• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Six Nations] - England

Same here. He's also played pretty well in various different positions, rather than looking like a jack of all trades master of none à la Slade

He doesn't cover 12 though

He rarely plays there but last season he got a start there for Wasps and he played there off the bench vs Ireland. Of course Te'o at 22 would be the real 12 cover though.

He rarely plays there but last season he got a start there for Wasps and he played there off the bench vs Ireland. Of course Te'o at 22 would be the real 12 cover though.

Jones said he'd been working on Daly at 12 in training last year. I assume as he is our super sub!!!

But there's nothing about him that looks like a 12 is there? He doesn't run like a 12, he doesn't tackle like a 12, he doesn't distribute. If it came down to it I'd rather see JJ at 12 Daly at 13

But there's nothing about him that looks like a 12 is there? He doesn't run like a 12, he doesn't tackle like a 12, he doesn't distribute. If it came down to it I'd rather see JJ at 12 Daly at 13

His distributing game is pretty good, he just doesn't show it at 13. Plus his boot is a weapon at IC. He's definitely not a 12, but he is capable of covering there off the bench.

He quite regularly stood at first receiver for Wasps until we had Cips running the show. His distribution is pretty good in generally. He's also getting more aggressive in defence, and isn't that small. He's not a regular 12 for sure, but we're not talking about starting him there, merely cover. Not bad at breaking the line in a fairly direct manner these days either.

What about JJ looks more like a 12 to you than Daly?

Can't really argue with that but I'd echo Tobes in wanting Daly on the bench. Hopefully Hughes has been berated into doing some work on the field. I see him walking to a ruck again and I want blood.
I think instead of Harrison you should go with Wood. Never been a big fan of his but how he's been playing lately I am now.

He quite regularly stood at first receiver for Wasps until we had Cips running the show. His distribution is pretty good in generally. He's also getting more aggressive in defence, and isn't that small. He's not a regular 12 for sure, but we're not talking about starting him there, merely cover. Not bad at breaking the line in a fairly direct manner these days either.

What about JJ looks more like a 12 to you than Daly?

Firstly I do think he has the passing game to put others in space, although maybe I'm underrating Daly on that score because I obviously watch JJ more. But mainly I trust him more in defence - although I don't see him excelling as a defensive IC, I can't see him being really exposed, like I could with Daly. Running-wise they are pretty similar, neither of them have the running game I want from a 12

I think instead of Harrison you should go with Wood. Never been a big fan of his but how he's been playing lately I am now.

Wood wasn't exactly impressive on his return in the Autumn Internationals. Even if you pick him for one game, he's never going to be able to keep it in future against the challenges of more talented players. There's just no point. Is Clifford long-term injured by the way?

Firstly I do think he has the passing game to put others in space, although maybe I'm underrating Daly on that score because I obviously watch JJ more. But mainly I trust him more in defence - although I don't see him excelling as a defensive IC, I can't see him being really exposed, like I could with Daly. Running-wise they are pretty similar, neither of them have the running game I want from a 12

JJ never passes anymore!

Wood wasn't exactly impressive on his return in the Autumn Internationals. Even if you pick him for one game, he's never going to be able to keep it in future against the challenges of more talented players. There's just no point. Is Clifford long-term injured by the way?

I thought Wood was fine, maybe not a world beater but he certainly played his part. Think Clifford played last weekend.

He does distribute a lot for Bath, but it has to be said that for England he is quite the ball hogger.

He does distribute a lot for Bath, but it has to be said that for England he is quite the ball hogger.

Almost certainly how England are playing him rather than how he plays then. With Farrell and Ford inside there's more need for a strike runner than another distributor.

Almost certainly how England are playing him rather than how he plays then. With Farrell and Ford inside there's more need for a strike runner than another distributor.

Doesn't mean he can't pass to the winger from OC channel rather than running it himself every time.

Precisely, it's not like he's been blowing 2 on 1s. There's nothing fundamentally better about passing than running unless the person you pass to is in a better position.

Edit: also worth noting that the England wingers have pretty healthy scoring records under Eddie, not to mention JJ himself

Doesn't mean he can't pass to the winger from OC channel rather than running it himself every time.

No, but it could mean that the back line is not set up to create opportunities in this way. England's backs under Eddie Jones have been very carefully regimented in attack, running moves wherever possible. JJ normally slots into this as a decoy or passing option rather than distributor.

There's also nothing to say he doesn't pass every time, it's certainly not something I've noticed.

My point is that it's clearly not a flaw of Joseph's, as he does it for Bath- unless his mentality at England is significantly different? Maybe at first but he's got 30 caps now, it shouldn't be an issue.

Edit to add: just seen Every Time Ref's post, what he said.

Last edited:

I'm glad that he does because he creates with the ball in hand and he's a pleasure to watch. For my money he is the most talented Englishman I've seen in an English jersey for a long time.
He's genuine class.

Latest posts