• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Rugby Championship] Round 3 Australia v South Africa (12/9/2021)

Yet his form is currently not at the best or even near. Best thing to help push a player to perform beter is competition for places thus I am saying bring in goosen that will push him for the starting spot. Elton Jantjies can't and neither will Morne Steyn. Willemse don't even know what he is anymore. I would also consider him a better option for #12. Our depth at #10 is really thin.
Please dont start blaming players after one game, can you not grasp the bigger picture?

finally got around to watching the game last night. wow Boks were weak. hits were soft . physicality non existent. what's happened to pollard? all the creattivity has been coached out of him. what a waste of a great talented 1st 5
why do Boks bother selecting backs? should just put in another forward pack
Love it when people go overboard like this. Provides great entertainment when reading these threads years later

I thought it was a good game.South Africa had a off day with the boot and disicpline plus missed kolbes x factor and the kicking game didnt work out for them.Aussie backs (Cooper,Kerevei,Kellaway,Ikitau) played well and the win made the RC interesting.Im one of the rare Nzers who like the way quade plays and with his last performance hope Aussie finally give him citizenship.

Is Pollard on form ? No. Guess I am not allow to say that.
He was not on form. But he has got enough class to overcome. Whoever you want to bring in will also lose form at some point. We need to balance picking form players against picking young players and building experience with them. Pollard is a project player, we can't go and throw away years of Build up because he is off form. We have committed and need to see this through. He needs to be played through some patches of bad form to become a better player come next world cup. And make no mistake. If he is available he will be picked.

His kicking was **** and part of the reason why we lost the game, but i have seen too many fans calling for the axe after this first loss. We gain more value by sticking with these players .

Last edited:
Real shame that Janse Van Rensburg and Snyman are not available, both are better than Orie.

He was not on form. But he has got enough class to overcome. Whoever you want to bring in will also lose form at some point. We need to balance picking form players against picking young players and building experience with them. Pollard is a project player, we can't go and throw away years of Build up because he is off form. We have committed and need to see this through. He needs to be played through some patches of bad form to become a better player come next world cup. And make no mistake. If he is available he will be picked.

His kicking was **** and part of the reason why we lost the game, but i have seen too many fans calling for the axe after this first loss. We gain more value by sticking with these players .
I never said throw him away I said that he is off form and that someone like Goosen will add healthy competition as Jantjies is no threat to his starting spot.

Did our maul not score a hattrick?
Brumbies of international rugby.

God mauls are shite. Randomly allowed to obstruct the ball carrier and even if a defender miraculously gets to the ball carrier legally he can't tackle him.

Its like they thought '**** it, let's just flip rugby on its head for this one part of the game'

God mauls are shite. Randomly allowed to obstruct the ball carrier and even if a defender miraculously gets to the ball carrier legally he can't tackle him.

Its like they thought '**** it, let's just flip rugby on its head for this one part of the game'
I get how people don't like it. Can't say I myself am the biggest fan of the maul. I suppose it can be seen as something of a spontaneous ad-hoc scrum but, yeah, for all the complaints about Rugby Union I don't agree with I wouldn't be sad to see mauls go.

Thats also a Scrum. Mauls arent the only legal obstruction. Part of what makes union so much more complex and more interesting than league.

Mauls is a complex art. Its shite when used against you and you dont know how to stop it, so i have empathy for you Derpus. I have also been distraught when my provincial team was destroyed by a better teams maul.

I get how people don't like it. Can't say I myself am the biggest fan of the maul. I suppose it can be seen as something of a spontaneous ad-hoc scrum but, yeah, for all the complaints about Rugby Union I don't agree with I wouldn't be sad to see mauls go.
I think the difference is technically no one is in possession for a scrum. A maul isn't a competition for possesion - which is the most fundamental aspect of rugby. Constant competition for the ball.

Make a good point Derpus. But I wonder if the scrum is a competition for the ball nowadays with the constant bent feeds.

I wonder if the kick taking time limit will be policed this time around. As well as Quade kicked, he took forever to kick, and Im pretty sure that there is a time limit for each kick. It slowed the game down so annoyingly.

I think the difference is technically no one is in possession for a scrum. A maul isn't a competition for possesion - which is the most fundamental aspect of rugby. Constant competition for the ball.
A maul cannot be executed unless a lineout is won, correct? A lineout is a competition for possession. Australia did a poor job disrupting the lineout basically the entire game. Would you like to remove lineouts as well?

A maul cannot be executed unless a lineout is won, correct? A lineout is a competition for possession. Australia did a poor job disrupting the lineout basically the entire game. Would you like to remove lineouts as well?
Yes a lineout is a competition for the ball. We are talking about the maul that follows the lineout.

Good contribution buddy.

Latest posts