• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016 Olympic Games, Rio

because it's the most important basektball tournament for national teams

And?

It isn't the pinnacle for the sport, IMO the olympics needs to be the Pinnacle for the sport not just national teams, and if the best players don't care that much about it how can it possibly be seen otherwise. It's a waste of a spot IMO.

i'd say for the overwhelming number of players in the basketball tournament this is the pinnacle of their sport

because it's the most important basektball tournament for national teams
Nope international sport has to the top for the players.

You go talk to a Premier League, La Liga, Serie A or Bundesliga. If they'd trade all their national and European Championships for a World Cup win and they'd say all say yes.

- - - Updated - - -

i'd say for the overwhelming number of players in the basketball tournament this is the pinnacle of their sport
Yeah buts it's not for the majority of potential gold.medal winners. Best of the reSt isn't good enough for the Olympics.

For other sports they train 4 years for this and only this. Other tournaments are missed for their one opportunity. Basketball and Football make a mockery of that.

Again i disagree ask any pro Basketball player what would be bigger playing in the Olympics or playing in the NBA.

I would say 80% would say NBA IMO.

why because the Best player play in the NBA

This made me laugh

CpW9YZjWYAAmrJK.jpg

brazilians are asking for an olympic truce.
Hell no.
No punching, no fighting, of course, but rivalry has its place and i for one, love it. I find the offer so humiliating i'd place it besides the 7-1 from last WC.

i guess we're just gonna disagree cause i see a difference between international and club sport and you guys don't

i guess we're just gonna disagree cause i see a difference between international and club sport and you guys don't

I see it.

But they are the same Sport, the olympics isn't meant to be a world cup it is meant to be THE olympics the pinnacle of the SPORT.

Yup it's cultural thing European consider international honours above all else. Americans think club level is equal and they are not.

I think it's different in Ice Hockey but that's mainly played by Canadians.

- - - Updated - - -

Essentially look at Rugby or Cricket which is clear in European philosophy you play at Club level to prove yourself for international honours.

This made me laugh

brazilians are asking for an olympic truce.
Hell no.
No punching, no fighting, of course, but rivalry has its place and i for one, love it. I find the offer so humiliating i'd place it besides the 7-1 from last WC.

The point is that there's actually been punching and fighting.

I think that the pinnacle is the tournament every top player is willing to give up the most to win.

Most top players (Federer excluded) will only have three oportunities at most in their lifetime to compete with chances at an olympic event, and that's why they want to win it so badly.

If the prize is Olympic Gold, then Federer has already won one in the Doubles in 2008. Players play both singles, doubles to win a medal at the Olympics. On the men's side the top players, in today's game now would never play doubles, if they are in contention to win the singles in the Grand Slams I.e. They give up playing the doubles to give them the best chance to win the singles.

For me the Pinnacle is the very top, the highest honour in the sport I.e. The Apex. The Olympics clearly are for track and field, Swimming, table tennis. It is just not the case for tennis otherwise it would A) be played in Grand Slam format over 2 weeks b) would hold ranking points ( the last Olympics tennis did, but not this one). The four Grand Slams are the pinnacle for tennis, as the Golf Majors are for Golf. It has to be the toughest and against the very best the sport has to offer - for tennis the Grand Slams offer this.

Yup it's cultural thing European consider international honours above all else. Americans think club level is equal and they are not.

Thing is, in the US they play these sports that are secondary elsewhere in the world, only basketball is somewhat popular in Europe, American Football and Baseball are almost non existant elsewhere.

So you come to a point where 19 of the 20 best players in the world of a sport play for the US. Then what is the point of international play?

I'd argue that the US women soccer team is a lot more important to the US than their soccer league. because these women actually have someone to play against that matches them, and they win more often than not representing their country internationally.

Last edited:
I know, i've seen the video. I'm not advocating violence. The Argentine guy involved was a moron, by any definition, and if it were up to me, i'd make him spend the night in jail just to make an example out of him, but asking the rest of the world to adjust their behaviour because of one idiot is a stretch. In Spanish terms, es nivelar para abajo. You can enjoy rivalry without behaving like a ****.
I was there in 2014's WC and loved being in a stadium packed by brazilians cheering for Switzerland, Belgium, NL, Germany. Would have enjoyed considerably less if it weren't for that.

If the prize is Olympic Gold, then Federer has already won one in the Doubles in 2008. Players play both singles, doubles to win a medal at the Olympics. On the men's side the top players, in today's game now would never play doubles, if they are in contention to win the singles in the Grand Slams I.e. They give up playing the doubles to give them the best chance to win the singles.

So you are saying that winning an olympic medal is so important for them that they give out an effort they are not willing to give in the Grand Slams... I wonder why that is...

- - - Updated - - -

I know, i've seen the video. I'm not advocating violence. The Argentine guy involved was a moron, by any definition, and if it were up to me, i'd make him spend the night in jail just to make an example out of him, but asking the rest of the world to adjust their behaviour because of one idiot is a stretch. In Spanish terms, es nivelar para abajo. You can enjoy rivalry without behaving like a ****.

The point is that a line has been crossed, and it needs to be dealt with somehow. SAying that calling for a truce is as embarassing as the 7-1 is, well, basically the opposite of what is needed.

So you are saying that winning an olympic medal is so important for them that they give out an effort they are not willing to give in the Grand Slams... I wonder why that is...
Because Djokovic has won grand slams and hasn't won the Olympics singles medal. Again, ask any player who hasn't won or ask kids who are starting to play tennis, and 100 out of a 100 will tell you that their dream is to win a Grand Slam, maybe an odd one out will mention the Davis cup, but no one will mention the Olympic games.

By the way, Etchart and Rojas' injuries confirmed. They're out.

- - - Updated - - -

The point is that a line has been crossed, and it needs to be dealt with somehow.
Agreed. I just disagree on how to deal with it.

Right now I am feeling very bitter about the New Zealand's sevens setup. Even if we manage to now get through, we surely don't deserve the medal based on the effort of the NZRU.

Right now I am feeling very bitter about the New Zealand's sevens setup. Even if we manage to now get through, we surely don't deserve the medal based on the effort of the NZRU.

What are you referring to?

SBW confirmed out with an Achilles rupture.

can't get over Joubert. what the hack is going in with this.guy! never seen something like this before. Damm! que bombero hijojodeputaaa

Latest posts