• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Six Nations] - England

Haskell and Clifford have both stayed with their clubs for further medical testing, rather than flying to Portugal with the squad, after injuries this weekend.

From the Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...future-with-sherylle-calder-in-england-camp):

"Sherylle will work with all the backs, but especially the back-field guys,†says Jones, who is set to keep Brown at full-back for the opening Six Nations match against France at Twickenham on Saturday 4 February, with Nowell and Yarde contesting the right wing and May and Watson the left.

I'm a bit disappointed that it won't be May and Watson starting, but perhaps it's an indication that Watson will be looked at at fullback? Either by starting on the left wing and moving to fullback to make way for May later in the game, or coming off the bench at fullback. Or is it simply that Jones thinks Nowell is the first name on for a wing berth?

I'd be interested to see a poll on here about the England wingers.

Nowell and Watson is the only combination which wouldn't leave me feeling anxious

Nowell has to start given his recent run of form. After that it becomes less clear;

May played fairly well in the Autumn with Watson out and has been looking solid if unspectacular at club level. Watson was an instant pick before the Autumn, but his club form since returning from injury has been shambolic. Yarde's function other than holding tackle bags and making the props feel better about their ball skills is beyond me.

Will be interesting to see who Jones goes with out of May/Watson. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the former.

If he does go with May it will also be interesting to see what he does with the bench. Assuming he definitely takes Teo as has been the case in recent games, it will end up in a battle between Daly, Watson and Slade (with Lozowski a dark dark horse).

I can't see any back three combination which doesn't have Nowell starting.

May played fairly well in the Autumn with Watson out and has been looking solid if unspectacular at club level. Watson was an instant pick before the Autumn, but his club form since returning from injury has been shambolic.

Shambolic?! ...Really?

I can't see any back three combination which doesn't have Nowell starting.

Shambolic?! ...Really?

Hyperbole perhaps...but relative to his form for England last year it's not too much of a stretch. Also highlighted further by the recent form of Rokoduguni and Nowell. I just don't see him offering the same threat ball in hand of late, I think his steps more often get him into trouble than out of it which calls his field-vision into question and his tackling and defensive positioning have been quite poor. Don't get me wrong, he is still one of the better wingers in the country, but contrast his performance to those of the two I mentioned above as a benchmark and he is lacking.

Thought I'd post this from Shedweb:

[FONT=&quot]It was the same guy who told me Mills is strongly rumoured to be heading our way. Also told me that Andrew Kitchener is potentially moving on, although doesn't know the destination. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He said look out for Ted Hill, he is an incredible talent, the best they've seen in years. He's in the England under 20's and is only 17! They think he's the most exciting young prospect in the Country right now. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]On Rapava-Ruskin, he said Wuss are going to work him very hard until the end of the season (unsurprisingly). He also told me what he's paid. Said he's not the hardest worker in training but is the most talented guy in their squad. Their coaches reckon that if he were to be more focussed, he's got the potential to be the best LH in the Country. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My mate works at WRFC, so he's very reliable. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There's lots of disharmony at their club right now, which comes from the top down. Their board are all over the place. There's no direction, accountability or organisation and it's affecting the players. Their training is apparently far too rigid and structured; the players are very frustrated.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The comments made in the DM by Ben Te'o caused a serious rift in the camp, which has alienated him. Wuss may even try to offload him at the end of the season, regardless if they go down or not. He has a serious attitude problem apparently.[/FONT]

Just some interesting points (and the bit at the beginning is about Gary Gold supposedly going to Wuss next season)

Christ, I just Googled what Teo might have said to upset the guys at Worcester and he really went all in
"'It's hard to put my finger on it. Leadership from the top down? I don't know which direction the club's going. The standard of players? We probably don't have the quality. Honestly, we've got some good players but we probably need to add.

'It's not a great place to be but we've got to work hard to get out. It's for the people higher up to sort out where the club's going and what it wants to be."

He could come back to play back up in Leinster! :p

I'm surprised by what a dick Te'o has been although the writing was on the wall when he chose the big money move to Worcester of all places I suppose.

'I never envisaged being in this survival battle,' Te'o told Sportsmail. 'I thought this was a club that had come up, would stay up and really kick on. That's what I thought; top eight, top four then grand finals. It's not really been what I thought it would be.
'It's hard to put my finger on it. Leadership from the top down? I don't know which direction the club's going. The standard of players? We probably don't have the quality. Honestly, we've got some good players but we probably need to add.
'It's not a great place to be but we've got to work hard to get out. It's for the people higher up to sort out where the club's going and what it wants to be. Right now, I don't know if it wants to be a sustainable Premiership club or a top four and finals club. I hope we start going in the right direction because no one wants to be playing Bristol with so much riding on it.'
Jesus guy thinks he's way better than he is. The value a guy like that brings to a team is completely outshone by the shear hatred and ill will other players will feel toward him. Dude is an infection. You don't badmouth your club in the press like that if you've only just swanned in for English caps.

I don't see Jones enjoying that kind of attitude either, even if it is only in relation to his club

'I never envisaged being in this survival battle,' Te'o told Sportsmail. 'I thought this was a club that had come up, would stay up and really kick on. That's what I thought; top eight, top four then grand finals. It's not really been what I thought it would be.
'It's hard to put my finger on it. Leadership from the top down? I don't know which direction the club's going. The standard of players? We probably don't have the quality. Honestly, we've got some good players but we probably need to add.
'It's not a great place to be but we've got to work hard to get out. It's for the people higher up to sort out where the club's going and what it wants to be. Right now, I don't know if it wants to be a sustainable Premiership club or a top four and finals club. I hope we start going in the right direction because no one wants to be playing Bristol with so much riding on it.'
Jesus guy thinks he's way better than he is. The value a guy like that brings to a team is completely outshone by the shear hatred and ill will other players will feel toward him. Dude is an infection. You don't badmouth your club in the press like that if you've only just swanned in for English caps.

do those takes keep you warm in the irish winter?

Latest posts