• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 18: Hurricanes vs. Crusaders (15/07/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

yVAZL2m.jpg
yNiq3rv.png

Venue: Westpac Stadium
Time: 09:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

wow if canes lose they face the stormers. if canes win Lions could win the minors meaning everyone travels to SA while Lions keep winning.

Not sure the Canes will care much if it is Brumbies or Stormers in the playoffs really. Will they go at this full gas? Fancy them to edge it if they do even though they'll be missing Coles (as the ABs clearly did).

its a much shorter trip to go to face the Brumbies, surely the preferred option for either the chiefs or canes

Not sure the Canes will care much if it is Brumbies or Stormers in the playoffs really. Will they go at this full gas? Fancy them to edge it if they do even though they'll be missing Coles (as the ABs clearly did).
which ever team has to travel to SA is at a disadvantage. conceivably it can be done . practicably, is a whole nother kettle of fish

Whether or not the Brumbies or the Stormer are the better team (and surprisingly ;) I think the Stormer are the better team) it's still harder to travel to SA and back. Should be a tense and hard fought match, can't see either team taking th foot off the gas. Its the game of the weekend really, although only this game and the Sharks v Lions game have any effect on the log.

I suppose it's possible one or the other team rests their players. The Crusaders have more to lose but perhaps the Hurricanes think giving their internationals a rest is a better idea (which is not a wholly unreasonable idea).

Crusaders resting the AB front row, and have Whitelock on the bench. Hurricanes starting everybody.

I really hope the Hurricanes does everyone a favour and stop the Crusaders from remaining unbeaten .

A question I'm Wondering about is how the B&I loss will affect the Crusaders . Will NZ teams even care about how that rush defense was used?

I really hope the Hurricanes does everyone a favour and stop the Crusaders from remaining unbeaten .

A question I'm Wondering about is how the B&I loss will affect the Crusaders . Will NZ teams even care about how that rush defense was used?
Robertson is not foolish and he will have figured out a way to counter it by then. I reckon the Crusaders poor performances of late are related to a momentary loss of form. So I won't worry too much for them.
Crotty's still out though, which means that their backs won't have a mastermind to manage the defense. It's going to be a tough contest.

PS: To answer your question more thoroughly, Hansen did find a way to counter Gatland's rush defense, and the Saders employed that technique last time they faced the Canes to nullify their back line. Rush defense is a Hurricanes trademark defensive move, so I think they'll do well against one themselves because they know how to generate it.

Last edited:
Robertson is not foolish and he will have figured out a way to counter it by then. I reckon the Crusaders poor performances of late are related to a momentary loss of form. So I won't worry too much for them.
Crotty's still out though, which means that their backs won't have a mastermind to manage the defense. It's going to be a tough contest.

PS: To answer your question more thoroughly, Hansen did find a way to counter Gatland's rush defense, and the Saders employed that technique last time they faced the Canes to nullify their back line. Rush defense is a Hurricanes trademark defensive move, so I think they'll do well against one themselves because they know how to generate it.

Thanks for the reply.
But whether Hansen did in fact find a way to counter the rush defence is debatable. As the All Blacks were actually held tryless in one of the games. Think it was the second test. The chip and offload was not as effective as it was against some other sides .
Now I'm not saying the Super rugby sides will be able to pull off the same level of defence but if you think you have the tactics to counter it then sometimes it does not always work out as planned.

Thanks for the reply.
As the All Blacks were actually held tryless in one of the games. Think it was the second test.
yes but to be fair that game was a bit "odd".
SBW lost his brains for a split second.
then kaino, our hardest hitting forward, immediately got dragged off for a rookie back.
the rush defence was def countered but even with a flat backline the Lions just werent missing tackles. ABs seemed to be gun shy after that red card and the Lions just kept heaping on more pressure.
in hindsight now ABs shoulda thrown caution to the wind and just gone for tries.
but it was a very valuable lesson. its better to lose whilst your enjoying the game rather than lose by closing up shop

everyone?... or do you mean just the Lions?... ;)

The Crusaders absolutely deserve the #1 spot, being unbeaten in by far the toughest conference. If the Lions somehow sneak it, it will be an absolute travesty.

The Canes are fielding a side that has never been beaten.. Losses to the Chiefs and Crusaders do not mean one iota when push comes to shove. The world has been denied seeing Perenara in combo with Beaudy and Laumape, let alone Aso who is just about as good as it gets.. Anyone who seriously follows Super Rugby will know the Canes forwards are extremely mobile and extremely good defenders. More importantly, the Canes have the most under-rated tight five in the comp.
What will happen in \Wellington on Saturday? The Canes by a mile.

This Crusaders team are very impressive. They're strangling the life out of the Hurricanes.

Wow, what a fantastic match. Credit to the Hurricanes for turning this around.

Feel for the Saders. I think the ref was a tad iffy and often went with the Hurricanes.

Good game I started to doubt the Hurricanes earlier in the games but well done for closing it out. Now the lions need to beat the sharks if they want to finish first. Which is not going to be easy.

Ngani Laumape MOM, Jordie not far behind. Black was impressive too, as was Ardie. Great match!

Ngani Laumape MOM, Jordie not far behind. Black was impressive too, as was Ardie. Great match!

Jordie edged it for me. The 'Canes' pack was impressive at the breakdown and ensured that TJ received quick ball. That was the difference in the second half.

Latest posts