2020 Rugby Championship in Aus

Kiwiwomble

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Otago
This would be a huge blow, would not be surprised, not sure what the player welfare concern would be, maybe the heat at that time of year? QLD has been pretty much COVID free thought so cant imagine it that

actually though it might get called off by QLD/AUS government, overseas teams coming in that havent been living with the same restrictions we have in Aus, would they take them seriously

This would be a huge blow, would not be surprised, not sure what the player welfare concern would be, maybe the heat at that time of year? QLD has been pretty much COVID free thought so cant imagine it that

actually though it might get called off by QLD/AUS government, overseas teams coming in that havent been living with the same restrictions we have in Aus, would they take them seriously

SA Rugby will make an announcement this week on this matter. And yeah, player welfare is the main concern, but there are also other issues they need to resolve before making a decision. AFAIK SA Rugby will meet with the Dept. of Sports, Arts & Culture either today or tomorrow to discuss issues such as international travel, quarantine regulations when they would return and other COVID-19 related matters.

But I get the idea that the Springboks won't be playing the RC. There is a news article floating around where Rassie said that a player needs to have played at least 500 minutes before he could be considered for international duty. And if that's the case, then none of the SA players will be ready by November 7.

SA Rugby will make an announcement this week on this matter. And yeah, player welfare is the main concern, but there are also other issues they need to resolve before making a decision. AFAIK SA Rugby will meet with the Dept. of Sports, Arts & Culture either today or tomorrow to discuss issues such as international travel, quarantine regulations when they would return and other COVID-19 related matters.

But I get the idea that the Springboks won't be playing the RC. There is a news article floating around where Rassie said that a player needs to have played at least 500 minutes before he could be considered for international duty. And if that's the case, then none of the SA players will be ready by November 7.
They should just come late and play one to three games, if possible

Really disappointing, they really shouldn't have announced the schedule or anything before getting agreement

It's a pity SA couldn't get their domestic comp going earlier so we could make this happen

Argies are already here so I imagine they'll do some sort of triangular tournament, I don't think they have played any club games in prep, hope they're not too undercooked

Really disappointing, they really shouldn't have announced the schedule or anything before getting agreement

It's a pity SA couldn't get their domestic comp going earlier so we could make this happen

Argies are already here so I imagine they'll do some sort of triangular tournament, I don't think they have played any club games in prep, hope they're not too undercooked
That was SANZAAR's call. And to be fair, they really didn't have a choice as they need to book venues and ensure the safety of the players and all that logistics surrounding the tournament.

But we can't blame anyone for this, this pandemic is still alive in SA. So I'm just happy we are able to see local rugby being played. We could have easily been without sport for the entire rest of the year.

That was SANZAAR's call. And to be fair, they really didn't have a choice as they need to book venues and ensure the safety of the players and all that logistics surrounding the tournament.

But we can't blame anyone for this, this pandemic is still alive in SA. So I'm just happy we are able to see local rugby being played. We could have easily been without sport for the entire rest of the year.
It's got to be practically impossible to get rid of Covid in South Africa what with the densely populated third world sections of the country where people can't afford to be in lockdown . I imagine they must have had pretty hardcore border controls during lockdown?

It's got to be practically impossible to get rid of Covid in South Africa what with the densely populated third world sections of the country where people can't afford to be in lockdown . I imagine they must have had pretty hardcore border controls during lockdown?

We had provincial border restrictions during lockdown. But the Covid isn't really in the townships/rural areas as much as we thought it would be, and it mostly in the metropolitan areas where the cases keeps on climbing.

I do however think that we are managing it properly. in that, while the pandemic continues, the total cases keeps on declining of new patients, while the amount of people recovering also improves. And the total deaths are also not that astronomical as one would've thought.

We had provincial restrictions but TBH that was not truly implemented. I know there was tons of travel between the Western Cape and Eastern Cape/Northern Cape. Couldn't speak for the rest of the country.

If we do pull out (which I view as likely) its down to us only now getting our domestic game off the floor thanks to our politicians. Truly ridiculous that rugby was singled out and delayed as long as it was. Typical ANC- shoot the one sport where SA actually get success in.

We had provincial restrictions but TBH that was not truly implemented. I know there was tons of travel between the Western Cape and Eastern Cape/Northern Cape. Couldn't speak for the rest of the country.

