• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2020 Rugby Championship in Aus

SANZAAR has given SA Rugby a 48-hour deadline now to make the call. And my guess is that they will stretch it to the very last hour to make a call.

I can't believe the SARU is rich enough to turn down 300,000,000 rand (£14,000,000).

The articles being rolled out this side of the pond, seems to be a bit grim. Should the Boks be allowed to go to Australia, they won't be out of quarantine before the scheduled kick-off day against Argentina. So it would seem like SA would miss out on the first round, possibly the second round of the competition.

And based on the overall remarks being made by local coaches and journalists, it seems like the possibility is less than likely...
the quarantine is only two weeks and the first game is three and a half weeks away....so they can still make it

the quarantine is only two weeks and the first game is three and a half weeks away....so they can still make it
That's not the issue. It's getting the players match fit and prepared. What would be the point in the World Champions, and RC Champs pitching for a tournament when some of the players starting the match only played 2 warm-up domestic matches like Duane Vermeulen if they were to fly this weekend? The Stormers haven't even played their first match of the Super Rugby Unlocked tournament yet...

It's not just about getting on the plane and going there, it's about player welfare, being fit, and being competitive.

That's not the issue. It's getting the players match fit and prepared. What would be the point in the World Champions, and RC Champs pitching for a tournament when some of the players starting the match only played 2 warm-up domestic matches like Duane Vermeulen if they were to fly this weekend? The Stormers haven't even played their first match of the Super Rugby Unlocked tournament yet...

It's not just about getting on the plane and going there, it's about player welfare, being fit, and being competitive.

Surely the SARU can't afford to turn down 300,000,000 rand?

Surely the SARU can't afford to turn down 300,000,000 rand?

They will still get an incentive even if the Boks don't play. But yeah, they are prepared to take the financial knock if needs be. Remember that SARU gets a cut of the broadcasting rights due to it's agreement with SANZAAR, and because Supersport is their broadcasting sponsor. SARU even got money, for this past Bledisloe Cup match from Supersport...

So it's not about turning down money. They understand that they will lose money, and it won't be the first time this happens. For them it's more than just the money. And they might lose some funds if we don't play, but they also don't spend on sending the players out to play, which will mean no expenses on travel, hotels, food, salaries etc...

They are weighing up everything to make a call.

I was just replying directly to your comment

"...they won't be out of quarantine before the scheduled kick-off day against Argentina"

they could be

being under cooked is different to there not being time to quarantine

Well thats a shame .Could have had SA play Argentina for their first two games because of similar situations(lack of game time etc) but understand SA reasons for pulling out (having more to lose being Current RC and World Champions,Player Welfare) its lucky there are any games happening at all considering the global pandemic.

What would be the point in the World Champions, and RC Champs pitching for a tournament when some of the players starting the match only played 2 warm-up domestic matches like Duane Vermeulen if they were to fly this weekend?
Entertaining fans starving to watch their teams, maybe?

Player welfare is an argument I would be willing to discuss.*
The possibility of losing because a team had their players playing a few more games this year is not, imo, course.

*: this is essentially a logistics problem. I refuse to believe it couldn't be dealt with by reasonably managing the health risks involved. We are talking about athletes at their prime, not about obese 70-year-olds with heart/lung conditions.

A bit early the NZ herald with this report. Wondered who their source is, because they just asked Siya Kolisi on tv about this, and he said he hasn't heard anything yet.

Maybe we'll get the official statement this afternoon...

A bit early the NZ herald with this report. Wondered who their source is, because they just asked Siya Kolisi on tv about this, and he said he hasn't heard anything yet.

Maybe everyone has been told, but told to deny until an official announcement.

Wait and see this is the start of a major major overhaul which will eventually reach 6 Nations being altered.

I can't believe the SARU is rich enough to turn down 300,000,000 rand (£14,000,000).
I dont thunk it's that simple. Losing will tarnish the brand, and id think they are reasonably secure in the short term. I think they have made this decision on long term financial grounds. They will cite other factors of course.

The possibility of losing because a team had their players playing a few more games this year is not, imo, course.

*: this is essentially a logistics problem. I refuse to believe it couldn't be dealt with by reasonably managing the health risks involved. We are talking about athletes at their prime, not about obese 70-year-olds with heart/lung conditions.
More chance of serious, life altering rather than career altering, injuries?

@ admin @TRF_heineken it took me a while to ensure thispost was a single post, to prevent posting more than one post in a row. after having posted a post containing half of what ended up here, I tried several times to edit the previous post to put the second half of this post in there but when I scroll up to click reply on cruzes message it kept omcreating a new post. It didnt used to do that, or maybe its that I'm using my wife's android phone. My workaround was to finish the second post, select all, copy, then go back to edit the first post. Painful

Last edited:

I dont think so. Risk of injury comes with the bloody job. It's a contact sport. Dealing with a global pandemic isn't (necessarily) part of the job description, or at least i can see fair arguments from both sides. Not like they are throwing Joe the plumber after two weeks of partying in ibiza in a game against the All Blacks.

If you are going to tell me that the Stormers playing the Cheetahs and Pumas is going to substantially alter the probabilities of the springboks getting injured in TRC, excuse me, but i'd like to see some evidence.
You know the saying: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

If you tell me that the lack of competition could change their chances of winning, well, that is an entirely different conversation.

i mean...thats what a scoop is...getting the news out before the official announcement, if we all just read the official announcement...we wouldn't need to read the paper

Latest posts