• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Rugby Championship] Argentina vs New Zealand (02/10/2016)

New Zealand: 15 Ben Smith, 14 Israel Dagg, 13 Anton Lienert-Brown, 12 Ryan Crotty, 11 Julian Savea, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 TJ Perenara, 8 Kieran Read (c) 7 Ardie Savea, 6 Liam Squire, 5 Brodie Retallick, 4 Patrick Tuipulotu, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Dane Coles, 1 Joe Moody

Replacements: 16 Codie Taylor, 17 Wyatt Crockett, 18 Ofa Tu'ungafasi, 19 Samuel Whitelock, 20 Elliot Dixon, 21 Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 22 Lima Sopoaga, 23 Damian McKenzie

Really?
Is that the team?
Isn't that a little ... cavalier?

Larksea you bugger, have you got a hotline to Hansen? ;)

I really hope they are not taking the Pumas too lightly because the Pumas are a dangerous outfit especially at home.

I actually think that's a pretty strong team, that backline is world class and the forward pack is pretty damn good.

Nice to see Squire selected, I thought he was the best choice over Dixon , Tuipulotu is a good choice as well, people wanting to see him for a while now.

The backline reserves are potentially the weak point, 2 players not having had any real game time at this level and one who hasn;t played a lot lately. Also Dixon over Todd seems odd, given I am not sure that Savea will do a good 80 minutes.

Apart from those few bench concerns the team is still quite strong, the big thing is which Argentina team turns up, even a full strength Argentina team ready to splay will find this challenging.

Good to see McKenzie squeaking into the team. I think he'll have won the starting position by the next RWC and this is the first small step on that journey. First XV looks rock solid to me.

yeah I know Ive been calling for it, its nice to see us resting a couple of guys and giving a few new guys a chance.

Its pretty clear now that Squire is preferred to Dixon. The big question really. Is the selection battle between Squire and Dixon going to amount to anything with Ioane almost a dead cert inevitability anyway. One gets the feeling that when he finally gets his chance hes going to become a permanent fixture. I also think its a matter of time before Brad Shields gets a shot as well.

TJP fully deserves his start. Aaron Smith has been in superb form but I would say that Perenara has been even better this year. Not only has his general halfback play been on point but he has very much been like an extra loose forward. Hes come up with some extremely physical play for a halfback. Heck in that last yest with Argentina did anyone see when Creevy won a breakdown turnover Perenara dived at him and striped the ball straight off him with brute force? Phenominal play, for the hurricanes as well hes basically been a halfback and an extra open side flanker, he's been tackling like a flanker as well.

Again harps back to Gatland saying that Smith was our best player and that we would struggle without him. I completely disagree, though smith is fantastic yes. I think we have 4 world class halfbacks in NZ, and IMO Perenara is pretty much on a level with smith.

I'm glad Tuipulotu is getting a run, Romano has been ok(?) but I don't think hes in our top 5 locks right now and I dont think hes a long term option either.

Finally get to see McKenzie get a run.

Anton Lienert-Brown clearly has the form edge over Fekitoa right now but with he and Crotty in midfield we lack that punch we get from usually having 1 genuinely big guy in midfield. But it has to be said Fekitoa hasn't been breaking a lot of tackles or attracting a lot of defenders, his defense I think has been very good and he has clearly improved that area. But on attack he generally makes bad decisions. ALB will make better decisions, and although he wont bust tackles with physicality he is fast, he has a great swerve and step and he can pass and offload. So given the chance we will make things happen on attack. Where with Fekitoa generally play has been breaking down when he gets the ball.

Good to see Ofa get in too. I get the feeling hes not really rated in NZ and hes generally slipping under the radar. But the reality is that Charlie Faumuina is off to France soon on a 3 year contract. so this will probably be his last series as an All Black which is big because hes actually become a very important player for us... Ofa is 24 and I think hes actually developing very well for his age, good ball carrier, defender and generally good around the field. His scrummaging is clearly his work-on but you would have to say it will be good for him to be in the squad right now learning from the coaches and players. Nepo Laulala turned out to be a bit of a revelation last year but we really don't know how he will come back from injury. Ofa is clearly a long term prospect.

Argentina's line up

Starting XV: Tetaz, Creevy, herrera, Petti, Alemanno, Matera, Ortega Dessio, Isa, Landajo, Sanchez, Moyano, G. Iglesias, Morono, Cordero, Tuculet

Subs: Montoya, Noguera, Pieretto, Leguizamon, Senatore, Cubelli, de la Fuente, Orlando

Argentina's line up

Starting XV: Tetaz, Creevy, herrera, Petti, Alemanno, Matera, Ortega Dessio, Isa, Landajo, Sanchez, Moyano, G. Iglesias, Morono, Cordero, Tuculet

Subs: Montoya, Noguera, Pieretto, Leguizamon, Senatore, Cubelli, de la Fuente, Orlando

our backline is made of midjets we need more kgms if we wanna stop saveas..

