• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: Wales vs. Fiji (01/10/2015)

Yeah that's well worth mentioning, amazing game from Faletau - without him those scrums would have been even more messy and dangerous!

Good point about Bradley Davies too - he's been good so far but Charteris should start. Frustrating that a probable try for Wales didn't even get to the TMO because of that neck roll. As good as he can be Davies is prone to the ol' red mist every now and then. Much less so these days but Charteris is deserving of the start I think.

Agree , charteris should start over Davies , just for the sheer fact of securing line out ball which will be especially important against Australia. Cuthbert was poor again and why they trying the high ball from him was being me, he's rubbish in the air and can't catch also he's so frustrating he makes a good interception then drops the ball and squanders a certain try!!!

Agree , charteris should start over Davies , just for the sheer fact of securing line out ball which will be especially important against Australia. Cuthbert was poor again and why they trying the high ball from him was being me, he's rubbish in the air and can't catch also he's so frustrating he makes a good interception then drops the ball and squanders a certain try!!!

Also I don't understand why he choose to flirt with the touchline at the end, could of just cut back inside and took contact. I know the bonus point wasn't possible at that point but he's just trying way too hard

Also I don't understand why he choose to flirt with the touchline at the end, could of just cut back inside and took contact. I know the bonus point wasn't possible at that point but he's just trying way too hard

Exactly and this goes back to does he have a brain because I'm seriously doubting he has

Exactly and this goes back to does he have a brain because I'm seriously doubting he has

He did have some nice footwork to break through the defence at one point, then got penalised for not releasing

He did have some nice footwork to break through the defence at one point, then got penalised for not releasing
Id rather go with priestland on the wing tbh , I don't want a frustrating Cuthbert to start against the wallabies

Id rather go with priestland on the wing tbh , I don't want a frustrating Cuthbert to start against the wallabies

I can't see gatland picking someone out of position although I'm sure any of the subs would do a better job there at the moment. Don't see why morgan doesn't go there, australia don't have massive wingers and will be a threat from anywhere, but is rather morgan be tackling than cuthbert. Just seemed to flounder around in defence yesterday

I was initially a bit deflated after the match and disappointed about the lack of bonus point, but it's easy to forget the short turnaround Wales had for this game after one of the most intense games any of those players has ever been involved in. Fiji had one of the best games I've ever seen from them and were so exciting to watch with the amount of offloads and clever passes they put in. I was shocked Wales didn't concede more tries tbh, to be able to hold out those Fijian attacking moves when the game went loose is a testament to Wales' defence.

But a 10 point win after a 5 day turnaround isn't really anything to complain about. I read Sam Warburton said it was one of the hardest/most tiring matches he's ever been involved in, so that says a lot. You wouldn't have been able to tell he was tired tbh, he was everywhere and probably would have been my man of the match.

So the flipside to the short turnaround for Fiji is that we now have 8 days to prepare for the crunch against the Aussies, which is vital seeing as it might end up being the knockout game of Wales and Aus. I would make a couple of changes for this one. Lee should start, as soon as he came on the scrum was a bit more solid, though that might just be because the Fijians tired throughout the game. Charteris should start ahead of Davies, for his lineout work. I know Davies stole a couple, but I just feel that Wales' own lineout ball is more secure when Charteris is on the field. Tipuric should start ahead of Lydiate, mainly for the fact I'm sure we would all love to see Hooper/Pocock vs Tipuric/Warburton, but I think Tipuric is the type of player we need to combat Australia's amazing breakdown skills. If Liam Williams is fit I would slot him back in at fullback and shift Morgan onto the right wing. Matthew had a great game yesterday and I've always been a huge fan, but I do feel very nervous when he is the last man in defence and a 6 ft 5 monster is streaming towards him. I think on the wing he could flourish in the same manner that Shane did. Cuthbert didn't do anything to secure his place, he had a slightly better game, but still made stupid mistakes.

Couldn't agree more with this. I also hope Paul James is fit, and maybe Anscome and Hook on bench, and leave Cuthbert out of 22. If Liam is fit he can cover wing and Anscome and Hook can cover full back and wing.

I can't see gatland picking someone out of position although I'm sure any of the subs would do a better job there at the moment. Don't see why morgan doesn't go there, australia don't have massive wingers and will be a threat from anywhere, but is rather morgan be tackling than cuthbert. Just seemed to flounder around in defence yesterday

Just wish Eli walker was fit , is there a any chance he could get a call up if cuthbert suddenly got sick

Couldn't agree more with this. I also hope Paul James is fit, and maybe Anscome and Hook on bench, and leave Cuthbert out of 22. If Liam is fit he can cover wing and Anscome and Hook can cover full back and wing.

Yeah, definitely agree with this. I've been critical of Hook recently but his appearance from the bench was fine yesterday. Williams on the wing would potentially be a very shrewd move with Anscombe and Morgan in the squad...and I'm sure either of them could cover wing if the worst came to the worst. I think Gats will stick with Cuthbert but I'd be very happy if this happened...

Just wish Eli walker was fit , is there a any chance he could get a call up if cuthbert suddenly got sick

Haha just an unexpected bout of diarrhoea, nothing suspicious about it at all

So things we learn't from yesterdays game:

* We need Samson Lee back in the scrum.
* The Morgan boys look like good prospects
* Cuthbert shouldn't be anywhere near the starting squad at the moment. Morgan on the wing for me, and Williams if fit, if not then Hook/Anscome

I think if Australia win then it would be a great time to try a could of things out and rest Warburton/Wyn Jones and Roberts for me. Those guys have been colossus for us, but I feel Gatland just want to pick the strongest team now no matter what.

* Cuthbert shouldn't be anywhere near the starting squad at the moment. Morgan on the wing for me, and Williams if fit, if not then Hook/Anscome

I think if Australia win then it would be a great time to try a could of things out and rest Warburton/Wyn Jones and Roberts for me. Those guys have been colossus for us, but I feel Gatland just want to pick the strongest team now no matter what.

Yea I think he's just gonna go all out for every game, we simply can't rest players we have no depth at all

And to think GoodNumber10 was on here loads continually talking about he should be the choice as the starter because of his try scoring ratio. What a load of rubbish that was. He's been completely found out at international level.

Even if Australia win I think we should play our best side as topping the group would be our best chance of progressing through to the semis

How has it worked that a World Cup in England ends with Wales having home advantage and playing in Cardiff?[/QUOTE

Exactly as England did when Wales hosted, (It was only 1999 after all, mind you some people have short memories)
Wales also gave games to Ireland in Dublin and Scotland at Murrayfield.

Even if Australia win I think we should play our best side as topping the group would be our best chance of progressing through to the semis

the problem with that is that South Africa could be runners up of their pool. meaning we would face them if we top ours. it might be in our best intrest to come 2nd unless south africa top their pool

At first I thought Ma'afu was going overboard by giving the Welsh players **** after owning them at scrums. But then when you think about all the past games where he's been on the hiding end of scrums esp against Wales in 2010 its actually pretty funny haha

At first I thought Ma'afu was going overboard by giving the Welsh players **** after owning them at scrums. But then when you think about all the past games where he's been on the hiding end of scrums esp against Wales in 2010 its actually pretty funny haha

Yes the Fiji scrum is hugely improved , Robin mcbryde needs to sort it out , we got the weight but lacking technique

Latest posts