foden on the bench just for his ability to be decent in other positions . Oh and that Goode is absolute dog ****

To be fair Goode has been playing far better than Foden over the past year.....it's just he's proven his inability to translate club form to international form time and time again.

To be fair Goode has been playing far better than Foden over the past year.....it's just he's proven his inability to translate club form to international form time and time again.

I'd rather see Watson than either of them but I think It's easier to compare Goode and Foden as they have comparable experience, age etc.

So likely teams?

England:- Brown, Rokoduguni, Barritt, Eastmond, Yarde, Farrell, Care, Vunipola, Robshaw (captain), Wood, Lawes, Launchbury, Wilson, Hartley, Marler

Subs: Webber, Mullen, Brookes, Attwood, Morgan, Youngs, Ford, Goode (I just know Lancaster is going to pick him:()

NZ:- Dagg, Ben Smith, Conrad Smith, Crotty (assuming SBW is rule out) Savea, Barrett, Aaron Smith, Read, Kaino, McCaw (cap), Whitelock, Rettallick, Owen Franks, Coles, Crockett

Subs: Mealamu, Moody/Ben Franks, Faumauina, Tuipolotu, Cane, Perenara, Carter, Fekitoa/Piutau.

Is SBW injured?

Well England are going to be slaughtered.

good way to shield yourself there ;) "ah, we're helpless we'll get annihilated" but really you're expecting nothing less than a very solid performance at home from a team on the rise in view of the WC in less than a year. In fact you'd be quite surprised if England did actually get slaughtered ! We all are expecting the same thing: a visitors' brief win, about 3-8 difference. A couple maybe 3 tries to the home side's 1, maaaaybe 2.

good way to shield yourself there ;) "ah, we're helpless we'll get annihilated" but really you're expecting nothing less than a very solid performance at home from a team on the rise in view of the WC in less than a year. In fact you'd be quite surprised if England did actually get slaughtered ! We all are expecting the same thing: a visitors' brief win, about 3-8 difference. A couple maybe 3 tries to the home side's 1, maaaaybe 2.

I'm expecting a repeat of 2012 tbh maybe a Rokoduguni hat-trick on full debut . Cue the "HES NOT ENGLISH!!!" comments ;)

Is SBW injured?

Corked thigh according Planet rugby. Usually takes 1-3 weeks to recover from depending on the grade of severity. I'm thinking he's unlikely to make it. Shame as I want to see the best players play.

I can't see us winning, the ABs have perfected the art of winning, even if it is at the last second and by 1 point, the jammy buggers still manage it. One thing Lancaster must REALLY hammer into the team is if by some miracle we are ahead do not under any circumstances start winding down until the final whistle has blown. ABs have won so amny games in literally the last minute yet teams keep switching off before the game has finished. They will always play the full 80.

Haha good comeback ;) hopefully everyone will find out in the next 10 games or so who he is :)

..comeback ?

I can't see us winning, the ABs have perfected the art of winning, even if it is at the last second and by 1 point, the jammy buggers still manage it. One thing Lancaster must REALLY hammer into the team is if by some miracle we are ahead do not under any circumstances start winding down until the final whistle has blown. ABs have won so amny games in literally the last minute yet teams keep switching off before the game has finished. They will always play the full 80.

huh, when has New Zealand EVER come back to win a game recently ??....:to_pick_ones_nose2::whistle3:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...-to-Semesa-Rokoduguni-versus-New-Zealand.html

Apparently Barritt is to play 13, alongside Eastmond. Rokoduguni to start too.

Mixed feelings about this. Especially the news that originally, Barritt was earmarked to start alongside Tuilagi. Are we really considering that partnership again, going forward? Hopefully Eastmond will deliver and force his way into starting alongside Tuilagi in future.

what the hell is that, and is it good with rice ?
You'll like him. He's got good feet, quite fast and has MASS.

Last edited by a moderator:

That boils down to fitness; the ABs are the fittest team in world rugby. I don't think it's something Lancaster can just hammer home in the dressing room not to switch off in the last few minutes. If England aren't fit enough physically 1-23 then they will lose if it is tight at the end.

Last edited:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...-to-Semesa-Rokoduguni-versus-New-Zealand.html

Mixed feelings about this. Especially the news that originally, Barritt was earmarked to start alongside Tuilagi. Are we really considering that partnership again, going forward? Hopefully Eastmond will deliver and force his way into starting alongside Tuilagi in future.

You'll like him. He's got good feet, quite fast and has MASS.

ah, yes, I see, England is finally following in France's footsteps, and got themselves their token Fijian winger :D good on them...he looks strong and electric. Yes, I know he's in the British Army, but let's just say things as they are, a poach is a poach, let's not blow hot air. England has yet to pick up a Pac Islander prop though, France are ahead in that category so far ! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
p9X8PHd.gif

That's a lot of Bath praise in one post for a Gloucs supporter!

I'm really really unconvinced Brad Barrit is a good idea, I just can't see him having any serious impact on the game. Yes his defence is good, but is it that good? Good enough to make up for his total lack of anything in attack? Eastmond is a good twelve, a distributing twelve who needs players coming off him - he and Joseph have been so good for Bath because both are threats, both have to be covered and that stretches the defense. That allows Eastmond either to find a hole or to pick a pass for JJ, but Barrit won't really give that option, NZ can just close him down and deny him any space to work with. Tuilagin certainly would have offered that option, and I think in his absence Burrell could do too, although he hasn't been all that for Northants so far he's always been pretty good for England I feel, so I'd have picked him.

Rokoduguni is pure class, we're all going to have to learn to pronounce / spell that name because we're going to be talking about him a lot I reckon...

Burrell's injured, isn't he?

I think Barritt's lack of attack/threat is ridiculously overplayed.

Barritt should do OK if he's put into space - you just can't rely on him to make breaks on his own, hopefully his decision making and execution after a break will allow our wingers/support runners to do something.

I'm looking forward to this as most of the matches between the two sides in recent years have been very intense but I do find it hard to know who to cheer for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts