7 Brad Shields
6 Ardie Savea
5 James Broadhurst
4 Blade Thomson
3 Ben Franks
2 Dane Coles (c)
1 Reggie Goodes

Reserves:

16 Brayden Mitchell, 17 Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, 18 Chris Eves, 19 Mark Abbott, 20 Callum Gibbins, 21 TJ Perenara, 22 Matt Proctor,
23 Nehe Milner-Skudder

Venue : nib Stadium, Perth
Kick Off local: 19:40 local, 22:00 AEDT, 00:00* NZDT, 13:00 SAST
Referee: Marius van der Westhuizen
Assistant Ref 1:Angus Gardner
Assistant Ref 2:Graham Cooper
TMO : George Ayoub​

Last edited:
I tipped the Force for a win as I can see them playing cleverer than what the Lions and Bulls did who both should've/could've/would've beaten the 'Canes but for inept execution.

I think this one is about 50/50, the Hurricanes have won two games they probably shouldn't have, I'm hoping that's a sign they've grown into a good team. Last year I would have picked the Force, this year I'm not so sure!

I think this one is about 50/50, the Hurricanes have won two games they probably shouldn't have, I'm hoping that's a sign they've grown into a good team. Last year I would have picked the Force, this year I'm not so sure!

They pretty comprehensively beat the Lions, but I see your point. Tough one to call.

They pretty comprehensively beat the Lions, but I see your point. Tough one to call.

I haven't actually seen the full match, but from what I read the Lions had most of the stats in their favour but couldn't do much with the advantage they had - plus it looks like their kickers have been well below average this season.

I'd probably be more confident in the Hurricanes' chances of success this weekend if Coles wasn't captain, but maybe he'll surprise me!

Hurricanes: James Marshall, Cory Jane, Rey Lee-Lo, Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, Chris Smylie, Victor Vito, Brad Shields, Ardie Savea, James Broadhurst, Blade Thomson, Ben Franks, Dane Coles (c), Reggie Goodes. Reserves: Brayden Mitchell, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Chris Eves, Mark Abbott, Callum Gibbins, TJ Perenara, Matt Proctor, Nehe Milner-Skudder.

On the scoreboard, yes but that game was as much the Lions playing against themselves as it was good defense and taking their chances when it came from the Hurricanes. I'm not disputing the result at all here, just saying the Lions *could* easily have won that had Boshoff been on target and one thing went right for them on attack. All the Bulls needed was for Hattingh to do what every schoolbpy gets taught first up and that's how to get the ball down for a try. Credit to the Hurricanes though as they can only play what's in front of them and can't be blamed for their opponents mistakes and took their own chances well enough.

'Canes on their way home on the back of two gritty wins in SA, looking like they've got the savvy they are often missing, to go with their weaponry.

Madness not to fancy them to make it 3 on the road.

'Canes on their way home on the back of two gritty wins in SA, looking like they've got the savvy they are often missing, to go with their weaponry.

Madness not to fancy them to make it 3 on the road.

I'm not quite so sold. Their wins weren't exactly dynamic displays of rugby. They relied on a fair amount of luck and reasonable defense. The Western Force aren't the easy beats they were three or four seasons ago. They're also missing Conrad Smith for this match (a big part of their defense) - for Ray Lee-Lo, who unlike a lot of people I don't especially rate. Marshall is replacing Woodward as well, which will probably sure up the defense a bit (Woodward has missed a few key tackles), but will also probably blunt the attack a bit.

Can I draw everyone's attention to how right I was...

;)

Canes look great. Proper team.

the credit must go to plumtree... canes defence are pretty fantastic... in all 3 games basically... maybe in the bulls game it was a bit avg...

I stand corrected. A good old fashioned romp from the 'Canes. If anything they played the game like what I was expecting from Force; stiffle the opposition attack, play in the right area of the field and score off the pressure built up.

The Farce is back. Lots of noise at the nib stadium. Are there many Kiwis in Perth?

Last edited:
Just seen this after recording it earlier. Canes looked good, dangerous in attack and quality powerful defence. They gave away far too many penalties though, maybe just trying a little too hard to be aggressive and intense in defence and at the breakdown, they overdid it. I assume that other Savea is Julian's brother? He gave away at least three penalties on his own.

I thought Barrett looked very good although he probably had an easy ride and it doesn't necessarily mean much for his All Black chances (I prefer Cruden anyway myself) but his passing and running were all quality, as was his defence. McCalman one ray of light for Force - also that flyhalf looked promising, I'd like to see him with some better runners outside him, what's his story, is he a youngster?

Glad to be wrong. Thoroughly entertaining match (one of several last night). I was impressed with the work of Nehe Milner-Skudder when he was on. I was surprised to learn how few tries he scored in the ITM Cup last season considering he looked extremely dangerous every time he touched the ball, but he's one of those guys that certainly can create things from the back (as we saw when he set up the brilliant Savea try). Certainly wouldn't mind seeing him get a bit more time. Poor Luke Morahan got wrecked..

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to be wrong. Thoroughly entertaining match (one of several last night). I was impressed with the work of Nehe Milner-Skudder when he was on. I was surprised to learn how few tries he scored in the ITM Cup last season considering he looked extremely dangerous every time he touched the ball, but he's one of those guys that certainly can create things from the back (as we saw when he set up the brilliant Savea try). Certainly wouldn't mind seeing him get a bit more time. Poor Luke Morahan got wrecked..

Loved that try - esp. when they called him King Julian, because that's my cat's name. :)

das

Last edited by a moderator:
That try was quite something. I distinctly remember thinking when he got the ball that it was a chance ONLY because it was Savea. Maybe it's not true that he's the only player in the world who would've scored from there, but he's certainly the only one where I'd have seen it coming.

Glad I didn't agree with your tip, Force got thrashed :) happy about that ! guess they not so clever haha

- - - Updated - - -

TRF-stormer2010 You Keep Dreaming and when you wake THE HURRICANES WON !!!!! haha

Latest posts