• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Wales Squad

After his massive layoff I think Kieran Williams just needs a full season of reginal rugby now. Let him settle next season for the Ospreys then pick him for end of season tour.... if it happens.

Not Leon Brown, but Lee is the one that's lucky for me. Has been better recently but hasn't played as well as he did in his earlier years.
Dunno, Lee has looked good recently. This is the first time he's been injury free for an extended period of time since 2013 and it shows.

Why bot just have all 4? Plenty of games this autumn to experiment, especially after the RWC seedings announcement.

It's bit disappointing that Wales need to really on qualified players especially in the centre. I don't think Tompkins, Holmes and Williams have ever really thought about playing for Wales till asked to be honest.
But when English academies sign players who only ever want to play for Wales, Lloyd, LRZ, Tommy Reffell etc. it's a actually benefiting Wales, they are paying for the player's development and giving them valuable experience . The wru has recently signed a deal for Welsh players to go to Hartpury so I expect more Welsh players coming up through the English academies in the next few years.

Ah don't mind me I just get salty when players Tigers helped develop leave for a welsh region to solely try and get caps, I'm not that bothered about them playing for Wales.

What Privac had to say on some of the more contentious decisions.

Q: What do Jonah Holmes and Ioan Lloyd offer you ahead of people like Ashton Hewitt and Steff Evans?

WP:
Ioan can play full-back, 10, can kick goals and play on the wing. I think he's in a different category altogether.

I think the biggest one is your question around Jonah and the other two. If we look at try-scoring, I don't think the Scarlets have scored a try in their last two competitive matches.

We know Steff very well. I spoke to him at training a couple of weeks back. Nothing has changed, he knows the areas of his game that need to be worked on and he's made solid improvements.

He'll play a number of club games now and show the consistency that we're after.

Ashton came into the squad in the Six Nations because of injuries. He's a player that also has work-ons in his game, which he'll be doing at club level.

For us, Jonah can play full-back and wing and has done so for Wales. He brings a little bit more to the table for us at the moment.

But those other two, like a couple of other players, have been close to selection.

They need to now be consistent with what they do week in, week out for their clubs in the areas that we need them to.

Q: WillGriff John was named to face Scotland many months ago and now he's not in the squad – have you spoken to him?

WP:
Everybody that was in the squad in the Six Nations that has missed out this time around has been spoken to. They were unpleasant phone calls, it's not the nicest part of the job.

But that was done yesterday and as late as this morning so that they got the news from me as opposed to hearing it via the media.

He was spoken to. He has parts of his game that he needs to work on. Bringing him into the camp, we learned a lot about Will and he learned a lot about the preparation needed and the shape you need to be in to play at this level of the game.

He's worked really hard, he's lost some weight, he's in much better shape and we've talked to him about playing week in, week out and showing some consistency in his game across the board.

He's had a clear message.

The 55 players that we spoke to on Zoom all had a clear message about what we want to get out of this campaign. If you're not involved in this campaign, we will obviously monitor players' form for their clubs and pick the team that is the best available at the time to win the Six Nations.

If you're not in this squad it's about working hard and those players will be monitored and considered.

Q: What was the thinking behind leaving out Elliot Dee and Adam Beard?

WP:
Elliot has only played a couple of games of rugby since before the Six Nations. He didn't play in that campaign due to injury.

It was an opportunity for us to take a look at some of the other hookers. We want to have a look at Sam Parry, he's a big man at around 110 kilos. He's got a good carrying game and is a very physical player.

He's a slightly different player to Elliot, we know what Elliot can do and he's been spoken to. He knows he needs a run of games at club level to get his minutes back up and his form to where it needs to be.

He'll certainly be in consideration for the Six Nations.

From what I can take from it; Evans, Hewitt need to work on their defence I imagine. Will Griff John deemed not fit enough and they just fancied taking a look at Parry

I saw elsewhere that Anscombe has been ruled out for up to another year. At 29, you'd have to wonder if that's potentially career-ending.

That definitely opens a door for Sheedy. It was probably a touch mercenary for him to sit back and consider his options, but I think committing to Wales probably gives him the best chance at cementing a starting jersey ahead of the RWC in 2023. He probably would have had a good shot with Ireland too. I'd rather a Welshman played for Wales.

Will Griff John deemed not fit enough
Surprised at that,
Obviously they've got all the tapes and done the tests etc. so know a lot more than just me watching at home, but I've never once thought of him as unfit.
Such a shame because he's very good - I'd only put Francis ahead of him from Wales' options.
Maybe this leaves the door open for an England callup

Surprised at that,
Obviously they've got all the tapes and done the tests etc. so know a lot more than just me watching at home, but I've never once thought of him as unfit.
Such a shame because he's very good - I'd only put Francis ahead of him from Wales' options.
Maybe this leaves the door open for an England callup

Seems a bit weird that he was deemed fit enough in March now when he's had a lot more recent game time than the Wales based players but now he's not fit enough?
Like you said they have the tapes/data so perhaps he hasn't hit the targets that have been set? I thought he would get capped this Autumn to be honest.

Seems a bit weird that he was deemed fit enough in March now when he's had a lot more recent game time than the Wales based players but now he's not fit enough?
Like you said they have the tapes/data so perhaps he hasn't hit the targets that have been set? I thought he would get capped this Autumn to be honest.
My guess would be that he may not have been working as hard as he should've during lockdown. A lot of boys struggle to motivate themselves when they aren't in a team environment.

Latest posts