Club or Nation
Stormers
Super%20Rugby.png

Stormers.png
Versus%20Super.png
Chiefs.png

Date : Saturday 23 July
Venue : Newlands, Cape Town
Kick Off local: 19.00 (GMT 17.00/ NZ Sun 5.00 AM / Aus Sun 3.00 AM / 19.00)

Referee:[FONT=&amp]Jaco Peyper[/FONT]
Assistant Referees:[FONT=&amp]Jaco van Heerden, AJ Jacobs[/FONT]
TMO: [FONT=&amp]Johan Greeff

[/FONT]
Teams:
Stormers
15 Jaco Taute, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Huw Jones, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Leolin Zas, 10 Robert du Preez, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Schalk Burger (co-captain), 7 Siya Kolisi, 6 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Eben Ezebeth, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Alistair Vermaak.
Substitutes: 16 Scarra Ntubeni, 17 Oli Kebble, 18 Frans Malherbe (co-captain), 19 JD Schickerling, 20 Rynhardt Elstadt, 21 Nizaam Carr, 22 Louis Schreuder, 23 Brandon Thomson
Chiefs
TBA

Last edited:
I'd have been a lot more confident if Jean-Luc du Plessis didn't do in his ankle. Whats worse is that this was against the Kings with the QF already sewn up. I don't blame the selections; you can't forsee who is going to get injured. At least our locks and Kolisi should be rested. Those boys have been playing a lot of rugby between SR and the June tests.

Our pack is pretty settled. De Allende seems to be getting better each game. Jones has locked down the outside center spot surely. Though they are 2nd stringers our outside backs and scrum halves have gotten us this far. A bit of luck and we could go one further. I know this kid Thomson. Hopefully he can step in but man, have we been unlucky at 10. Even if Rob du Preez were fit he probably can't play because I think he only had 2 or 3 games under the belt before injury earlier in the season. But all in all we can't complain. We knew from the get-go we were probably gonna lose De Jongh to 7s and surely lose Senatla and Kolbe to 7s. Hendricks' illness came to light before the season started as well so to get here with an injury crisis in only one position is pretty good for the Stormers TBH.

Messam is not eligible to play knockout games, didn't play the required 4 regular season games so not sure why he traveled.

Traveling Squad

FORWARDS

Kane Hames
Mitchell Graham
Atu Moli
Siegfried Fisi'ihoi
Siate Tokolahi
Hika Elliot
Nathan Harris
Dominic Bird
Brodie Retallick
Lachlan Boshier
Tom Sanders
Sam Cane
Taleni Seu
Liam Messam

BACKS
Tawera Kerr-Barlow
Brad Weber
Aaron Cruden
James Lowe
Damian McKenzie
Anton Lienert-Brown
Stephen Donald
Sam McNicol
Sam Vaka
Toni Pulu
Shaun Stevenson

Not considered for selection: Nepo Laulala, Mitchell Karpik, Pauliasi Manu, Sam Henwood, Johan Bardoul, Glen Fisiiahi, Maama Vaipulu, Michael Allardice, Michael Leitch, James Tucker, Charlie Ngatai, Seta Tamanivalu, Andrew Horrell, Hiroshi Yama****a, Augustine Pulu (All Blacks Sevens).

Messam is not eligible to play knockout games, didn't play the required 4 regular season games so not sure why he traveled.

The Chiefs have proven time and again that they dont think rules apply to them so I dont see why the surprise.

And Messam can only blame himself. I said as soon as he announced he was going for the olympics that he would struggle to make that team. Dumbest move iv seen of any established AB in a long while... except perhaps Piutau.

Messam is probably traveling along on the basis that the Chiefs will be applying for special dispensation. I know the Sharks are applying for WP lock Ruan Botha to be available to them and the Stormers are looking to ask for Scott van Breda (an uncontracted utility back) to be available for our bench. We have so many players in the backline unavaiable at 10 and in the outside backs we don't have anyone left for the bench. At 10 we've lost Rob du Preez, Kurt Coleman, Dillyn Lleyds and Jean-Luc du Plessis. Rookie Rob Thomson will probably start at 10 for us but we don't have someone to field for the bench to cover 10 in our squad. Outside backs we're without all of Cheslin Kolbe, Dillyn Lleyds, Seabelo Senatla and Cornal Hendricks.