6 cm 10K omg!
ab

15 Ben Smith
: 1,87 m 91 kg,
14 Israel Dagg:
1,85 m 96 kg,
13 Anton Lienert-Brown :
1,85 m 96 kg,
12 Ryan Crotty
: 1,81 m 92 kg,
11 Julian Savea
1,92 m103 kg
10 Beauden Barrett
: 1,87 m 92 kg
9 TJ Perenara, 1,84 m 94 kg
av 1.858 mts 94.8

pumas
Martin Landajo, 1
,75 mts 82 kg
Nico Sanchez 1,77 83 kg
Ramiro Moyano 1.80 86
santiagoG. Iglesias
1,79 87 kg
Matias Moroni, 1,85 84 kg
Santiago Cordero 1,75 m 83 kg
Joaquin Tuculet 1,84 m 92 kg

av 1.79 mts 85kg

If Brad Shields was going to be an All Black, it would have already have happened tbh. He had that really good season two or three seasons ago, where people were wondering if he'd make it and didn't.

Look for McKenzie to start his Barrett-like impact off the bench. This is it boys.

If Brad Shields was going to be an All Black, it would have already have happened tbh. He had that really good season two or three seasons ago, where people were wondering if he'd make it and didn't.

Look for McKenzie to start his Barrett-like impact off the bench. This is it boys.

Shields is still only 25. Dixon's what 27? 28? And still only became an All Black this year. With Kaino getting old, I'd have thought it would only take a good season from Shields and a somewhat lack-lustre one from Ioane to see Shields as 1st or 2nd choice 6 post-Lions tour. I also reckon, regarding Ioane, that he'll be used more as a successor to Read rather than a permanent 6, leaving that shirt somewhat open for Shields and Dixon/Squire to battle for.

TJP fully deserves his start. Aaron Smith has been in superb form but I would say that Perenara has been even better this year. Not only has his general halfback play been on point but he has very much been like an extra loose forward. Hes come up with some extremely physical play for a halfback. Heck in that last yest with Argentina did anyone see when Creevy won a breakdown turnover Perenara dived at him and striped the ball straight off him with brute force? Phenominal play, for the hurricanes as well hes basically been a halfback and an extra open side flanker, he's been tackling like a flanker as well.

Erm if i thinking of the same play i seem to remember Creevy winning it, and as he attempted to pass it out Perenara managed to dive over the ruck and flick it back to Kieran Read - more of an intercept than a strip..... Still phenomenal play though, yes.

Shields is still only 25. Dixon's what 27? 28? And still only became an All Black this year. With Kaino getting old, I'd have thought it would only take a good season from Shields and a somewhat lack-lustre one from Ioane to see Shields as 1st or 2nd choice 6 post-Lions tour. I also reckon, regarding Ioane, that he'll be used more as a successor to Read rather than a permanent 6, leaving that shirt somewhat open for Shields and Dixon/Squire to battle for.

bloody hell, how do you know so much about Kiwi rugby? o_O

6 cm 10K omg!
ab

15 Ben Smith
: 1,87 m 91 kg,
14 Israel Dagg:
1,85 m 96 kg,
13 Anton Lienert-Brown :
1,85 m 96 kg,
12 Ryan Crotty
: 1,81 m 92 kg,
11 Julian Savea
1,92 m103 kg
10 Beauden Barrett
: 1,87 m 92 kg
9 TJ Perenara, 1,84 m 94 kg
av 1.858 mts 94.8

pumas
Martin Landajo, 1
,75 mts 82 kg
Nico Sanchez 1,77 83 kg
Ramiro Moyano 1.80 86
santiagoG. Iglesias
1,79 87 kg
Matias Moroni, 1,85 84 kg
Santiago Cordero 1,75 m 83 kg
Joaquin Tuculet 1,84 m 92 kg

av 1.79 mts 85kg

With a username of petite is haven thought you'd like a team of smaller guys. Even the NZ scrum half weighs more than any of your backs!?? I hadn't thought of height and weight before but a big differential like that must have an influence in the game. Pumas may tire quicker in contact and obviously may struggle with high balls.

Last edited:
Wikipedia

lol
Very good.
(Ya bloody cheat ;-) )

On viewing the team again, I am worried there are too many young fellas and the midfield lacks power in defence.
I am worried.
The Pumas at home are a beast of a team and they could roll this line up from the AB's.

Argentina's line up

Not bad. But I think that our backline lacks of some fire. I would prefer to see De la Fuente instead of Iglesias, but I guess he is still not ready for starting.

ABs by 10+

Argentina must really give absolutely everything. They won't have a better chance to do so.

Lets see if NZ can beat their own record... finally. Or will they stuff it up again.

Latest posts