• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] France vs Scotland (Round 1)

Strong performance by Scotland, but too much talent in the French back line, it came through in the end.

....but you felt that Scotland never really looked likely winners even bearing in mind the usual French propensity to panic?

Scotland are better than before but if we are going to get big results and cause upsets then we need to cut out the errors, We only lost to France because off giving away stupid penalty's, it could have just been 12 - 8 but Dougie Fife did decide to through the ball away (stupid penalty to give away). For next week, Euan Murray wont be in the team (thank god after that performance) Beattie to be dropped (I really felt that he didn't play good at all) even though I think Denton is back for next week, not 100% sure aswell as Maitland to cover Seymour if he is not available.

So the people who need to get assessment for they're fitness for the Wales game are Mark Bennett (leg), Geoff Cross (leg), Alex Dunbar (neck/shoulder), Robert Harley (leg) and Alasdair Strokosch (leg). Don't know if Dunbar will manage as its a neck injury. But if he can't play then its fine because Matt Scott can replace him. but the rest I hope are available as we do need most off those players for next week if we are going to get revenge on Wales from the humiliation from the last six nations.

I didn't think Beattie was particularly bad...

Fife looked out of his depth, and Visser is still a defensive liability, but I don't think having Maitland and Seymour would have made any great difference. I was disappointed at the time, but hopeful we'll see some improved Scottish performances this year.

P.s. Enjoyed the Murray pun @ImScotty

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't think Beattie was particularly bad...

Fife looked out of his depth, and Visser is still a defensive liability, but I don't think having Maitland and Seymour would have made any great difference. I was disappointed at the time, but hopeful we'll see some improved Scottish performances this year.

P.s. Enjoyed the Murray pun @ImScotty
Beattie for me keeps knocking it on in the more crucial parts off the game. Well there would alot off players who would pass it to the winger there as it was just so obvious he was weak in the scrum at the end and i feel Geoff Cross is just better in my opinion.

Scotland were solid but need to cut out penalties ! France managed game well towards end but if ball just bounced right could have been a Scotland win.

Both teams have plenty to work on.

ImageUploadedByRugby Forum1423473026.375096.jpg

Question is rather: does PSA's team has a chance against Vern Cotter's one ?
If the FFR had had more brain than a mussel they would have given Cotter a castle to convince him to take St André 's job.
PSA already made me regret Lievremont, he 'll remain in french minds as probably the worst coach of the last 20 years.

Been saying it for years. Cotter might not have wanted the head coach position but he might have been tempted to work as an assistant or on a consultancy basis had they made him the right offer. But that would have taken foresight FFR just do not have...Theyll be stuck with very few top candidates to choose from come 2016. Their problem.

To take Kockott Who is less than average this year and did not prove anything when playing for France is beyond understanding.
Or, the situation of french rugby after years of Top 14 dominated by foreign players is actually worse than expected.

There is a real possibility that they hold on to Kockott and call back Tillous-Borde when fit again. In which case, unless Para gets enough game time off the bench, he could be out of the squad. If it wasn't for TB's injury Parra would not even be in the squad. He only makes the bench again when the team is crying out for his game management.
Parra does not get on with Saint-André. The team has been completely shorn of leaders. This is the most leaderless team I can recall in 20 yrs.

Also, they sent home all the young exciting backs: Dulin Fickou Nakaitaci

Personally I believe France will this year struggle to avoid the wooden spoon, which considering the progress of Scotland and Italy will be a hell of a challenge. .

I agree

Last edited:
Except that the rest of us all know you'll pull one ridiculous win out your hat! I'm praying it's this weekend at Dublin, otherwise I'm scared it might be us at Twickenham ...

To offer any real threat at Twickenham they would need to arrive there with at least 2 good wins (I was going to say 3 wins before yesterday...) under their belt to have some momentum and confidence to pull a decent performance agst Eng. At the moment they have neither. They're still in the starting blocks when it comes to this championship.

The win agst Sco didn't translate into confidence. We won but the negativity in the public, media was such that you'd swear we had lost (you should have seen the faces in the public after the game). And this is one of the curses of the Saint-André's era when the few victories are no longer sufficient to bounce off and get back in the game so to speak and get the "team" out of its rut.
A defeat agst WAL in Paris and the game will definitely be up for this group and the staff. They will crash and burn.

Only 2 wins next will do. Saint-André knows it. Doesn't matter how ugly we get as long as we scrape a win like agst SCO.

If they don't. The players will go into their shell because there's no leadership in the staff and among the players. The coach will spend more time deflecting the flak from the media instead of focusing on the job. The players will switch off and focus back on the upcoming fixtures with their club. They'll be mentally "out" for the last game.

They'd better start Parra next time and get FTD back once he is fit.

Parra has to start but i'm afraid FTD, you will have to wait a little longer he will be good for the WC barring any other injuries.

Latest posts