I have no idea what to expect this match. The Stormers havn't faced any of the NZ sides. We've lost to both the Lions and Sharks by a 7 and 5 point margin respectively. the Chiefs beat the Sharks at home by 2 while the Lions beat the Chiefs by 4 (possibly helped a bit?), both in Hamilton. Overall the Lions and Sharks have a 70% win rate against NZ opposition this year but I feel the Stormers are slightly behind those two sides but at home and considering the Chiefs don't seem to be at their best we might just sneak it. We've been without our entire 1st choice backline this entire season so I don't see this fixture and losing or 4th flyhalf as a major catastrophe. On the plus side in our centers De Allende seems to be getting back to his best though its difficult to say how much poor opposition has made him ook good and Huw Jones is back who woud've been our prefered starter at 13 with De Jongh out. Its gonna be an interesting game. I see us as having a slight edge in the pack and set piece with the Chiefs the edge out in the backs with Weber, Cruden and McKenzie key danger men. We are going to have to play in the right part of the field and try to starve the Chiefs all while taking our own chances and scramble well cause the Chiefs are gonna get their points off of poor kicks and turn over posession.

Last edited:
Messam is probably traveling along on the basis that the Chiefs will be applying for special dispensation. I know the Sharks are applying for WP lock Ruan Botha to be available to them and the Stormers are looking to ask for Scott van Breda (an uncontracted utility back) to be available for our bench. We have so many players in the backline unavaiable at 10 and in the outside backs we don't have anyone left for the bench. At 10 we've lost Rob du Preez, Kurt Coleman, Dillyn Lleyds and Jean-Luc du Plessis. Rookie Rob Thomson will probably start at 10 for us but we don't have someone to field for the bench to cover 10 in our squad. Outside backs we're without all of Cheslin Kolbe, Dillyn Lleyds, Seabelo Senatla and Cornal Hendricks.

I have no idea what to expect this match. The Stormers havn't faced any of the NZ sides. We've lost to both the Lions and Sharks by a 7 and 5 point margin respectively. the Chiefs beat the Sharks at home by 2 while the Lions beat the Chiefs by 4 (possibly helped a bit?), both in Hamilton. Overall the Lions and Sharks have a 70% win rate against NZ opposition this year but I feel the Stormers are slightly behind those two sides but at home and considering the Chiefs don't seem to be at their best we might just sneak it. We've been without our entire 1st choice backline this entire season so I don't see this fixture and losing or 4th flyhalf as a major catastrophe. On the plus side in our centers De Allende seems to be getting back to his best though its difficult to say how much poor opposition has made him ook good and Huw Jones is back who woud've been our prefered starter at 13 with De Jongh out. Its gonna be an interesting game. I see us as having a slight edge in the pack and set piece with the Chiefs the edge out in the backs with Weber, Cruden and McKenzie key danger men. We are going to have to play in the right part of the field and try to starve the Chiefs all while taking our own chances and scramble well cause the Chiefs are gonna get their points off of poor kicks and turn over posession.

Its bloody hard to predict having not seen many SA games at all this year but the perceived weakness in the Chiefs pack is gone imo. Dominic Bird I feel is probably one of the main reasons for that. I couldnt believe how they beat the Saders in fiji the Crusaders have the best pack in NZ and I thought they totally dismantled them in that game. Bird and Cane being back in form and the front row seemingly more than adequate... Im struggling to see past a Chiefs victory.

That said I wouldnt be surprised if every NZ team lost this weekend.

The only QF fixture where the 2 sides have not met in the league phase this year. An important aspect which really just puts each team rather on an equal footing going into this knockout match.

Sure one should acknowledge the Stormers' home-ground advantage, but one should also know that Kiwi sides travelling here do not find it had getting some support from the locals.

As far as history suggests - with the exception of competing in the final 2010 - the Stormers have a bad record in play-off matches, particularly where they hosted it at Newlands (1999 lost to Highlanders; 2011 lost to Crusaders; 2012 lost to Sharks; 2015 lost to Brumbies). The Chiefs has won the SR twice under the current format (2012 & 2013) and the only side to have done that thus far. They are no strangers to travelling on a weekly basis either.

And then, just last week, the Stormers were dealt with a major blow with the ankle-injury to their pivot Jean-Luc Du Plessis - a youngster who has done exceptionally well for himself this year.

Still tough to call it off the cuffs which side would be considered favorites to progress, but the way I see it the Chiefs will feel it more than a Stormers side who is to prove to themselves they can get passed the 1st hurdle.

