Outgoing
Ben Franks (Overseas)
Jeremy Thrush (Overseas)
Chris Smylie (Overseas)
Ma'a Nonu (Overseas)
Rey Lee-Lo (Overseas)
Conrad Smith (Overseas)

Last edited:
Yeah, it's been talked about for a wee while. Not surprised to see him go - probably a good career move.

With Cruden and Damien locking in 10, plus Horrell who can cover as well he was always going to struggle for game time, can't blame him tbh.

one that seems to have slipped under the cracks but I heard Justin Marshall mention was Nepo Lalaula to the chiefs.

Can anyone confirm?? I'd have him starting over Ben Tameifuna by a country mile, if the fat man is even sticking around.

Waiting for those blues transfers!!! common a loosehead prop and a experienced back. Come join the roller coaster.. roller coasters are fun!

I heard that too. Was reported by stuff.

Makes sense as it looks like Tameifuna is heading to Racing Metro.

Another guy I wish was heading to the Canes, with Ben Franks leaving.

Last edited:
The Crusaders have announced the signing of Marty McKenzie, who'll compete with Richie Mo'unga and Ben Volavola for the 10 jersey. All three players have potential, but all three players lack any sort of proven experience.

Bit disappointed to see him leaving the Chiefs but with Cruden and Damien locked in for the long term I don't think Marty would be seeing much game time!

Marty McKenzie has been confirmed as a Crusader for the 2016 Super Rugby season after completing his move from the Chiefs.
McKenzie is one of three players who will fight it out for the No 10 jersey at the decorated franchise, with Ben Volavola and Richie Mo'unga the other first fives on the 2016 roster, replacing the departed Dan Carter, Colin Slade and Tom Taylor.

Born and raised in Southland, McKenzie moved from Gore High School to Christchurch's Christ's College for years 12 and 13 and played in their first XV for both seasons. He then returned south to make his ITM Cup debut for Southland in 2011.

In 2013 he was contracted by the Blues and in 2014 made the New Zealand Sevens team and helped Taranaki to their ITM Cup Premiership ***le.

In 2015 he joined his brother, Damien, at the Chiefs.

"One of Marty's strengths is his versatility, with the ability to play almost anywhere in the backline as well as kick goals," Crusaders head coach Todd Blackadder said.

"We see him primarily as a first five and know that he is keen to get more playing time in that position. He was outstanding at first five for Taranaki last season and, at just 22 years of age, there is plenty of untapped potential in him yet."

Mo'unga, meanwhile, has been contracted to the full squad after spending a season developing his trade in the Crusaders Wider Training Group.

"We've been watching Richie develop since he was representing St Andrew's College in the Crusaders region secondary schools competition," Blackadder said. "It was clear then and it still is now that he is a special talent and we look forward to helping him continue to grow his game and build his experience."

Volavola is moving from the Waratahs to join the Crusaders next season.

"We are excited about the potential we can see in Ben," Blackadder noted. "He has all of the makings of a great player and is itching to get some more game time to show what he's got. Ben is in Fiji at the moment training alongside Nemani Nadolo to try and earn a spot in the Fijian Flyers Rugby World Cup squad, so he will have at least one familiar face here when he joins us next year."

I thought Tom Marshall said he was going to stay in NZ and fight for an AB spot?

Highlanders

Outgoing:

Nasi Manu (Edinburgh)

Chiefs and Blues are getting hit hard by the overseas drain this time around

Should also be mentioned that the chiefs will probably be without Messam & SBW because of 7's and the Olympics.

Chiefs losses somewhat offset by the signings of Bird & Laulala which are quite frankly superb signings. But there is still a lot of work to do.

Crusaders biggest problem is that they are losing all their options for first five in one foul swoop. Though interestingly McCaw is not a sure thing to retire yet, it seems like he could very well be back for the Crusaders next year!? What are the chances of him delaying his retirement till the lions tour?

Hurricanes are losing big as well, smith & Nonu going is the end of an Era for both the canes and NZ rugby as a whole. They will also lose Ben Franks & Thrush, you would expect they can cover that but the combined leadership loss is significant. They still have a solid core of stars like Coles, Broadhurst, shields, Vito, TJP, barrett the savea brothers and Skudder. They will survive but need to find a really good midfield to challenge for the ***le.

Highlanders seem to be sitting rather pretty which will be a worry for the all opposition, Aaron Smith is looking like the type of player that could win multiple super ***les.

The Crusaders should have tried to lock in more Tasman Makos players ... The Chiefs and the Highlanders have been the main beneficiaries of their ITM cup success

The Crusaders should have tried to lock in more Tasman Makos players ... The Chiefs and the Highlanders have been the main beneficiaries of their ITM cup success

Yup but retaining McCaw and Carter costs money, so not a lot in the pot maybe.

Yup but retaining McCaw and Carter costs money, so not a lot in the pot maybe.

I could be wrong, but I think a lot of the wages for those two, comes directly from the NZ Rugby.

Im just a little disappointed that the Crusaders have struggled to break the game line at times over the past couple of seasons, and then I see the likes of James Lowe, Bryce Heem, and to a lesser extent, Tom Marshall, doing it for the Chiefs.

The champion Highlanders have a few Makos in their team too ... I would love to see Marty Banks get regular game time for any team; he could fill a slot at 10 for the Crusaders

George Leitch is joining the Japanese team ain't he?

Michael Leitch? No, he's re-signed for the Chiefs.

That's good for them. Soften the blow of Messam playing 7s. Leitch had a good season.

I can imagine all the franchises are keeping a big eye on the ITM this year, there's a lot of holes to be filled.

Has Messam confirmed he is chasing a sevens spot?

Not certain if it's been confirmed, but I know for a fact that he is regardless. But because he's been part of the set up before he won't be out for as long as someone like SBW.

The Chiefs look like they'll be the strongest team next season, even with the loss of a few players. The Crusaders only really have a weakness at first five while the Hurricanes will need to make sure they can get a strong midfield pairing. The Blues will be rebuilding (again) and the Highlanders should be much the same as this year.

A team of the below would still be amongst the best in the competition - it will just depend on injuries.

1 Graham/Manu
2 Elliot
3 Laulala
4 Bird
5 Retallick
6 Leitch (Messam mainly)
7 Cane
8 Squire
9 Kerr-Barlow
10 Cruden
11 Lowe
12 Ngatai
13 Tamanivalu
14 Nanai-Williams
15 Horrell

16 Harris
17 Manu/Graham
18 Tokolahi
19 Allardice
20 Bardoul
21 Weber/Pulu
22 McKenzie
23 Lienert-Brown

Is SBW doing anything next season? I know he's gone counties for the ITM is he doing anything after that?

He's probably joining the cricket team, not got many sports left..

Is SBW doing anything next season? I know he's gone counties for the ITM is he doing anything after that?

He's probably joining the cricket team, not got many sports left..

Word on the street is he is interested in 7's and going to the Olympics.

Latest posts