• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] Sunwolves vs. Cheetahs (Round 3) 12/03/2016

Great first half from the Sunwolves! Hope they can keep this up in the second half

Cheetahs back in it now, but suffice it to say that the Sunwolves' "tackling" needs a bit of work

Sunwolves forwards not quite up to this. Hopefully the cheetahs stuff up

Things falling apart pretty rapidly. Amateur hour here from the SWs

The crowd's first rugby game then?

Yes, I wonder if all 5 of them will be back. Seriously, what a ****ing joke that they're playing games there... dumbest idea ever put forward by any football comp

Why the hell was this being played in Singapore?

The SunWolves need all the home games they can get and by home, I mean JAPAN, the support was absolutely crap and couldn't help them get over the line in a game they were perfectly capable of winning at home. No bonus point for 4 tries either.

The idiots who run this competition should be fired.

Why the hell was this being played in Singapore?

The SunWolves need all the home games they can get and by home, I mean JAPAN, the support was absolutely crap and couldn't help them get over the line in a game they were perfectly capable of winning at home. No bonus point for 4 tries either.

The idiots who run this competition should be fired.

It was a compromise to keep the SARU happy - they didn't want their teams to have to fly all the way to Japan

But the Japanese have to fly all the way to SA?

Seems fair man.

It's not about being fair to Japan. Japan is closer to Australia and New Zealand and in a more similar time zone. Roughly 50 percent of the South African teams have to travel to Argentina, Asia and Australasia. The whole point was to try and reduce the amount of travel they have to go through in the season.

it's about trying to be fair to the South African teams.

It's not about being fair to Japan. Japan is closer to Australia and New Zealand and in a more similar time zone. Roughly 50 percent of the South African teams have to travel to Argentina, Asia and Australasia. The whole point was to try and reduce the amount of travel they have to go through in the season.

Fair enough. I still feel things could be organized better.

The system makes absolutely no sense and the fact that SANZAR were considering an Asia side for the African conference is stupid beyond belief. But because they were, the SARU were putting pressure for the Singapore 'pan-Asia' team to get a side over the far more logical (given they actually have a rugby history) Japan side. So as a circuit breaker to get the SARU on board they suggested the Japanese play some games out of Singapore.

To be honest I've always thought it would have made a lot more sense to give the Argentinians 2 or even 3 teams and in another year or so have the Japanese get 2 teams (Tokyo and Osaka - the local rivalry would be immense) to join the Australasia conference.

The system makes absolutely no sense and the fact that SANZAR were considering an Asia side for the African conference is stupid beyond belief. But because they were, the SARU were putting pressure for the Singapore 'pan-Asia' team to get a side over the far more logical (given they actually have a rugby history) Japan side. So as a circuit breaker to get the SARU on board they suggested the Japanese play some games out of Singapore.

To be honest I've always thought it would have made a lot more sense to give the Argentinians 2 or even 3 teams and in another year or so have the Japanese get 2 teams (Tokyo and Osaka - the local rivalry would be immense) to join the Australasia conference.

Sounds like a sound plan for the future, I don't think either country has the capacity or quality to pull that off yet, but definitely something I can see in the future. I would like to see another NZ team as well, as I think we could easily create a 6th competitive team from Bay of Plenty and Hawkes bay. THe amount of unused quality in the ITM is unreal, practically a lot of these guys would coast into Super Rugby and Top 14 teams in any other countries and I'm not just tooting NZ Rugby's horn.

Last edited:

Latest posts