I too see the Chiefs as being favorites. We tend to struggle against them and the Crusaders. That said I won't write off a Stormers win. News also just in that Rb du Preez has been cleared to play. I don't know if it'd be best to have him on the bench and start Thomson or rush Du Preez straight back into the starting spot. Taute the only other player that has been cleared that'll be likely to feature.

My prediction; Chiefs by 4 with a 7 point margin each way.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/stormers-players-cleared-for-playoffs-20160718-3

Carr and Malherbe also declared fit which means we don't lose much (if anything) ITO quality in forwards on the bench.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/returning-players-boost-stormers-20160718

Last edited:
I too see the Chiefs as being favorites. We tend to struggle against them and the Crusaders. That said I won't write off a Stormers win. News also just in that Rb du Preez has been cleared to play. I don't know if it'd be best to have him on the bench and start Thomson or rush Du Preez straight back into the starting spot. Taute the only other player that has been cleared that'll be likely to feature.

My prediction; Chiefs by 4 with a 7 point margin each way.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/stormers-players-cleared-for-playoffs-20160718-3

Carr and Malherbe also declared fit which means we don't lose much (if anything) ITO quality in forwards on the bench.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/returning-players-boost-stormers-20160718

Bit of a tough call to make for Fleck, even if RDP was the starting flyhalf at the beginning of the season. He played the 1st match, but then got injured early in the 2nd, which accounts for his SR experience. Brandon Thompson's cameos served him well to be seen as just being able to close out games, which he did impressively well (recall the Reds game). Its only bad planning on the Stormers part for not affording him more opportunity. The game against the Kings would've been ideal.

Bygons be bygons - I would opt for Rob Du Preez to start. Hopefully our forwards can get some momentum to provide him with a platform to execute seamlessly. Thompson can assume his role as a 2nd-halver.

Another interesting selection poser who Fleck opts for as the loose-trio combination with Carr back. Notshe has no doubt been the better of the 2 given that Kolisi & Burger will most definitely start.

Also, the Koch & Kebble combo sent shockwaves through Australia few weeks ago - they should be starting if fit. Malherbe can come off the bench.

Bit of a tough call to make for Fleck, even if RDP was the starting flyhalf at the beginning of the season. He played the 1st match, but then got injured early in the 2nd, which accounts for his SR experience. Brandon Thompson's cameos served him well to be seen as just being able to close out games, which he did impressively well (recall the Reds game). Its only bad planning on the Stormers part for not affording him more opportunity. The game against the Kings would've been ideal.

Bygons be bygons - I would opt for Rob Du Preez to start. Hopefully our forwards can get some momentum to provide him with a platform to execute seamlessly. Thompson can assume his role as a 2nd-halver.

Another interesting selection poser who Fleck opts for as the loose-trio combination with Carr back. Notshe has no doubt been the better of the 2 given that Kolisi & Burger will most definitely start.

Also, the Koch & Kebble combo sent shockwaves through Australia few weeks ago - they should be starting if fit. Malherbe can come off the bench.

Agreed (RdP to start)

Agreed (Notshe ahead of Carr; Carr just back from injury to boot and has been a shade of the player that got capped by the Bokke)

Agreed (Start the in form players. Malherbe has also not been as dominant in the scrum this year. I suspect that ****ling calf and ankle is holding him back.)

If we have a hope its superior set pieces, playing for position and taking our chances.

Will Burger play though? Isn't he on his way to Saracens already? Saw him jog onto the field for the Stormers this past weekend with his 2 boys, and the commentator even said that it will be Schalla's last game at Newlands...

Scarra to seal this with a drop goal, wonder whats the odds on that one :)

Stormers at least would be competitive, the lack of proper NZ opponents might hit them hard, read might again.
Forward dominance if they are to nullify the dangerous Chiefs backs

Should my team win this, I might just end up in the ER

Will Burger play though? Isn't he on his way to Saracens already? Saw him jog onto the field for the Stormers this past weekend with his 2 boys, and the commentator even said that it will be Schalla's last game at Newlands...

Sport24 reported last week he will be joining Saracens at the end of the SR season. Didn't say regular season; also would be an odd time to depart.

Anyway - the Kings should feel honored to have a legend of the SA game show off his legacy on their day. Commentator was probably emotional (as was I - ha haa).

normally expect the chiefs to win this but the travel and injury issues are going to even this contest up.

