• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 TRC] Australia v South Africa in Brisbane (18/07/2015)

When watching live I saw Toomua constantly straighten, but rarely thought it was the right choice. It's nice for a 12 to do, but it should be an option, not a constant.

I also think he got away with it a bit due to Kriel defending well. However I think on AAC's try you're being harsh. He had to commit to one of two players and Pollard wasn't close enough to cover.

so he commits to the player that is covered by Kriel and Pollard falls off AAC.

It may seem harsh but it's the reality of International Rugby.... that move was all about isolating De Allende.

- - - Updated - - -

When watching live I saw Toomua constantly straighten, but rarely thought it was the right choice. It's nice for a 12 to do, but it should be an option, not a constant.

Australia had been very lateral - with good reason - they needed to be more direct and challenge the Bok defenders instead of letting them drift onto the next man, and Toomua and Phipps brought that, running straight is what created Kuridrani's try.

so he commits to the player that is covered by Kriel and Pollard falls off AAC.

It may seem harsh but it's the reality of International Rugby.... that move was all about isolating De Allende.

- - - Updated - - -

Australia had been very lateral - with good reason - they needed to be more direct and challenge the Bok defenders instead of letting them drift onto the next man, and Toomua and Phipps brought that, running straight is what created Kuridrani's try.

AAC try.png

So for me what we see in the image above is Pollard-de Allende-Kriel all fairly evenly spaced. Cooper offloads the slightest moment before contact. de Allende has to make the choice of inside or outside man and the usual choice in outside and trust in the man behind you. Unfortunately doesn't work so well as Kriel was running back from covering a dummy runner.

Having said that, Kuridrani could have made it through as well instead of being a decoy as de Allende was too wide. Clearly thought the Wallabies were going to spread it wider.

- - - Updated - - -

With regards to Toomua, I get that. Running into 2 backrowers and ending up behind the gainline is not valuable at all. Phipps brought some clever straight running, challenging the defence not just trying to tank through a wall.

View attachment 3851

So for me what we see in the image above is Pollard-de Allende-Kriel all fairly evenly spaced. Cooper offloads the slightest moment before contact. de Allende has to make the choice of inside or outside man and the usual choice in outside and trust in the man behind you. Unfortunately doesn't work so well as Kriel was running back from covering a dummy runner.

Having said that, Kuridrani could have made it through as well instead of being a decoy as de Allende was too wide. Clearly thought the Wallabies were going to spread it wider.

- - - Updated - - -

With regards to Toomua, I get that. Running into 2 backrowers and ending up behind the gainline is not valuable at all. Phipps brought some clever straight running, challenging the defence not just trying to tank through a wall.

Kriel wasn't coming back from a dummy runner.

Set up was, 10 Giteau, 12 Kuridrani, cooper and AAC sat behind Giteau. Folau is covered by JP as you can see in your picture.

Giteau takes ball and holds Pollard, Kuridrani runs an unders line and makes De Allende sit down but importantly not commit to the contact.... Cooper slides behind Kuridrani and takes screened pass from Giteau, De Allende instead of holding he channel chases Cooper who is covered by an inward facing Kriel and leaves inside gap for AAC - Pollard gets there yes and falls of the tackle as he's so late - he's done his job though and is covering for De Allendes panicked defence.

It's absolutely De Allende's fault, and throughout that first 30 minutes they targeted him.

***check your PM have sent you something...

Last edited:
Kriel wasn't coming back from a Dummy runner.

Set up was, 10 Giteau, 12 Kuridrani, cooper and AAC sat behind Giteau. Folau is covered by JP as you can see in your picture.

Giteau takes ball and holds Pollard, Kuridrani runs unders line and makes De Allende sit down but importantly not commit to the contact.... Cooper slides behind Kuridrani and takes screened pass from Giteau, De Allende instead of holding he channel chases Cooper who is covered by an inward facing Kriel and leaves inside gap for AAC - Pollard gets there yes and falls of the tackle as he's so late - he's done his job though and is covering for De Allendes panicked defence.

It's absolutely De Allende's faul, and throughout that first 30 minutes they targeted him.

In the interest of keeping evidence until someone uploads it as a short clip this is the bit you're talking about initially:

AAC try 2.png

You can see that SA are outnumbered on the inside. Pollard covers Giteau, De Allende MUST cover Kuridrani. He then converts to following the man who was in front (Cooper) assuming the man inside him will cover. I think it was a 50/50 which he got wrong. Very clever play by Australia either way.

In the interest of keeping evidence until someone uploads it as a short clip this is the bit you're talking about initially:

View attachment 3852

You can see that SA are outnumbered on the inside. Pollard covers Giteau, De Allende MUST cover Kuridrani. He then converts to following the man who was in front (Cooper) assuming the man inside him will cover. I think it was a 50/50 which he got wrong. Very clever play by Australia either way.

Still pictures don't really tell the full story... as i said check your PM have sent you a link...

Cooper is also very clever by keeping his body facing Kriel. His hips and head both indicate he will try to beat Kriel and then pops the offload to AAC. Not sure I'd label de Allende a bad defender off that, it was a great attacking set piece.

Latest posts