• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] Stormers vs. Chiefs (QF) 23/07/2016

Do believe the lions face the Chiefs. So, assuming the Chiefs hang around SA for a week, you have to fancy them stuffing the lions. Well, I do.

Seeding of he remaining teams:
Hurricanes (1)
Lions (2)
Highlanders (3)
Chiefs (4)

1 vs 4, 2 vs 3

Edit: confirmed

http://www.superxv.com/2016-super-rugby-semi-finalists-confirmed/

Super Rugby Semi-final 1Match No.140: Hurricanes v Chiefs
Date : Saturday 30 July 2016 (TBC)
Venue : Westpac Stadium Wellington

Super Rugby Semi-final 2
Match No.141: Lions v Highlanders
Date : Saturday 30 July 2016 (TBC)
Venue : Emirates Airlines Park, Johannesburg

- - - Updated - - -

IF the Chiefs can overcome the Hurricanes (AND assuming the Lions beat the Highlanders) AND come back to SA to beat the Lions now that I would be impressed with.

As is I fncy the Hurricanes for the ***le. I think the Chiefs coming now will be a tougher match than the Lions or Highlanders for the final.

Last edited:
The Hurricanes will be 4 point favourites over the Chiefs and the Lions Highlanders game a coin flip I'd guess. I was impressed by the Lions and Jantjies is playing well, but the Highlanders are so explosive and can score from anywhere. I think the Chiefs are probably the best side in Super Rugby this year, and they can win in Wellington. Is charlie Ngatai coming back any time soon? I agree with the guy who said that the Chiefs is the Hurricanes final next week, if they win that, they'll win Super Rugby 2016.

Fair play to the Lions, but there is no way that the SA conferences should be allowed three teams in the quarters. Absolute joke. Two of them were obviously nowhere near good enough, and would have been hammered by the worst team in the NZ conference. Something needs to change.

amazing game, I never hid the fact I really wanted the chiefs to hammer the stormers. Just to show how ridiculous this conference system is. IMO the Stormers weren't deserving finalists let alone deserving of a home quarter final.

I know it matters little but I want to talk about that first stormers try. I mean was that not a blatant and obvious double movement? I still can't believe that was awarded... He was clearly tackled before the line, brad Webber clearly had a hand on him and he clearly propelled himself forward to score.

Last edited:
Well done the Chiefs, excellent rugby.
Now SA teams know how bad most of them are, let's blame the conference system, we always blame something...

Beaten fair and squire by a far better team on the day

Gutted to see beaver go off after 30 with an injury. He was playing well and you can see he really wants to be a part of it.

Whole chiefs side was good, Mckenzie an obvious standout. Few handling errors have crept into Lowes game the last couple of weeks. But hes still been brilliant. His kicking game is right up there. IMO the AB selectors should be taking serious notice of Lowe right now. Ive been saying that McNicol should be the chiefs starting 14 for a while now and I think he should be close to justifying that. I think the act he still only 20 is the main reason he hasn't been the first option at 14, but he just always plays well.

I think as predicted the skill and intensity of the chiefs forwards set the platform.

I think it's between the Chiefs and Landers, both the most impressive teams, Chiefs have had so many obstacles this comp that travel won't bother them, though I'd love to see the Lions get to the final..

Stormers' Super rugby playoff record:

1999 - lost to Otago Highlanders (33-18 in semi-finals, Cape Town)
2004 - lost to Crusaders (27-16 in semi-finals, Christchurch)
2010 - beat Waratahs (25-6 in semi-finals, Cape Town)
2010 - lost to Bulls (25-17 in final, Soweto)
2011 - lost to Crusaders (29-10 in semi-finals, Cape Town)
2012 - lost to Sharks (26-19 in semi-finals, Cape Town)
2015 - lost to Brumbies (39-19 in qualifier, Cape Town)
2016 - lost Chiefs (60-21 in quarter-finals, Cape Town)

Sad reading. We really need to get some BMT.

Stormers’ Super rugby playoff record:

1999 - lost to Otago Highlanders (33-18 in semi-finals, Cape Town)
2004 - lost to Crusaders (27-16 in semi-finals, Christchurch)
2010 - beat Waratahs (25-6 in semi-finals, Cape Town)
2010 - lost to Bulls (25-17 in final, Soweto)
2011 - lost to Crusaders (29-10 in semi-finals, Cape Town)
2012 - lost to Sharks (26-19 in semi-finals, Cape Town)
2015 - lost to Brumbies (39-19 in qualifier, Cape Town)
2016 - lost Chiefs (60-21 in quarter-finals, Cape Town)

Sad reading. We really need to get some BMT.

We scored more points in this one than any of the others; we also conceded the most points.

Never-mind injuries, the conference system or even the quota system. I actually thought the unknown factor would've somewhat played to the advantage of the Stormers.

However, the results only proves our standard of rugby as a union is just not up there and a change of culture is surely needed.

Latest posts