Midfield is getting very tight. Lienert-Brown has been good in Ngatai's absence but now we are down Seta Tamanivalu as well and Horrell is also out and he would be the ideal next in line... all on the injury list now. Sam Vaka is basically the last guy standing, with the option of playing Donald in the midfield as he has some experience.

I still back the chiefs, I think the x-factor in the forwards will be too much for the stormers.

Bird and Cane were absolutely huge last weekend.

Retalick, Sanders, Harris & Seu all in really good form. The goal has to be to survive the scrums and dominate the rest of the field. we have a long list of injured props, the guys who are there right now have been doing an ok job at scrum time considering while still being really handy around the field.

I hope sanders has a blinder to make up for that card last weekend...

Sport24 reported last week he will be joining Saracens at the end of the SR season. Didn't say regular season; also would be an odd time to depart.

Anyway - the Kings should feel honored to have a legend of the SA game show off his legacy on their day. Commentator was probably emotional (as was I - ha haa).

Many of the guys left on Sunday already for their Japanese or NH teams. 2 of the Kings players went straight to the airport after the match on Saturday to try and get an earlier flight to Japan...

Nonetheless, it seems like Schalla will play if he's commenting on their preparation and the set phases against the Chiefs.

Very interesting from Fleck. Kebble, Malherbe and two loosies on the bench tells me he is banking on trying to turn on the screws in the 2nd half at least at scrum time. I'm not sure how much I trust that. The Stormers tend to chase poorly. I'd rather start with our best possible front row which I see as including Kebble and see if we can't try to apply early pressure rather. Maybe I am underrating Vermaak, we'll have to see. It might end up not counting for anything in any case as we don't know how many scrums there will be.

Other than that Rob du Preez straight back in and starting is the right call IMO. If only for better game management its the right call IMO and aren't we fortunate he is fit if maybe not match fit. We'll see.

Very interesting from Fleck. Kebble, Malherbe and two loosies on the bench tells me he is banking on trying to turn on the screws in the 2nd half at least at scrum time. I'm not sure how much I trust that. The Stormers tend to chase poorly. I'd rather start with our best possible front row which I see as including Kebble and see if we can't try to apply early pressure rather. Maybe I am underrating Vermaak, we'll have to see. It might end up not counting for anything in any case as we don't know how many scrums there will be.

Other than that Rob du Preez straight back in and starting is the right call IMO. If only for better game management its the right call IMO and aren't we fortunate he is fit if maybe not match fit. We'll see.

or because Kebble and Malherbe is actually still nursing injuries that he opts for (always fit) Vermaak to soften up the Chiefs charges at first. His 6/2 split of the bench might signal his intention in backing themselves on the one facet of play that has worked most for the them this season.

Agreed - they do chase poorly, which might be exactly why he stocked up his match-day squad with forwards. They're going to try and penal-trate the Chiefs in traditional South African rugby fashion. Gone are ambitions of wanting to play an expansive brand of rugby; on comes the mind-set of test match conditions where only winning counts.

All that being said - I am hoping for 150% commitment on defense from each player and getting that communication & awareness right when running supporting lines on attack. New Zealand sides have a habit of always scoring easy tries from broken play, because of one defensive lapse. Would really hate to see that happen.

If the Stormers can execute their gameplan and put the Chiefs under pressure in the right areas then surely they're in with a chance. Other wise if the Chiefs do start to dominate the collisions and manage to offload, then we know how this will end.

Im gonna be optimistic and call it a win for the home side.

chiefs named with Donald at 12 and Weber starting, Seu at 6
and basically two opeside flankers on the bench because of the injury situation.

CHIEFS: Damian McKenzie, Sam McNicol, Anton Lienart-Brown, Stephen Donald, James Lowe, Aaron Cruden, Brad Weber, Tom Sanders, Sam Cane, Taleni Seu, Brodie Retallick, Dominic Bird, Atu Moli, Nathan Harris, Kane Harris. Reserves: Reserves: Hika Elliot, Siegfried Fisi'ihoi, Mitchell Graham, Tevita Koloamatangi, Lachlan Boshier, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Toni Pulu, Shaun Stevenson.

I also think its good McNicol is starting. In good form and should be fresher. This change and Weber at 9 does look like they are trying to get fresh legs on the field.

I woke at at 7Am on a Saturday - that does NOT happen
Guess the anticipating is getting the better of me

Latest posts