2016 Olympic Games, Rio

SelimNiai

'Ark at ee mun!
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Bristol
Starts tonight.

The absense of a thread until now I think sums up the build up. I love the Olympics, but I am finding it very tough to get hyped for this one. Theres just been too much negative stories in the build up, Zika, costs, low ticket sales before and now drug scandals (though thats not exactly new) and problems with athletes now either getting into trouble or being targeted by theives and other shady antics.

The sports fan in me hopes once the competition gets underway I'll enjoy it more but I'm not hopeful.

How you you guys feel about it.

The issue is and I'm incredibly biased having been volunteer at the last one is it's very hard to get hyped up as a nation after you just hosted it yourself. The euphoria of doing so just isn't the same thing at all. Coupled with difficult viewing times (a lot of finals are going to well past midnight) and you really need to a fan to really get into it.

Remember the public were finding it hard to get excited before we hosted it until it all kicked off properly.

I'm hoping it will change a bit once everything gets underway but I can't say I'm excited as I was 4 years ago by any stretch of the imagination. Still it's my favourite sporting event so I suspect after watching the opening ceremony tonight I'm in for a lot of sleepless night the coming 2 weeks.

it doesnt seem as hyped this time. i know we were hosting last so obviously there would be more promotion but theres almost nothing this time. no support Team GB on chocolate bars etc. as OP said most of the stuff has been about scandel in Rio rather than getting hyped for it. im excited for Team GB sevens even though im not a big sevens fan it will be awesome to see it at the olympics

Thats a fair point about going from hosting to just participating. And agree with the timings but again thats nothing new, and the Beeb will be all over it with their excellent coverage so important things wont be missed, no excuse with iplayer, the sport website etc.

I'll stay up to see the opening ceremony, hoping that kickstarts the excitement for me

And agree with the timings but again thats nothing new
China was easier main events were during the day it made it slightly difficult with work but at least most people were awake.

Then it's Greece which again was pretty easy in the UK to watch.

You have to go back to 2000 and Sydney the last time the games were a real problems to watch I only really remember Redgrave's endeavours and Cathy Freeman.

We were rubbish at Atlanta and I barely remember it at all (also again rubbish timings for an 11 year old) and Barcelona was the one that kick-started my love affair with the games. I was way too young for Seoul and La was a couple months before I was born.

Sydney was tough, was usually on as I was getting ready for school and watched it then, invariably making me late for the bus. Difference here will be the volume of coverage, then if you missed live more often than not that was it. That wont be so much an issue now. I expect I'll watch it and wake up later with laptop and/or TV still on!

Sydney was tough, was usually on as I was getting ready for school and watched it then, invariably making me late for the bus. Difference here will be the volume of coverage, then if you missed live more often than not that was it. That wont be so much an issue now. I expect I'll watch it and wake up later with laptop and/or TV still on!
Yup I got into trouble with my year head (A PE teacher!) for turning up late to school one day I was enticed watching the Badminton. The interweb is trying to tell me it wasn't Gail Emms and Nathan Robertson but as I wasn't at school during the Manchester commonwealth games (which I went to watch and I was definitely at College) so it may have been a different British team....must of been Joanne Goode & Simon Archer.

Yeah I think Emms and Robertson were Athens and Bejiing. Trying to think of my earliest Olymic memory, I thought it was Jonathan Edwards triple jump records but turns out that was the year before so it would be watching Michael Johnson's 200 and 400m Golds. Didnt really understand the significance being nearly 8 at the time but it stuck.

Used to love the Olympics but you are not sure that what you are watching is real any more. Enhanced by the fact that through cowardice and greed too many Russian cheats will be competing....

Interesting that it was a Russian who killed the guy in the first reported attempted robbery. This was quickly followed by a Moroccan boxer arrested for alleged attempted double rape!!

The games have not even started and have not mentioned incomplete building work, pollution and sewage yet the opening ceremony now just hours away will be high on green and the environment.

Sorry - This Olympics to me means corruption, drugs, poverty being exacerbated, greed and globalization at its worst....

My last post on this event I promise!!

Despite everything I'm still pretty excited by it.

Really excited about this.

Now it's about to start i'll put all the baggage and crap behind me for now.

Got my Schedule sorted for Tomorrow pretty much.

I haven't gotten into this one yet; it just seems to have been about all the worst aspects of globalisation and corruption so far.
Opening ceremony tonight; but work tomorrow means I'm unlikely to catch any of it today.

I'm sure that once the sport actually starts, it'll reel me in nicely - I have tried to set series link for the Beeb's prinicipal broadcasts, and obviously I'll hunt out individual sports I want to follow.

Yeh I will prob try and stay up for the bulk of the opening ceremony but not to fused.

Main ones i'm aiming for are
Rowing
Rugby 7's
Swimming

With the switching between Womens volleyball, Gymnastics and the Road Race (will also watch the medal events for Archery etc) on my second screen.

Just a shame the Swimming stuff is on so late.

Used to love the Olympics but you are not sure that what you are watching is real any more.

Any more?

Drugs have been a major part of the Olympic sports since the 60's at least.

I've said it before, but I'm not bothered about the drugs in the slightest.

I love the Olympics.

The drugs scandal, pro boxers being allowed to compete in an amateur format, golf (despite the fact I'm a huge fan) being there and the incompetent hosts...

Not a huge fan of the Olympics but usually tune in a wee bit, this'll likely pass me by barring maybe an Irish gold medal fight or something.

I've always loved the Olympics, but the older I get the less excited I am, having seen plenty already. Rugby in the Olympics suddenly has me excited again, but only for rugby. Once rugby is done, I'm not sure how I'll feel about the rest. If the USA wins a rugby medal, it will probably help me get more excited about the rest.

Looking forward to all the cycling, especially Laura Trott in the Omnium.
Can't see GB winning the road race tomorrow unless G and Cummings go for a long one. (Have the feeling it'll be another 'we don't care who wins as long as it isn't the Brits' from most of the nations)
Otherwise, Usain Bolt is always a draw, and would love Jess Ennis to win the Heptathlon.
Usually interested in the rowing and sailing, but as they're still pumping sewage directly into the water (allegedly), I'll be more interested in who makes it back in 1 piece.

My greatest hope for this Olympics is for Sepultura to play a part in the opening ceremony.

Usually interested in the rowing and sailing, but as they're still pumping sewage directly into the water (allegedly), I'll be more interested in who makes it back in 1 piece.

8.png

Latest posts