• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Rugby Championship] Round 4 Australia v South Africa (18/9/2021)

Boks looked really good in the first 15 minutes or so when they ran the ball through their backs - then for some strange reason reverted back to 10-man rugby, basically kicking possession away, no team can afford to do that against the ABs... the Wallabies got caught in two minds a lot with the up & under/box kicks in this match, they either let the ball bounce or didn't positively attack the ball in the air.

Boks looked really good in the first 15 minutes or so when they ran the ball through their backs - then for some strange reason reverted back to 10-man rugby, basically kicking possession away, no team can afford to do that against the ABs... the Wallabies got caught in two minds a lot with the up & under/box kicks in this match, they either let the ball bounce or didn't positively attack the ball in the air.
They got a yellow card in the first 10 minutes and gave up two tries. Are we watching the same game?

If anything, the Boks tried to go wide and got turned over repeatedly. They should go back to the kicking game because 1.) they don't have the fitness level to play 80 minutes 2.) they don't have the continuity yet to play loose.

When have the springboks beaten the all blacks by not kicking?

They have had periods where they have run the ball more... anyway, it's about wanting to have the mindset to play positive rugby.

They got a yellow card in the first 10 minutes and gave up two tries. Are we watching the same game?

If anything, the Boks tried to go wide and got turned over repeatedly. They should go back to the kicking game because 1.) they don't have the fitness level to play 80 minutes 2.) they don't have the continuity yet to play loose.
The Boks did look good early in the backs though before the yellow card - of course when you're down to 14 man you need to be a bit more conservative... Boks shouldn't go back to just basically kicking, otherwise you are really restricting your options on attack, running the ball in the backs isn't playing loose, it's just playing rugby positively trying to create tries, loose is firing the ball all over the place like a headless chook.

The Boks actually looked good when they started to spread the ball in the second half. However the Wallabies knew the Boks were not fit enough to get to their ball carrier out wide so it was always going to be turnover city. If you haven't played helter skelter super rugby in 2 years then aerobically you were always going to struggle if the pace increased.

Great match. Going in, I thought the Springboks would win. Kudos to the Wallabies!

The Boks actually looked good when they started to spread the ball in the second half. However the Wallabies knew the Boks were not fit enough to get to their ball carrier out wide so it was always going to be turnover city. If you haven't played helter skelter super rugby in 2 years then aerobically you were always going to struggle if the pace increased.
No one was asking the Boks to play at a really fast pace for the whole match, but lets be honest it was very disappointing to only see them pass the ball about 2 or 3 times very early in the match through their backline, then just play 10-man rugby after that - with this Covid situation all the teams are going to be effected getting match play etc, so lack of match fitness isn't really an excuse for the Boks... if any team has the right to complain it's Argentina, they've had a real bloody nightmare, 7 or more of their squad members couldn't travel because of Covid, & have done a ton of travelling.

No one was asking the Boks to play at a really fast pace for the whole match, but lets be honest it was very disappointing to only see them pass the ball about 2 or 3 times very early in the match through their backline, then just play 10-man rugby after that -
Boks might surprise NZ and throw caution to the win by running the ball...with a no kick policy. Do what the Irish team did with Schmidt and hold on to possession as much as possible. Who knows?

Please. We are penalty machines. Drop goals are only for when we cant win with penalties. If we need tries to win I just switch it off cause that aint happening.
I think the Boks win this week. Call it homerism or whatever, but right now, Lood is the most important player on the Boks Team. Not only is he the best #5 in the world, he completely dominates the lineout, gets across the gainline, and is a reliable tackler.

Besides a lengthy quarantine and lacking match fitness, the Boks have really missed PDST, Lood, and RG. All three of them are consistent carries that get across the gainline. If the Boks cannot get across the gainline, you completely neuter DDA's running ability.

If I'm the Boks this week, I am doubling down on kick chase and using the forward pack to attack. The Boks don't have the stamina to consistently go wide and have support to ruck effectively. We saw that last week with Mostert looking particular out-of-sorts after being an absolute workhorse during the B&I series.

No ways we win. We might be competitive yeah, but All Blacks are far too much class for a team who only plays 80% of what rugby is. Also disappointed in the team. Kwagga is not international quality. Neither is Nkosi, and Mbonambi has been terrible this whole year. I would have also dropped Faf out of principle, and to set a standard. You do crap like that and you are gone. End of story.

No ways we win. We might be competitive yeah, but All Blacks are far too much class for a team who only plays 80% of what rugby is. Also disappointed in the team. Kwagga is not international quality. Neither is Nkosi, and Mbonambi has been terrible this whole year. I would have also dropped Faf out of principle, and to set a standard. You do crap like that and you are gone. End of story.
Any Given Sunday.

Boks might surprise NZ and throw caution to the win by running the ball...with a no kick policy. Do what the Irish team did with Schmidt and hold on to possession as much as possible. Who knows?
All teams need to kick the ball in general play, but it's about executing those kicks smartly & accurately... Boks are going to have a much better chance against the ABs if they use their backs a bit more, basically vary their tactics consistently on attack, always try to keep the opposition in two minds.

Not the response i expected . I enjoyed the game(love how Kerevis been playing)Koroibete,Ikitau ,Cooper, Tupou and Philp had good games while the Boks played good in patches and where close at half time but dropped off from about 50 mins onwards with Aussie able to up the tempo to win .South Africa will be under huge pressure to win so expecting a good game and All Black Victory(Hopefully).

Latest posts