If we do pull out (which I view as likely) its down to us only now getting our domestic game off the floor thanks to our politicians. Truly ridiculous that rugby was singled out and delayed as long as it was. Typical ANC- shoot the one sport where SA actually get success in.
Up here the provincial borders were patrolled very closely by the military and police. Especially between Limpopo and Gauteng. But if you had the necessary paperwork and permits with you, it wasn't difficult.

I know the Cape was less patrolled. My brother for example managed to drive from George to Pretoria during level 4 lockdown, and the only roadblock he encountered was just before he entered Gauteng on the N1.

But Rugby wasn't singled out. Many other sports were only sanctioned to proceed the same time as rugby. Swimming for example was sanctioned the same time as rugby. I know this because my aunt is a local swimming coach at the High School here in town, and they had to wait for the Dept of Health to first come to the school and do the necessary inspections before the Kids could get back in the water.

Any chance they might cancel the entire thing ? Rugby Championship without any of the teams will not be the same.

Up here the provincial borders were patrolled very closely by the military and police. Especially between Limpopo and Gauteng. But if you had the necessary paperwork and permits with you, it wasn't difficult.

I know the Cape was less patrolled. My brother for example managed to drive from George to Pretoria during level 4 lockdown, and the only roadblock he encountered was just before he entered Gauteng on the N1.

But Rugby wasn't singled out. Many other sports were only sanctioned to proceed the same time as rugby. Swimming for example was sanctioned the same time as rugby. I know this because my aunt is a local swimming coach at the High School here in town, and they had to wait for the Dept of Health to first come to the school and do the necessary inspections before the Kids could get back in the water.
Swimming...

I think my point stands/

It'll end up being a 9 leg Bledisloe Cup
If the games are as tight as the last that might not be too bad. That said I think Aus got up and NZ were expecting a walk in the park. I'm inclined to believe normal service will resume.

Swimming...

I think my point stands/

If the games are as tight as the last that might not be too bad. That said I think Aus got up and NZ were expecting a walk in the park. I'm inclined to believe normal service will resume.
It was just one of the sports, the gyms was also opened the same time as rugby as well as a few other sports.

I don't think there was any sinister plot behind the moves they made. And I think the fact that there weren't any big threats of outbreak in any of the ongoing sports tournaments in SA is evidence of that. Oupa Mohoje tested positive for COVID-19 when he arrived in Cape Town for the Green vs. Gold match, and luckily didn't infect anyone else, even though he was in close proximity to several other players.

Any chance they might cancel the entire thing ? Rugby Championship without any of the teams will not be the same.
The Argies are already in Aus and have been for a while, training, would be a big call to scrap the whole thing, NZ would have to come across for the remaining Bledisloe games anyway

obviously it was SAANZARs fault, wasn't blaming SA

you can book grounds without announcing the schedule etc, announcing it...and then having to change it because the NZ players want to be home for xmas...and then potentiall scrapping all the SA games...seems a bit pretty unprofessional

obviously it was SAANZARs fault, wasn't blaming SA

you can book grounds without announcing the schedule etc, announcing it...and then having to change it because the NZ players want to be home for xmas...and then potentially scrapping all the SA games...seems a bit pretty unprofessional
The Argies are already in Aus and have been for a while, training, would be a big call to scrap the whole thing, NZ would have to come across for the remaining Bledisloe games anyway

giving SA a bit more time, not sure it will make a difference but we can hope

edit:

and then this

not sure what a partial withdrawal would mean, the games the miss go down as draws?

Last edited:

jeez, this would make for a messed up tournament, if they were going to do it a baabaa's team wold be better than Aussie A, there are plenty of kiwis that could do the job that havent been called up to the AB's and bound to be some talent in japan that could get over here in time

SANZAAR has given SA Rugby a 48-hour deadline now to make the call. And my guess is that they will stretch it to the very last hour to make a call.

A Scott Robertson coached selection of New Zealand and Australian players ( I mean pick one as a token, kuridrani perhaps) Could be fun. For the first 3 games, then springboks can play the next three. At the end just halve the wallabies, all blacks, and pumas points.

A Scott Robertson coached selection of New Zealand and Australian players ( I mean pick one as a token, kuridrani perhaps) Could be fun. For the first 3 games, then springboks can play the next three. At the end just halve the wallabies, all blacks, and pumas points.

The articles being rolled out this side of the pond, seems to be a bit grim. Should the Boks be allowed to go to Australia, they won't be out of quarantine before the scheduled kick-off day against Argentina. So it would seem like SA would miss out on the first round, possibly the second round of the competition.

And based on the overall remarks being made by local coaches and journalists, it seems like the possibility is less than likely...

Latest posts