• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Reds v Highlanders (Round 16)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
140527081317320922.png

1. James Slipper
2. James Hanson
3. Greg Holmes
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (c)
6. Curtis Browning
7. Beau Robinson
8. Jake Schatz
9. Will Genia (VC) (100th Queensland cap)
10. Ben Lucas
11. Rod Davies
12. Anthony Fainga'a
13. Ben Tapuai
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Mike Harris

140527081318293208.png

140527081314926936.png

1 - Kane Hames
2 - Liam Coltman
3 - Ma'afu Fia
4 - Jarrad Hoeata
5 - Joe Wheeler
6 - Gareth Evans
7 - Shane Christie
8 - Nasi Manu
9 - Aaron Smith
10 - Lima Sopoaga
11 - Patrick Osborne
12 - Shaun Treeby
13 - Malakai Fekitoa
14 - Richard Buckman
15 - Ben Smith

Last edited:
This is a game we probably should win. It is by far the easiest of our remaining games - if we win here we may only need to win 1/3 of our remaining games to secure a playoffs spot (assuming other results go our way). The way the Highlanders have been going this season we are probably going to lose this match though.... then win our 3 remaining games which look far more difficult :)

injuries darwin? cant think of any other than Thorn...

injuries darwin? cant think of any other than Thorn...

We seem to be pretty good for a change on the injury front. I assume Bekhuis is still out, and I understand Coltman is 50/50, but apart from that we basically have a full strength squad to pick from.

i would like to see baker back on the bench but i have a feeling he's blown his second chance with Joseph...i if he's played in japan or for NZ maori he would have been able to do all the spare tackles he liked...but joseph just doesn't like him

Reds v Highlanders, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane – Friday 30 May, 9.40pm (NZT)
1 - Kane Hames
2 - Liam Coltman
3 - Ma'afu Fia
4 - Jarrad Hoeata
5 - Joe Wheeler
6 - Gareth Evans
7 - Shane Christie
8 - Nasi Manu (co-captain)
9 - Aaron Smith
10 - Lima Sopoaga
11 - Patrick Osborne
12 - Shaun Treeby
13 - Malakai Fekitoa
14 - Richard Buckman
15 - Ben Smith (co-captain)

Reserves
16 – Ged Robinson
17 – Matias Diaz
18 – Chris King
19 – Tom Franklin
20 – Elliot Dixon
21 – Fumiaki Tanaka
22 – Hayden Parker
23 – Phil Burleigh

Pretty good side. Coltman adds a bit more physicality at hooker (though perhaps lacks Robinsons accuracy) and King and Fia are pretty even IMO. I would have liked to have seen Franklin given the start, but it is great to see Evans finally back in the starting XV....

Reds:

1. James Slipper , 2. James Hanson , 3. Greg Holmes , 4. Rob Simmons , 5. James Horwill (C) , 6. Curtis Browning , 7. Beau Robinson , 8. Jake Schatz , 9. Will Genia (VC) (100th Queensland cap) , 10. Ben Lucas , 11. Rod Davies , 12. Anthony Fainga'a , 13. Ben Tapuai , 14. Dom Shipperley , 15. Mike Harris

Replacements : 16. Andrew Ready (potential debut) , 17. Albert Anae , 18. Sef Faagase (potential debut) , 19. Dave McDuling , 20. Liam Gill , 21. Nick Frisby , 22. Samu Kerevi (potential debut) , 23. Jamie-Jerry Taulagi

If I were McKenzie I'd be worried about the form of Genia and Cooper. True there is only so much the halfbacks can do behind a beaten pack but they used to go alright with the same pack of forwards in the past.

If I were McKenzie I'd be worried about the form of Genia and Cooper. True there is only so much the halfbacks can do behind a beaten pack but they used to go alright with the same pack of forwards in the past.
I've always thought that Cooper was inconsistency with or without a good pack. It's not that he's not capable of greatness but it's delivered so infrequently and at such a cost it's not really worth having him. If I were the Aussies I wouldn't even consider Cooper, Genia cracks the nod by default (and besides he hasn't been "bad" just not Genia).

I'm rooting for the Highlanders to make a spot, and this is a must win, probably with a bp, 3 tough fixtures ahead.

I've always thought that Cooper was inconsistency with or without a good pack. It's not that he's not capable of greatness but it's delivered so infrequently and at such a cost it's not really worth having him. If I were the Aussies I wouldn't even consider Cooper, Genia cracks the nod by default (and besides he hasn't been "bad" just not Genia).

I'm rooting for the Highlanders to make a spot, and this is a must win, probably with a bp, 3 tough fixtures ahead.

Yeah he is certainly inconsistently, however he is way more consistent when playing in front of a good pack, look at his 2011 with the Reds and then the Tri-Nations, he played really good, went to the world cup and played way below expectation.

When he has time and space to make decisions he shows us that he is good, when given less of either he shows us that inconsistency. Good players like Carter and Wilkinson show us that you can play well in both modes.

This year is a nightmare for Reds

Like the South African fly-halves, Marnitz Boshoff with some good games this year he could challenge the Bok jersey.

Last edited:
Seriously what are our forwards doing? They should stop ******* around and start hitting breakdowns. Surely that is not too much to ask....

I dont think he'll be that worried for me Genia is overrated anyway. He only had about one or two good years around 2010-11 for mine he has not been that impressive and certainly not played to his potential in a long time. And as for cooper I think they have other options that are less of liability.

What is wrong with our ball handing this week? We are playing completely rubbish at the moment....

Seriously what are our forwards doing? They should stop ******* around and start hitting breakdowns. Surely that is not too much to ask....

I hate to agree with the Aussie commies but the HL are just to scrambled they need to play percentages a bit more. They are busting the line no problem but just throwing the ball around a bit much..... WHAT the F!$I was that call from the ref on Hoeata all about!!! What a load of crap that was.

Latest posts