• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England Squad

Out of curiosity, why is it that in Barbeary's case his playing in the back row means that there must be something wrong with his set piece or he's a long term back rower, but in Isiekwe's case he's just too good to be left out and his set piece must be absolutely fine?
Because Wasps are playing Oghre ahead of Barbeary at 2, and Oghre is really bad at the setpiece and also plays backrow, makes no sense to have them that way round if Barbeary is better

So then once again, why is it that he hardly ever plays lock if he's apparently so good at the set piece? I didn't specifically say he's bad in the lineout, I said that for some reason coaches don't play him at lock so there must be something wrong with his set piece; whether that be lineout or scrum - you're right that its probably not lineout.
Because he plays 6 as well, and Ribbans and Ratuniyarawa don't?
I dunno, I'm just guessing - he played lock for Saracens though, and I'd trust their pack work more than Saints tbh

Because Wasps are playing Oghre ahead of Barbeary at 2, and Oghre is really bad at the setpiece and also plays backrow, makes no sense to have them that way round if Barbeary is better

Because he plays 6 as well, and Ribbans and Ratuniyarawa don't?
I dunno, I'm just guessing - he played lock for Saracens though, and I'd trust their pack work more than Saints tbh
All good points. Like I've said, I hope Isiekwe does come good as we desperately need a proper tighthead lock to partner Itoje. I just think that it's massively premature when people say that he should be right in the England fold when ultimately, he is currently a second choice blindside for Saints.

All good points. Like I've said, I hope Isiekwe does come good as we desperately need a proper tighthead lock to partner Itoje. I just think that it's massively premature when people say that he should be right in the England fold when ultimately, he is currently a second choice blindside for Saints.
Great argument you 2.

Lock's obviously a position of strength at the moment, but I think this also partly circles back to the earlier discussion about whether Jones thinking stops at 23. If Jones was bothered about a longer term legacy then Isiekwe is precisely the type of player he'd be developing, particularly as the next generation of locks otherwise doesn't quite seem to be as good as we're used to.

If Isiekwe was playing brilliantly at lock, there's a good chance he'd be selected. As it is, he's playing OK as a 6 which puts him in competition for an area where we've got a huge amount of objectively better options.

I can imagine a situation where he'd be called up and played at 6 and everyone here calling for his inclusion would be complaining about it.

For me, a simple pre-requisite for a player being selected for England is being picked in the position they play in week-in, week-out. Playing all your club rugby at 6 and then being asked to play as a tighthead lock in a tier 1 test is a big ask ...

For me, a simple pre-requisite for a player being selected for England is being picked in the position they play in week-in, week-out.
1613937761685.png

I wasn't suggesting that Isiekwe or Kpoku should start or even make the bench. However what is point of having Ewels in the squad, when it's clear he will never be good enough at this level.
He dosent have the size, or athletic ability, if he excelled in the loose or over the ball a case could be made. However he is a 17st lock that is seemingly of average rugby ability.

Isiekwe has the size, weight and athletic ability to be a top lock imo. It's a complete failure of EJ to manage our young players of promise. One bad game and your our out seemingly for good.
Yet Youngs and Farrell have multiple terrible games... are in. Where is the succession and more importantly bringing in players that are potentially better.

Randall out of the squad,
Bad ankle injury in training, apparently

Alex Mitchell called up, Ben Spencer punching air rn

I wasn't suggesting that Isiekwe or Kpoku should start or even make the bench. However what is point of having Ewels in the squad, when it's clear he will never be good enough at this level.
He dosent have the size, or athletic ability, if he excelled in the loose or over the ball a case could be made. However he is a 17st lock that is seemingly of average rugby ability.

Isiekwe has the size, weight and athletic ability to be a top lock imo. It's a complete failure of EJ to manage our young players of promise. One bad game and your our out seemingly for good.
Yet Youngs and Farrell have multiple terrible games... are in. Where is the succession and more importantly bringing in players that are potentially better.
Whilst I see your sense Iieskwe can't displace Ribbans, Moon, Ali
Lawes or Coles at mt team Saints.
In a way he is true hybrid player who can play 6 or lock however not in same field as Mario or Lawes.
Kpoku is a WIP shed loads better in prem at premiership at present, however given a year or so he may be a player.
Jury out at this time.

Iseikwe was also signed as a replaced for Brussow because Boyd said there wasn't what he was looking for in the player market. So the loan deal was based on him being a 6. I mean he was only really competing with an aging Tom Wood.

I still stand by the statement that he's a better lock than 6 from watching him play but he was signed as back row and had mainly played back row.

Don't know how many of you will be able to get to this behind the paywall, but it's fairly astonishing. Daly, George, Wigglesworth and Genge all praising Farrell's leadership to the skies. Obvs a massive element of 'they would say that, wouldn't they' but they are effusive in the extreme.

Latest posts