• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby play-off A: Brumbies v Chiefs

Been a cracking game so far - can't believe the Chiefs throwing the ball away after that turn over though - massive brain snap

Very poor there from the Brumbies, both in defence and in awareness from White at the ruck.

Try! Conversion critical now.

....and he misses it.

And Brumbies were sealing off at every single breakdown there... Ah well.

wow, well done Brumbies. Aussie clubs are for real this year, ay...

Tough call... surely wasn't held

Based on the fact they haven't showed a replay I assume you are correct!

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable match. It was a great come back by the Chiefs, but I felt the Brumbies deserved their victory.

Man what an ending, well played Brumbies, certainly the better team over the night.

Nice comeback by the Chiefs, just let themselves down in that opening 20 minutes and conceded too many points.

Yeah, absolutely - match was a great advertisement for Rugby. Now all we need is for the Highlanders to upset the Sharks :D .

Well done Brumbies, Tahs should take note of this

Well done Brumbies, Tahs should take note of this

Yeah, a bit of a worry playing the Brumbies - even if we did hammer them a few weeks ago (albeit missing players). That said, Highlanders really outclassed the Sharks in Durban last time, so even though it's finals you never know. Seriously hoping they do get up as I'd much rather see us play them haha

I just watched the game on tape delay. Awesome game! In the first half Brumbies crushed to Chiefs but in the second half the Kiwis woke up and the game was very entertaining.

Congrats Brumbies!

Great win for the Brumbies. Really pleasing for Australian rugby in general. I will be hoping the Highlanders pull off the upset in Durban to send the Brumbies to Christchurch... As a Waratahs fan I feel like the Brumbies match up very well with us.

Jeez, I hope Joubert gets appointed to referee the Waratahs v Brumbies match next week because if he treats Brumbies offside players as invisible the way he did in this match, the Brumbies might have a real chance of knocking over the Tahs.

I can't believe how often Brumbies players were allowed to stay in the Chiefs side of the tackle/ruck between the ball and the scrummie. He yellow carded TNW for this in the first few minutes and then allows the Brumbies to do exactly the same thing all match long; falling on the wrong side of the ball and making no attempt to roll away.

A few more thoughts:

- Sio was the pick of the Brumbies forwards for me. He does his core roles well, and his ball running really impressed me this match.
- Mann-Rea played a lot better than I predicted.
- Mowen impressed both with his all-round game and his leadership. His work at the lineout is invaluable, he makes his tackles, does the 'dirty work' and was breaking tackles with ball in hand. I think he is a big loss to Australian rugby.
-Butler doesn't offer a lot in terms of ball running / breakdown skills, but he certainly made plenty of tackles!
- Nic White continued his strong season - he just seems so good at identifying gaps and putting his team-mates through these gaps.
- Toomua, Lealiifano, and Kuridrani were all solid. I'm still not sure why Lealiifano continues to kick at goal - those two easy misses in the 2nd half could well have proved costly...
- Speight was quite simply unstoppable. Hopefully he realizes the error of his ways and returns to New Zealand rather than taking up a Wallabies jersey later this season :p
-Mogg was pretty good too, though I do believe they need to find a way to include McCabe in the starting lineup (personally I would play him at 12 against the Waratahs).

-MackIntosh held up at scrum time slightly better than I predicted, and did some good work around the field.
- Schwalger played like the old-man he is. A fast paced game doesn't suit him these days, so I have no idea why they keep him on the field until the 76th minute?
- Fitzgerald and Retallick both worked hard all match as usual. As did the loose forward trio of Messam, Latimer, and Squire. However I felt they probably lacked a dynamic ball runner (or two) in the pack, as they often struggled to get over advantage line close to the breakdown.
- Kerr-Barlow was pretty good, but Pulu made a couple of crucial errors late in the match.
- Cruden was quiet in the 1st half, but was key to the Chiefs revival in the 2nd with his running / passing game. He did slip off a few too many tackles though...
- Aki ran hard and straight. He didn't do a lot else though. Nanai-Williams is still not a centre.
- Lowe again showed his promise with a couple of fantastic breaks, but he missed Speight 3-4 times in that 1st half. Sweeney showed why he shouldn't have been picked at fullback. He made some good tackles but his positioning / decision making was poor overall.

Jeez, I hope Joubert gets appointed to referee the Waratahs v Brumbies match next week because if he treats Brumbies offside players as invisible the way he did in this match, the Brumbies might have a real chance of knocking over the Tahs.

I can't believe how often Brumbies players were allowed to stay in the Chiefs side of the tackle/ruck between the ball and the scrummie. He yellow carded TNW for this in the first few minutes and then allows the Brumbies to do exactly the same thing all match long; falling on the wrong side of the ball and making no attempt to roll away.

Did he not Yellow Speight for exactly the same thing?

Did he not Yellow Speight for exactly the same thing?

He did, but he had 5-6 chances before that to do it, also when the the Brumbies gave away 3 penalties in quick succession in their own 22 area, yet nothing, also with 4-5 minutes to go they infringed again and couple easily have had a player sent off then too.

Don't get me wrong I felt the Brumbies deserved to win as they started better and took advantage of things, they ran instead of kicking early and had done there homework on us.

Latest posts